New Angleset for IS

July 24, 2020, 9:14 a.m.

Surprised this didn't make the front page!

https://www.9point8.ca/index.php?route=product/product&path=124&product_id=261

I'm getting one stat for the chameleon. It's slack enough now running as a mullet but this will allow me to try 29er front and rear and keep HTA similar to the mullet. 

I think it's pretty brilliant.

July 24, 2020, 10:04 a.m.

I was wondering if this might be a solution for folks with ovalized/lightly damaged IS headset cups?  Cases where the structural integrity of the headset area isn't in question, but the bearings no longer seat without an unacceptable amount of play.

July 24, 2020, 10:11 a.m.

Real question for me. How is it gonna be to remove down the road if needed. This is BC moisture gets everywhere over time. Also lots of threads . Dirt loves threads LOL.

July 24, 2020, 10:19 a.m.

Can't see it being worse than a threaded BB or thread together BB setup for a press fit frame. Plenty of marine grease and let er rip. 

Vik a guy on the PB comments mentioned that and it wasn't a bad point - they could probably make a zero degree option. Funny but true.

July 24, 2020, 10:22 a.m.

Where the threads are is pretty deep inside the head tube area. Not a part of my bike that gets dirty.

July 24, 2020, 11:01 a.m.

Posted by: Vikb

Where the threads are is pretty deep inside the head tube area. Not a part of my bike that gets dirty.

Yup, and not an area you'd have to worry about washing good grease out of.

Drop in (IS) bearings are one of my most disliked things about bikes currently.

July 24, 2020, 12:27 p.m.

Especially since it's not a low point in the frame where water will settle. I wouldn't be too worried about it at all provided the sealing is good in the bearings.

July 24, 2020, 1:44 p.m.

Mine will be here next week. Definitely looking forward to checking it out.

July 25, 2020, 9:09 a.m.

Looked at this only briefly, but these look like they change the head angle based on the height of the lower headset cup? As opposed to changing the axis of the fork steertube within the head tube of the frame to achieve the angle change.

More options are better than less for sure, but I'm not sure this product does it for me without affecting too many other variables

July 25, 2020, 1:18 p.m.

Posted by: UFO

Looked at this only briefly, but these look like they change the head angle based on the height of the lower headset cup? As opposed to changing the axis of the fork steertube within the head tube of the frame to achieve the angle change.

More options are better than less for sure, but I'm not sure this product does it for me without affecting too many other variables

Nope, they change the actual axis.

July 25, 2020, 11:23 p.m.

Posted by: Kenny

Nope, they change the actual axis.

Good to know. So different steertube axis. External lower cup which would slacken both HA and SA and shorten reach. External upper cup which could also further shorten reach. I'm not smart enough to bracket these changes all at once, but it seems like a lot to me. 

Really curious how the net effect of this works out, please report back. I don't have an vested interest in this right now, but who knows for the future

July 26, 2020, 7:56 a.m.

The lower cup would raise the front end some, but making the frame slacker via changing the steerer tube angle lowers it. I think BB height and seat tube angle are probably about a wash depending on what length fork you're working with and what kit you get.  Since there's cups above and below I'm sure the stack ends up slightly higher, and with the steering axis change reaches gets shorter like basically every angle set. 

In my case I run my hardtail as a mullet which slackens the bike out about 2 degrees which is helpful on the shore. 

My intent is to use the angle kit to slacken it just under two degrees and then I can try a 29er wheel on the back, which will raose the rear of the bike so net difference in head tube angle is roughly nothing. 

So since I'm doing the angle set in combination with a larger rear wheel I will have higher BB, steeper seat tube, slightly more reach, same head angle. I don't know if that will be a net positive but it's a fun experiment. I suspect the BB might feel too high actually.

July 29, 2020, 9:33 p.m.

Was too good to be true. 

The upper cup doesn't fit in my head tube. Several mm too large in diameter. 

I guess it might fit in the aluminum version of the frame. Kinda makes me wonder if it fits any carbon santa Cruz frames...

July 30, 2020, 10:20 a.m.

Was too good to be true. 

I guess it might fit in the aluminum version of the frame. Kinda makes me wonder if it fits any carbon santa Cruz frames...

If it's the right cup, it should fit - diameter makes me think they sent you the wrong cup.

July 31, 2020, 9:39 a.m.

Was too good to be true. 

Can you elaborate? It doesn't seem like an IS41 upper cup can be off by several mm. 

Looking at 9.8 schematics and it seems like it should be a simple drop in fit. Do the SC carbon head tubes taper internally such that the threaded portion of the upper cup doesn't just drop in? IS41 should be IS41...