New body armour....input please

Jan. 10, 2021, 12:38 p.m.

The new park season is hopefully upon us one day...and I need you guys' input concerning body armour.

So far I have used the old 661 evo suit (not the compression one, but the one from a long time ago, the one with the really hard shells) since it had been unused for some looong time. But since 2017 I clocked some serious paek mileage in the Alps and my neck of the woods.

I think it is time for something new. The breastplate is sort of deformed and I am afraid that it is a bit old for full on park weeks. 

While out riding trails I had two minor spills the last few days which made me order the light Fox baseframe pro vest, I reckon light enough for trail riding and decent protection when taking a dive on trails...spine and chest as a bare mininum. My speed on trails is not anywhere near park speed. 

For park, the upper body protection should be a bit on the heavier side, but I have no clue about the current technology.

Shall I go with

A) a light d30 shirt like the Baseframe pro plus a roost guard like the Raptor over it? Have some newish Roach elbow pads that have not seen a crash as well....

OR

B) a 661 d30 evo compression suit or the Fox Titan Sport jacket 

for full on park riding?

The offerings from POC and Leatt are too expensive unfortunately since I have to get new body armour for my kid as well, helmet included.

"You don't learn from experience. You learn from reflecting on the experience."
- Kristen Ulmer

Last edited by: Mic on Jan. 10, 2021, 12:42 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
March 5, 2021, 1:13 p.m.

So..for trail riding I decided to get the d30 equipped Fox baseframe vest for both me and my kiddo. 

On top of this he is going to wear the Leatt 4.5 chest protector and an O Neal neck brace thingy, while I got the Fox Raptor to wear over the vest. Never had one like that. Definitely feels different to my old armour. 

Happy Metal.

March 7, 2021, 8:27 p.m.

I use the IXS Flow vest when I’m somewhere scary - I broke my back years ago, and it gives me peace of mind. If I’m reaching for a full face I’ll put it on.

The heavier duty trigger has the same D30/X-Matter spine protection along with padded arm and chest sections. There’s also a model in the middle, the Carve with padded panels at the chest.

https://ixs.com/us/moto/motorcycle-garment/protectorsslider/protectors/1462/trigger-upper-body-protective-grey

I’ve found the flow vest comfortable enough for really big days, it has two small pockets for snacks, and it breathes really well. It’s held shape for 2-3 years and not gotten stinky either. The heavier duty trigger might suit you for trails. I still don’t think much rivals a hard shell like the Cleaver if you’re going really fast - the ability to slide and deflect is different in my experience.

March 8, 2021, 3:08 a.m.

I tried the IXS offerings last season but found them a bit on the weird side of fit.

And yes, high speeds and high speed crashes in the bp call for hard shell that can slide and deflect.