Need Feedback on Roof Rack Concept!

Nov. 5, 2013, 2:22 p.m.

Hi, so I've been looking into buying a new-to-me (read: really ugly and old) Toyota Tercel sedan. I've been trying to figure out how to carry bikes on it. I'm not a fan of strap-on racks.

So to start I want to set some fixed variables for this so that the discussion doesn't get bogged down in details.
1) The car can support the weight of bikes, people, and racks
2) We'll say the car is wide enough to deal with this
3) We'll assume I have the required skills
4) K is not an issue for this discussions purposes
5) Gear will be stowed in trunk
6) We'll assume for now the 5 passengers are small enough/don't care about being squished into a tin-can of a car

The idea:
1. Mount roof bars on car (wide enough to accomplish overall goals)
2. Purchase three "both wheel on" roof racks (yakima boa seems to be a great option, etc)
3. Have another roof bar mounted in the space of a spoiler on the trunk lid
4. Purchase two more racks as in Step 2
5. Mount facing backwards using rear roof bar and spoiler bar
6. Mount bikes turning stem if necessary?

So overall the bikes would be line up left to right in this order.
Facing forwards on roof rack, facing backwards on spoiler rack, facing backwards on roof rack, facing backwards on spoiler rack, facing forwards on roof rack.

---Also, the spoiler mounted bikes will be on a downward angle to the rear, the spoiler bar should only be a few inches off the trunk lid---

Let me know what you think,
Allix

Nov. 5, 2013, 2:29 p.m.

Also, I'm sure this has been thought of/about before, and I would have no intention of bringing it to market, it would be just for my car

Nov. 5, 2013, 2:57 p.m.

Why don't you just get the wide set of Yakima bars and mount the bike racks alternated. I've had 4 that way but I'm sure you can get 5. Bit of a pain getting to the middle ones!

Nov. 5, 2013, 3:16 p.m.

That makes sense, but I'm curious as to whether this idea might A) Make it easier to access each bike, and B) perhaps lower the cars new centre of gravity slightly, as 5 40lb bikes on the roof of a light car might be rather top heavy. C) I'm not sure if massively wide bars on my roof would be optimal, and although I saw a mazda with then the last time I went up the Sea-Sky, wouldn't it be hard to park underground/near things, relative to the spoiler rack idea.
Thanks for the input though, I hadn't thought it possible to fit 4/5 up top

Nov. 5, 2013, 4:48 p.m.

This seems like a lot of effort for what is most likely a sketchy and uncomfortable end result. Considering you don't even have the car yet, why not just buy a reliable 4 cyl pickup with a big enough cab to uncomfortably fit 5 people, and throw everything in the back with no worries? Probably end up being just as fuel efficient and "cozy", but with less effort.

Nov. 5, 2013, 4:51 p.m.

Or buy a small utility trailer.

Pastor of Muppets

Nov. 5, 2013, 4:59 p.m.

Thats another option, however my knowledge of pick-ups is limited to the old toyotas (which aren't cheap) , and rangers/mazda "B" series (which can be cheaper). This whole plan was semi-serious and I thought of it while bored in basic college computer course. I picked the Tercel as they are cheap, plentiful, and have a seemingly legendary gas milage/reliability rating.

If at all possible could anybody suggest older, better on gas trucks? (Read "older" as pretty cheap) I realize I just derailed my own thread and it may now be in the wrong category, but whatever advice you have would be appreciated!
Thanks!
Allix

Nov. 5, 2013, 5:01 p.m.

Or buy a small utility trailer.

As much as that simplifies things, I've got no place to store one, and most small cars are a pain to install hitches onto.
Thanks
Allix

Nov. 5, 2013, 5:09 p.m.

Option A:
1. Buy a car
2. Get new suspension (perhaps all around) but at least in rear. Stiffer than stock rear springs.
3.Install hitch mounted NS-4 rack.

How often do you really need to shuttle 5 of you in one vehicle? Mostly I ride alone or with 1 or 2 friends. It is often more time-and fuel-efficient to have 3rd, 4th and 5th parties in another vehicle. Ever dropped 4 of your friends off at 4 different places?

Perhaps an easier option is to get the roof rack with two or three bike mounts and carry a trunk-based collapsible rack inside the trunk to be used only in a pinch.

Nov. 5, 2013, 6:33 p.m.

Before you make a decision based on fuel economy, CAA has a great online calculator that tells you how much it costs to run a particular vehicle.

You may find that it might only be $15-20 per month more in gas to run a car that is substantially better for your needs.

Also having a loaded roof rack on a little car will give your horrible mileage.

Nov. 5, 2013, 7:52 p.m.

Also having a loaded roof rack on a little car will give your horrible mileage.

This. You mentioned you're aware a car wont handle as well with a bunch of bikes on the roof, but you also need to consider the drag a roof rack creates. It has a huge impact on fuel economy.

Nov. 5, 2013, 8:35 p.m.

This. You mentioned you're aware a car wont handle as well with a bunch of bikes on the roof, but you also need to consider the drag a roof rack creates. It has a huge impact on fuel economy.

Considering you'll have 2 bikes on the back as well, traction on the front wheels will decrease a tad bit, also contributing to bad mileage

:japan:

Nov. 6, 2013, 7:46 a.m.

This. Plus 3 on the roof plus 3 on the back. That's like 9 bikes. :P

Nov. 6, 2013, 8:06 a.m.

This. Plus 3 on the roof plus 3 on the back. That's like 9 bikes. :P

I pray that this is a Photochop job? :???:

Nov. 6, 2013, 8:09 a.m.

72" thule or Yakima bars are legal on the roof of any car even if they stick out 18" on each side

if the tercel is that old just bolt a couple of front QR carriers thru the trunk

even if you can fit it all on the car at some point you are overloaded