Need more carbon bits?

Nov. 24, 2012, 12:30 p.m.

It's possible that the standard weave is just a cosmetic outer layer?

Very true, there are sadly many applications that have a cosmetic top layer.. adds weight, negligible benefits. A brake rotor is no place for a cosmetic layer, especially since that layer is one of the most important for function. Hopefully this isn't true for these rotors.

"Carbon/ceramic" is very generic. Because this term is good enough for the top sportscars doesn't guarantee proper performance for everything. It's like cooking, it all comes down to the recipe (length of fibers, oriented or chopped/random, resin/epoxy used, heat/pressure in manufacturing of them). Change one portion or one ingredient and you can have a vastly-different performing ceramic compound. Hell even if you have the same recipe, the cook can still make it taste different.

Nov. 24, 2012, 2:55 p.m.

At this point we've armchaired it to death. Someone buy some so we can know!

There's nothing better than an Orangina after cheating death with Digger.

Nov. 24, 2012, 3:55 p.m.

At this point we've armchaired it to death. Someone buy some so we can know!

I'm a kickstarter supporter (two-piece), so I will let you know once they arrive and I have some hours on them.

I signed up more for the concept then the product (although I hope the product is great too). When I first started riding the "garage" industry drove the cycling industry in terms of quality, innovation, and image (I'm not an "original" so in my case think Yeti, Mountain Cycle, White Brothers, later on Balfa - dual linkage suspension bikes).

Frankly, products like this make me nostalgic.

_

I am also trying to buy North American Made as much as possible particularly when I can choose a product that is ~ the same price and is the same or better quality then something I can buy from China.

Sorry to jack your thread (and I realize the website screams hipster, so have at it I guess) but another brand I am really into supporting these days is Swrve.

Top end materials, made in the USA, fair labour practices, and I've been riding the crap out of a a pair of water resistant, mid-weight, 3/4 shorts for months now including some decent crashes and they are wearing really well.

It makes me wish that Angie from Core Rat kept running for a few more years (or that Ingrid could have bought back the Roach name), because I think the market is there for her patterns, locally made, from current materials.

-D

*edit: Fit is obviously super important with shorts. I don't know who all stocks Swrve, but if you want to try a pair on I picked mine up a Mighty Ed's clothing store: On The Rivet on Broadway by MEC

-D

Mean People SUCK! Nice People SHOVEL!

Trails For All; Trails For Weather

Nov. 24, 2012, 4:23 p.m.

(and I realize the website screams hipster, so have at it I guess) but another brand I am really into supporting these days is Swrve.

I think I saw morgman's beard in one of those pictures.

Nov. 29, 2012, 8:45 a.m.

Hi fellas,
This was pointed out by a friend, wanted to pass along some bits of knowledge.
First, we expect the skeptics, thats why we kickstarted. We figured a 100 people would give them a go and run around screaming how awesome there were. We weren't to sure about some of the review sites but those who have talked to us in an intelligent manner are getting sets to review.

Some of the common misconceptions are:
Won't work wet. Many car/motorbike brakes are made by the brembo or another process and absorb water, or need maintenance to not absorb water, our chemistry does not. There is no change in feel, other than in any brake system something between the pad and rotor can cause chatter or noise.

Won't work cold, this was a problem with carbon carbon and some other solutions and in situations (like a race car at track speeds) where they were designed for specific loads. These work cold or hot. And when you need brakes the most, after long dragging decents, and rotors are hot, this is one area our SiCCC rotors crush steel properties.

Weave, yes there is carbon weave in layers oriented for optimized performance - unlike bikes, seat post and handle bars etc - there is NO resin in the SiCCC braking surface. Special ceramics and silicon carbide are there instead. The carbon rims we have tried are using high temp resins, we tried those, they don't work for rotors. We tried many other solutions that didn't work. Some would work with very specific pads, we weren't fond of those either.

The spider material is just as amazing, defense materials only for a long time, but we worked with the supplier for a specific property set and longevity and strength. It will be further explained when the cranksets are released.

The heat management information is available on the site.

Not trying to be spammy but its unfortunate some will make a blanket statement based on 'carbon fiber' if anyone else discovered the chemists, developed the processing and saw the results, they too would have built the factory to make parts and filed the patents to protect their investments and ip.

We need guys to try them, get a basic understanding, and tell their friends. People still use rim brakes, so we don't expect world domination. We do expect those why try them with a reasonable non-suck brake system to be happy with their investment. The non-suck brake system is our weak point, we can basically only hope those willing to buy 'expensive' rotors are not running some of the more horrid brake systems on the market. And there are a lot. There are some good ones too. Ours will be great, down the line.

If you have any specific questions, Ill try to help, but long hours in the shop etc means emailing info@ _website should get you answers faster. The FAQ and news release on the site might help, too.
And to the guys who backed, thanks so much for the support! We need you to spread the word, we will get them to you asap.

Nov. 29, 2012, 9:07 a.m.

Thank you for replying to this, I am very intrigued by these rotors and condsidering contributing.
One question: do you have plans for a 203mm rotor suited for downhill?
If the braking performance gains are what you claim the first place I'd like to run these is my DH rig. The saved weight would be a plus but I am more concerned with consistant braking under sustained use.

Feb. 8, 2013, 9:12 a.m.

Bump for Sanrensho's feedback!

Mighty Riders
On The Rivet Cyclewear
Vallie Components
Novex Clean Delivery Solutions

Feb. 8, 2013, 10:48 a.m.

Bump for Sanrensho's feedback!

I probably won't get my mitts on them for another month or two, until I can get down to Seattle to pick them up.

"The song of a bird…We used to ask Ennesson to do bird calls. He could do them. How he could do them, and when he perished, along with him went all those birds…"-Return from the Stars, Stanislaw Lem

"We just walk around, and sometimes we go out and dance, and then we listen to the environment."-Ralf Hutter, Kraftwerk

Feb. 8, 2013, 11:36 a.m.

Cool stuff!

How about spilling brakefluid on them? Will this affect their integrity?