new 29er wheel build: Flow EX vs LB

May 16, 2015, 2:12 p.m.

i've never ridden Flow's but by most accounts they are very good. the new 30mm wide Nancy rims have rave reviews but a pair are more than double the price (but far less than the high end alternatives) when you factor in USD and shipping, maybe even import duties(?). neither option is exactly cheap, but the Flows are still much less expensive. narrower, heavier… anyone who has ridden both, pls chime in.

May 16, 2015, 7:55 p.m.

Very happy with the my 30mm hookless plastic rims. They've held up well.

May 16, 2015, 8:15 p.m.

what did you pay in shipping, duties and taxes?

May 17, 2015, 3:07 a.m.

I haven't tried the LB rims, but I went from Flow Ex's to Nobl 35's in my Tallboy LTc and have been nothing but impressed. Still perfectly true after a year and I like the noticeably stiffer ride.

Flows were ok but I was having to true them within a couple of weeks. To me carbon is the way to go if you can afford it and you plan on riding hard on a 29er.

May 17, 2015, 11:28 a.m.

I haven't tried the LB rims, but I went from Flow Ex's to Nobl 35's in my Tallboy LTc and have been nothing but impressed. Still perfectly true after a year and I like the noticeably stiffer ride.

Flows were ok but I was having to true them within a couple of weeks. To me carbon is the way to go if you can afford it and you plan on riding hard on a 29er.

I would agree with that. First proper ride on carbon wheels had me turning into familiar turns way too hard, amazing how much I was compensating for the flex in the old wheels.

Jon-boy.

May 17, 2015, 8:38 p.m.

My thoughts too. I won't ride anything but carbon rims on my 29ers because of the increased precision that they offer. It really makes my bikes handle like they should.

I haven't tried Flow EX rims but I've never been keen on the noodliness of any Stan's rims that I've ridden in the past.