New Bike Time! Giant Reign or Commencal Meta V4?

July 15, 2016, 1:14 p.m.

So after taking a few years off from riding DH with injuries I got back into riding last year when I bought a 2015 Trance 2 27.5. I actually really like the bike a lot and I've been pleasantly surprised by how capable the bike is on almost all trails. As a family man in my late 30's I don't push as hard on the downhills anymore and enjoy the pedally bits now more than ever. We bought and moved to the Sunshine Coast early this year and I have been riding now more than ever. The trails here are nice and mellow compared to the North Shore but I would like a bike with a little more travel that I could take to Coast Gravity Park while still getting out and doing some XC'ish laps in between Sechelt and Robert's Creek. The Trance has been awesome but it's definitely let down by it's entry level suspension. I've tried to work with stock Fox CTD Evolution suspension and it always feels sketchy when things get fast and loose. I would consider upgrading the suspension but once you look into what I'd be into the bike for it probably makes the most sense to sell it and get a new better all around build. That's my justification anyway.

The two bikes I'm considering are:

Commencal Meta V4 Race - Currently $4400 with a built kit that I can't seem to fault. Anyone had any time on it and care to share their experiences? All reviews on it seem to be top notch and the value seems excellent. I'm totally happy with an aluminum frame. Never owned carbon/composite.

Giant Reign Advanced 1 - Currently $5300 also with a nice build. I am partial to Shimano and the XT kit is pretty much impossible to fault. Also hard to find a negative word about the Reign. Never owned carbon and it is appealing but it's not something that will sway me to buy it especially when the Reign is $1000 more expensive. For it's carbon frame and build I don't know of another bike that can touch it in terms of value and performance.

Any other good value AM/Enduro bikes in the $4000 - $5000 range that I should be considering? The YT Capra Comp 1 AL is intriguing but the build doesn't seem to be on par (shifting and brakes) with the Giant or the Commencal.

I haven't had a brand new bike since I was a kid. It's time.

Thanks NSMB.

July 15, 2016, 2:15 p.m.

The Capra is a lot of bike. Maybe the Jeffsy? 29" and capable but a bit more all round. No personal experience with either though.

I wouldnt let the few days of gravity riding dictate the purchase. If you do 90% trail riding then I´d buy a trail bike.

July 15, 2016, 3:17 p.m.

I ride a Meta V4 and like it a lot as an all-rounder. Mine has a non-Debonair Monarch that makes it feel a bit firmer off the top, which helps versatility.

Unfortunately I haven't ridden a Reign or Trance to compare.

But for comparison, I was riding a Kona Process 134 before with Float X Evol in back, and I find the efficiency of my Meta V4 to be similar.

July 15, 2016, 3:36 p.m.

Upgrade a few bits on the Trance. Put a 36 or Pike on the front and Cane Creek / Debonair on the back and you pretty much have a Reign (lite) at a much more friendly price.

July 15, 2016, 3:45 p.m.

If you are going to be doing "XC'ish" laps, the Reign may not be your best bet. She's long, low and slack. Every time I do technical climbs, I'm striking pedals and really having to manage tight turns. She goes like hell pointed down though.

I would likely go the route that Rideitall is recommending - beef up the Trance and see if it fits the need

July 15, 2016, 4:48 p.m.

Agreed the Reign is low and slack, but once you figure out the right shock pressure, and a bit of pedal timing skill, its as great a climber as descender. I prefer it for XC over my Ti hardtail 29er.

July 15, 2016, 4:58 p.m.

I have a Reign and I don't have many complaints, but it is long and low so it's not the greatest trail bike out there.

July 15, 2016, 8:50 p.m.

Neither is the Scout. Give it a pass.

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.

July 15, 2016, 8:52 p.m.

Thanks for all of the responses guys.

Here's the thing: I don't mind long, low, slack, if it still pedals well. I've spent the majority of my time on DH bikes slogging up Fromme when I wasn't in Whistler. I was even that idiot on the demo forest road with my Demo 9 (!) with the girl friend way back when. I want efficiency obviously but I guess I'm looking for a very good all arounder that's a light-ish, can still do a 10k mixed XC/AM/DH ride, but still take to Whistler or CGP when I get the urge.

