Need a quick reply (avid codes)

Sept. 26, 2007, 1:17 p.m.

i went and hooked up the front caliper and lever on my bike and noticed the the pads are REALLY close together, so much that I cant fit the rotor between them. how can i back the pads off? i tried adjusting the red knob the lever but it's not doing anything besides changing the lever play. thanks.

Check out my Buy/Sell items on Pinkbike: http://truvativ21.pinkbike.com/buysell/

Sept. 26, 2007, 1:21 p.m.

was this a new brake? fresh pads? new line? if the brake has been bled with not new pads in it, there may be too much fluid in the system. It may be possible to "walk" back the pistons to make more room.

wow, M&M, you're a fucking dick!

don't be so politically correct, this is stacy kohut, not fucking rick hansen your talkin too……..

Sept. 26, 2007, 1:22 p.m.

was this a new brake? fresh pads? new line? if the brake has been bled with not new pads in it, there may be too much fluid in the system. It may be possible to "walk" back the pistons to make more room.

ya they were just bled, old pads though. how would i "walk" it?

Check out my Buy/Sell items on Pinkbike: http://truvativ21.pinkbike.com/buysell/

Sept. 26, 2007, 1:26 p.m.

ya they were just bled, old pads though. how would i "walk" it?

I am unfamilier with the piston placement on the codes so I cant help you. Hopefully somebody will chime in. sorry bout that.
So, just to be clear, the brakes were bled with old pads in them? and now the pads are too close together?

wow, M&M, you're a fucking dick!

don't be so politically correct, this is stacy kohut, not fucking rick hansen your talkin too……..

Sept. 26, 2007, 1:38 p.m.

I am unfamilier with the piston placement on the codes so I cant help you. Hopefully somebody will chime in. sorry bout that.
So, just to be clear, the brakes were bled with old pads in them? and now the pads are too close together?

yes the brakes were just bled the other day by james a fellow member of the board from which i bought them from (cool guy btw) and the pads are old.

Sept. 26, 2007, 1:47 p.m.

Sounds like the brake was engaged without a rotor in place. I have no idea if this is the proper way to handle this situation, but when i happened with my old hayes I would simply insert a flat screwdriver between the pads and gently twist my writst to push them apart.

Now I always put a shim in place.

never done it with avids though.

Sept. 26, 2007, 1:58 p.m.

Sounds like the brake was engaged without a rotor in place. I have no idea if this is the proper way to handle this situation, but when i happened with my old hayes I would simply insert a flat screwdriver between the pads and gently twist my writst to push them apart.

Now I always put a shim in place.

never done it with avids though.

nice that actually seemed to help, not a whole lot but it helped :D

EDIT: just put the rotor on, the caliper is gripping really bad.

Sept. 26, 2007, 2:18 p.m.

If that didn't work you probably just have too much fluid as stated before. You probably need to rebleed.

Sept. 26, 2007, 2:20 p.m.

nice that actually seemed to help, not a whole lot but it helped :D

EDIT: just put the rotor on, the caliper is gripping really bad.

Repeat the process until they're far apart enough for the rotor not to rub. Put the rotor in/wheel on the bike. You brakes should sort themselves out after that.

Another possibility is the brake was bled without pushing the pistons all the way back, resulting in too much fluid in your lines. If that's the case, they may need to be re-bled (or re-bleed the lever/reservoir at any rate).

edit: I'm basing this on experience with Juicy 7's, I don't know if the codes are the same.

Sept. 26, 2007, 3:28 p.m.

Best way to do it is using playing cards. Fill the space with cards, squeeze the lever, should be a little more space, add another card. Do that until the space is wide enough.

Sept. 26, 2007, 4:58 p.m.

Best way to do it is using playing cards. Fill the space with cards, squeeze the lever, should be a little more space, add another card. Do that until the space is wide enough.

sometimes not the case though… I just replaced the front pads on my Codes (which is probably your problem too if they are semi metalic padsbecause they'll probably only last a couple months) not sure how to get the pistons back… but I know its pretty difficult

"Jumps aren't dangerous by themselves… confidence, now thats dangerous"

Sept. 26, 2007, 5:58 p.m.

sometimes not the case though… I just replaced the front pads on my Codes (which is probably your problem too if they are semi metalic padsbecause they'll probably only last a couple months) not sure how to get the pistons back… but I know its pretty difficult

They're organic compound, with approx 50% pad remaining.

Sept. 26, 2007, 6:48 p.m.

They're organic compound, with approx 50% pad remaining.

hmmmm I guess since you bled them and the pads still have life in them it must be the pistons

"Jumps aren't dangerous by themselves… confidence, now thats dangerous"

Sept. 28, 2007, 12:09 a.m.

They were bled with the correct spacing for new pads. you probably just pushed on the lever when the rotor wasn't in. Take a flat screw driver to spread them apart further more. Don't be scared to put some pressure to spread them. and before you do that you need the red adjuster dial to be at the "in" position.

SRX

didnt know nsmb was only for pros

its not, its only for dicks.

My Flickr

Sept. 28, 2007, 12:39 a.m.

They were bled with the correct spacing for new pads. you probably just pushed on the lever when the rotor wasn't in. Take a flat screw driver to spread them apart further more. Don't be scared to put some pressure to spread them. and before you do that you need the red adjuster dial to be at the "in" position.

Thanks for that james, will give it a go! I was being really cautious when trying to pry the pads apart the first time cause I didin't wanna damage anything :P :rocker: