new dh bike?

Nov. 7, 2008, 7:05 p.m.

Well im planning to build up a new bike this year and have now handed down my 07 shore w/66rc3 to the lady so thats what ive been riding, so im looking for some opinions for my new bike first off i want to build a full travel dh rig which will mostly see whistler and the odd shore or woodlot ride but not many,i dont go huge but im learning, i weight about 175 geared up, ok so my bike choice i did want to stay with a norco cause i got good support @ my lbs but thats not gonna happen.I wanted a 09 atomik but norco wants 2300ish for the frame which is laughable, so my second choice is a blindside which ive heard some mixed reviews on but mostly positive, i have no real good reason why but i dont want a specialized and im not really into giants or treks, cove maybe? oh ya and im gonna use a boxxer w/c. thanks for your time and comments.

http://carcraftautorepair.ca/

Follow Us On FaceBook

Nov. 7, 2008, 7:29 p.m.

Foes Dhs 2:1

iforonewelcome.com

Nov. 7, 2008, 7:43 p.m.

Budget?

www.FVMBA.com 

"If everything seems in control, you're not going fast enough."
-Mario Andretti-

Nov. 7, 2008, 7:55 p.m.

Budget?

well id like to keep it under 2g for the frame but may bend if theres a really good reason to.

Follow Us On FaceBook

Nov. 7, 2008, 8:41 p.m.

if you are looking at the transition then look at the banshee scythe which is also local and Canadian,
-has 7 or 8 inches of adjustable travel instead of just 8
-adjustable head angle/ bb height
-maxle (QR but through axle) rear end
-slightly lighter frame
-1.5 steer
-internally ribbed seatstays and chainstays (stiffer rear end)
-12mmx 150mm rear hub spacing instead of 10mm 135mm (what are the advantages to running 10mmx135mm on a big bike anyways?)
-the same style of suspension
-hydroformed tubing
-banshee doesn't offer a floating break kit because you don't need one
-and finally your choice of rear shock with the Fox DHX5.0 at 2g and a manitou swinger 6way being like 1750.

oh and I almost forgot. A two year manufacture's warranty on the Banshee Scythe instead of the one year offered by Transition

www.knollybikes.com

:canada:

Nov. 7, 2008, 8:53 p.m.

ya it does seem quite similiar, i read that the blindside does have a loose feel to the rear end any one know if the internally ribbed chainstay stated on the scythe is a stiffer feel.

Follow Us On FaceBook

Nov. 7, 2008, 9 p.m.

You couldn't pay me enough to throw a leg over an 09 Norco.

And this coming from a die hard Norco Guy!

You do not want to hear it. But bang for buck go Giant
my twocents

Nov. 7, 2008, 9:05 p.m.

go for the glory

Life's not a bitch, Life is a beautiful woman, you just call her a bitch cause she wont let you get that pussy.

Nov. 7, 2008, 9:07 p.m.

ya it does seem quite similiar, i read that the blindside does have a loose feel to the rear end any one know if the internally ribbed chainstay stated on the scythe is a stiffer feel.

I'm giving you all of this information because after a season on one I am in love. The rear end tracks straight and stiff! WIth a whistler seasons pass and countless, fromme and cypress days on punishing it this season I know others will like it. Oh and the if you do like it then consider the anodizing paint job. It still looks like new.

Here is a review from another rider over the summer.
http://www.pinkbike.com/news/banshee-scythe-review-2008.html

www.knollybikes.com

:canada:

Nov. 7, 2008, 9:30 p.m.

sounds like alot of people really like it, ill put it on the list to check out thanks.

Follow Us On FaceBook

Nov. 7, 2008, 9:38 p.m.

I highly doubt the Banshee would have that feel. Banshee has always had a focus on having very solid, stiff frames. The internal ribbing will help, and the 12x150 will most likely almost be unnecessary on the Banshee anyways, as it would most likely be quite stiff even without it. So, yes… it will be stiffer. For what it is worth, my Chaparral is quite stiff already, and it has a 135mm qr. The Scythe will be much stiffer even.

22 Pride

Nov. 7, 2008, 11:07 p.m.

Giant Glory FTW!

I find the Giants have excellent value and great quality frames.

Nov. 7, 2008, 11:33 p.m.

Get a demo, although I am somewhat biased because I bought a demo 7 2 months ago and I am loving it.
Rear end sticks like glue and the geometry is bang on for going down hill. I was in the same spot as you a few months ago. There is only so much research you can do online, go out and test ride a bunch of bikes and pick the one that feels right.

Nov. 8, 2008, noon

I bought a demo 8 just before the summer. At first I didn't really want the bike, but after I rode it I was blown away. The bike rips, it corners amazingly, has a low center of gravity, and is really stable at high speeds. My friend, who rode a shocker at the time, took my Demo down A-line while his bike was getting fixed. He was really shocked at how well it jumps and how good the bike feels.
I say at least take a demo for a test ride, it's a really sick bike.

Nov. 9, 2008, 10:27 a.m.

Don't forget to the Devinci Wilson. Canadian made, lifetime warranty, frame only's available with air or coil shock. Also had some good reviews.