New Angleset for IS

July 31, 2020, 11 p.m.

Posted by: UFO

Posted by: Kenny

Was too good to be true.

The upper cup doesn't fit in my head tube. Several mm too large in diameter.

I guess it might fit in the aluminum version of the frame. Kinda makes me wonder if it fits any carbon santa Cruz frames...

Can you elaborate? It doesn't seem like an IS41 upper cup can be off by several mm.

Looking at 9.8 schematics and it seems like it should be a simple drop in fit. Do the SC carbon head tubes taper internally such that the threaded portion of the upper cup doesn't just drop in? IS41 should be IS41...

Yes, that's correct. The threaded portion doesn't fit inside the head tube. The ID of the upper "bearing race" as it is formed into the frame is much smaller than the OD of the threaded portion of the upper cup.

Last edited by: Kenny on July 31, 2020, 11:01 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Aug. 10, 2020, 6:39 a.m.

9 point 9 SLACK-R installed on a SC Carbon Chameleon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRYIzYa7mxg

Aug. 10, 2020, 10:32 p.m.

Ha yeah I saw that cruising YouTube and was hoping maybe my frame was just a little out of spec but nope, he had to hog out the upper bearing race area by 2mm to make it fit. 

I have been playing with the idea of doing that, I haven't returned it yet, but the thought of doing that to my $2000 carbon frame freaks me out still...

Aug. 11, 2020, 6:28 a.m.

Posted by: Kenny

Ha yeah I saw that cruising YouTube and was hoping maybe my frame was just a little out of spec but nope, he had to hog out the upper bearing race area by 2mm to make it fit.

I have been playing with the idea of doing that, I haven't returned it yet, but the thought of doing that to my $2000 carbon frame freaks me out still...

I worked in aerospace composite manufacturing for 7 years and what HTP describes is correct so I don't think there is any issue with the amount of sanding he did in that area...especially once you install that metal 9.8 sleeve, but I understand the trepidation you'd feel about altering a new $$$ frame.

My buddy is dealing with a damaged headset cup on an integrated headset design carbon frame so the nice thing about the 9.8 product is it does away with that potential issue happening in the future.

Last edited by: Vikb on Aug. 11, 2020, 6:29 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
Aug. 11, 2020, 8:11 a.m.

Posted by: Vikb

9 point 9 SLACK-R installed on a SC Carbon Chameleon.

That's a great video. I had a hard time imagining the issue, and I'm thinking about a Chameleon and would want a Slack-R.

Aug. 13, 2020, 8:57 a.m.

This could be a way to defeat a knock block on a Trek too.

Aug. 25, 2020, 9:18 p.m.

Forgot to update this -i broke down and did the surgery a couple weeks ago. It was a little savage but not too bad. Definitely does give the bike that extra smidge of confidence when tipping down steep things. Time will tell if it starts creaking or frame goes up in flames I guess. Only a couple rides so far. Will update again in a month or two.