Need More Clipless Pedal Tension

Jan. 15, 2018, 12:53 p.m.

So I'm running out of SPD spring tension. I'm running my DX and XTR trail pedals at max tension. I still blow out at least once per ride, which is super sketchy. Yes I replace my cleats regularly - I went through two pairs over last summer season.

The only pedal that seems to possibly offer more tension are the HT T1 and A1 pedals, both of which look promising. But after years of maintenance-free Shimano quality it's hard to imagine going back to fancy pedals that need lots of maintenance, plus not being able to get replacement cleats nearby.

Has anyone tried the new Time ATACs (MX8 or MX6)? Nukeproof Horizons?

There's nothing better than an Orangina after cheating death with Digger.

Jan. 15, 2018, 3:32 p.m.

I can vouch for both the HT T1 and A1 pedals.   Mega retention and reliable.

Jan. 15, 2018, 4:45 p.m.

Are you using them year-round? How often do you service them?

Jan. 16, 2018, 8:25 a.m.

You blow out of SPD's? as long as you keep them pointed forward shouldn't you foot stay clipped so they only unclip when your foot goes sideways?  SPD's used to max out at 10+ clicks which i found too much and so i only ever run 5

Jan. 16, 2018, 8:59 a.m.

How old are those pedals?  One wear point that doesn’t get mentioned much are the pivots for the binding mechanism and the steel contact points as well. I would try someone’s brand new pedals to see if there is a tighter connection. Also the small platform on the race and trail pedals wears out where the shoe contacts it and where the clear contacts the steel bits. I think those parts are replaceable.

Jan. 16, 2018, 12:31 p.m.

Hey craw, the new XT Trail pedals seem to have a stiffer spring than the new XTR Trails. I noticed this recently while swapping between test bikes and using both sets of pedals (both new). I fired a question off to Shimano to find out if the XT Trails have a stiffer spring but haven't heard back yet. I love the XTRs and run 'em cranked all the way down and that's sufficient for me, whereas those XTs were too stiff and I hadn't even cranked them in all the way. Only slightly heavier, but cheaper = great option.

Jan. 16, 2018, 12:51 p.m.

Posted by: [email protected]

Hey craw, the new XT Trail pedals seem to have a stiffer spring than the new XTR Trails. I noticed this recently while swapping between test bikes and using both sets of pedals (both new). I fired a question off to Shimano to find out if the XT Trails have a stiffer spring but haven't heard back yet. I love the XTRs and run 'em cranked all the way down and that's sufficient for me, whereas those XTs were too stiff and I hadn't even cranked them in all the way. Only slightly heavier, but cheaper = great option.

That's an ideal solution if it's true. My current pedals are XTR but I have zero issue using XT. Do you think this logic applies to DX pedals as well?

Jan. 16, 2018, 4:20 p.m.

I got the old style spd pedals one with the aluminium cage/one with the plastic cage, 15 yr old cleats and I stay in no probelem

Jan. 20, 2018, 11:48 p.m.

I have had HT x1's and have since moved to t1's. I stick to them because they have amazing retention, however the durability is nowhere on par with the Shimano. I am just glad I have backup HT pedals as rebuilds/repair is dead simple.

Feb. 1, 2018, 2:55 p.m.

Posted by: craw

Posted by: [email protected]

That's an ideal solution if it's true. My current pedals are XTR but I have zero issue using XT. Do you think this logic applies to DX pedals as well?

I haven't had a reply. Will ask again, and include DX. Also, keep your eyes open, the new Saint clipless pedal will be available soon - we're trying to get a pair asap for testing and spring tension is something we'll pay specific attention to.

Feb. 1, 2018, 3:19 p.m.

I was having the same issue with shimano pedals.. 

I'm now on time atac mx8. More float. Less blowing out.

Feb. 1, 2018, 4:35 p.m.

Posted by: dutch

I was having the same issue with shimano pedals.. 

I'm now on time atac mx8. More float. Less blowing out.

I figure those are the two options: more float to allow for more body english. Or more tension.

March 16, 2018, 10:34 a.m.

I just discovered the ISSI 3 trail pedal, which looks super promising. Has anyone tried these? The new DMRs look good too but heavy and inconsistent reviews.

March 16, 2018, 10:56 a.m.

Probably not what you're looking for due to wanting greater tension but I just sprung for a set of CB Mallet E's and so far have been impressed. The ability to have that added float is nice after coming from flats the last 5 years, they have a very "flat" pedal feel with the pins set up correctly.

First time using CB clips after using shimano for years and I now understand what people mean by calling them "vague", it's a bit of a different feeling but I think it'll be good for my knees.

March 16, 2018, 12:19 p.m.

Personally, I think the shoe/pedal interface is more important than the spring tension (tension is still very important though). With the right shoes (Shimano), I can run the spring tension on XT and XTR pedals a the 3/4 point and I don't worry about unwanted release. The sole/pedal interface provides a fair bit of friction to keep the cleat snug in the pedal mechanism. When i ran Giro shoes I would get the odd unwanted release because the shoe sole wasn't snug against the pedal body.

I just picked up some new Saint pedals to see how they are. I plan to run a few pins in the pedals but nothing too crazy. The platform should provide tons of support. They are heavy though - approx 560g.

Last edited by: bogey on March 17, 2018, 11 p.m., edited 1 time in total.