New bike time on a budget - need advice

June 17, 2021, 8:10 p.m.

Posted by: a-d-s

Thanks guys. I managed to find a shop that had a L and XL on the floor (props to North Shore Bike Shop) and they let me parking lot test them back to back. The Xl felt totally fine, it's big for sure, but when standing and going down a slope it felt totally fine. Unfortunately that XL was an A2, out of my price range, so I'll wait for the A3 from Norco North Shore next week.

Awesome! It’s a COVID bike shopping miracle.

July 26, 2021, 4:21 p.m.

Just an update, it's been a month. I've ridden the bike in all conditions: Squamish tech, Whistler Lost lake blues, Bike park a couple days, Fromme most trails. I can say the size issues are not even a thought anymore, it feels like it fits perfect. When I jump on my old bike (which is now my son's) it can't believe I rode it!

I can also confidently say the climbing thing is the real deal with the new geometry. It's not that I can get up more techy bits of climbing trails, it's that I can do them with less effort, so I am not nearly as winded, and this is with a 37 lb bike! I could always do any one-off section, then have a rest, but now I can link stuff up and keep going. Descending, the 29" tires make short work of trails like Expresso. Jumping and drops have taken a little adjustment, but getting there. So all in all, very happy with the Sight XL!

July 27, 2021, 5:08 a.m.

Glad to hear that! And cool that you already took it to all kinds of great riding areas!

Last edited by: Znarf on July 27, 2021, 5:09 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
July 27, 2021, 10:58 a.m.

Just an update, it's been a month. I've ridden the bike in all conditions: Squamish tech, Whistler Lost lake blues, Bike park a couple days, Fromme most trails. I can say the size issues are not even a thought anymore, it feels like it fits perfect. When I jump on my old bike (which is now my son's) it can't believe I rode it!

I can also confidently say the climbing thing is the real deal with the new geometry. It's not that I can get up more techy bits of climbing trails, it's that I can do them with less effort, so I am not nearly as winded, and this is with a 37 lb bike! I could always do any one-off section, then have a rest, but now I can link stuff up and keep going. Descending, the 29" tires make short work of trails like Expresso. Jumping and drops have taken a little adjustment, but getting there. So all in all, very happy with the Sight XL!

Nice! Any pictures to share?

July 27, 2021, 10:49 p.m.

Just a quick snap:

Bike park with oldest and youngest

July 27, 2021, 10:50 p.m.

Posted by: Znarf

Glad to hear that! And cool that you already took it to all kinds of great riding areas!

Off this weekend for Osoyoos, Naramata, Revelstoke then Silver Star. Hopefully lots of riding and all the bikes and family hold up!

Last edited by: a-d-s on July 27, 2021, 10:51 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
July 28, 2021, 9:16 a.m.

Posted by: Znarf

Off this weekend for Osoyoos, Naramata, Revelstoke then Silver Star. Hopefully lots of riding and all the bikes and family hold up!

Have fun. Id make sure to double check the air quality in those places. Gonna be a nasty combo of smoke and heat this weekend!