I do feel like the Trance is somewhat close but bombing the B[HTML_REMOVED]K trails there's something about it that just doesn't do it for me. That could be the suspension, the geometry, or both. Adding a 160mm Pike is tempting but the prices people seem to ask for clapped out forks makes me want to vomit in my mouth a little. Dropping $1000+ on a newer fork and shock makes me wonder if it's worth doing or if it was better to sell, factor in the new suspension costs, and then add another $1000 to get a new whip which might be the be all end all bike.

I've been out of it for a while so I don't know just how well these new 5-6" AM bikes perform as an all day/all around bike. The last few years have really changed bikes significantly from when I rode. Even 5 years ago aggressive 6" bikes were heavy "freeride" bikes that were nothing more than a DH bike with a single crown. I had a 35lb Demo 7 that I built pretty light and would do some longer rides on the North Shore on. I thought I was pretty awesome :) Times have certainly changed.

July 15, 2016, 8:56 p.m.

Neither is the Scout. Give it a pass.

Say what now?

July 15, 2016, 10:38 p.m.

If you are going to be doing "XC'ish" laps, the Reign may not be your best bet. She's long, low and slack. Every time I do technical climbs, I'm striking pedals and really having to manage tight turns. She goes like hell pointed down though.

Uphills too but only on smooth. The steep seat angle, long cockpit combo is simply luxurious. For huge climbs it's the most pain free bike I've ever had.

On really tech climbing though I agree, it's a lot of suck. Lots of pedal strikes and long and ungainly.

I'm going to say that you'll forever be in "like" with the Trance. It's a very fine trail bike, but it doesn't quite give that rippable feeling to someone that's more familiar with big bikes. I'm betting once you get on a Reign or something comparable, with lower center of gravity, shorter back end and slacker head angle, it'll feel like coming home.

I looked lovingly at that Meta in the LBS too. So many lovely bikes out there…There was a Scott Genius too parked next to the Meta that was dreamy.

Norco Range? Bit different but the RM Thunderbolt is all floating hearts too.

https://nsmba.ca/product-category/memberships/

July 16, 2016, 1:31 a.m.

Thanks for the insight Hepcat. I don't do a lot (if any) tech climbs. Mainly fire road stuff with some rocky links between trails. The XC stuff on the SSC is very flat compared to the North Shore so I don't think and Enduro bike is going to suffer much at all. I really do like the Trance on trails but the downhill stuff is blah at best. Not a lot of confidence. It's almost what I want but not quite. Still a tough decision.

I need to kick tires at some Giant dealers and see if they can work a deal for me. If I could get the price down a bit I'd probably go for the Reign Advanced 1. The Commencal is super tempting. I like that not everyone has one and the more reviews I read the more I want to pull the trigger. I guess it comes down to carbon or aluminum. I just want something to last. I'm not dropping $5k on a bike to sell it in a year. I'll likely keep it for 3-5.

July 16, 2016, 6:34 a.m.

Thanks for the insight Hepcat. I don't do a lot (if any) tech climbs. Mainly fire road stuff with some rocky links between trails. The XC stuff on the SSC is very flat compared to the North Shore so I don't think and Enduro bike is going to suffer much at all. I really do like the Trance on trails but the downhill stuff is blah at best. Not a lot of confidence. It's almost what I want but not quite. Still a tough decision.

I need to kick tires at some Giant dealers and see if they can work a deal for me. If I could get the price down a bit I'd probably go for the Reign Advanced 1. The Commencal is super tempting. I like that not everyone has one and the more reviews I read the more I want to pull the trigger. I guess it comes down to carbon or aluminum. I just want something to last. I'm not dropping $5k on a bike to sell it in a year. I'll likely keep it for 3-5.

I can vouch for the Commencal… I rode one last year… super capable bike…

July 16, 2016, 8:13 a.m.

I am very happy with my new Altitude 750 msl. The adjustable geometry means you can leave if fairly slack and low for park days and then steepen it a bit for everything else. Might be on the lighter side of things though but I am surprised how stiff it is coming from an older bike.

vegetarian: an ancient word for "likes to stay home with the ladies…"

July 16, 2016, 9:58 a.m.

I have a Meta AM V4 essential and having a blast on it so far. My last frame was a 2011 transition covert and the only thing I liked better about that bike was I got less pedal strikes on it when climbing than the Meta. I've had to adjust my pedaling a bit but it hasn't really been a problem.