Need a new tailgate Dakine pad.

Aug. 19, 2014, 9:28 p.m.

Just kidding.

I've been biking for a long time, been on this forum for a long time.

Why does everyone bag on Dakine pads? I've never owned a truck but they seem really functional. I don't see anyone laughing at the LeBra on the fronts of cars.

Kidding.

But not about the Dakine pads. If I owned a truck I'd probably buy one.

Aug. 19, 2014, 9:40 p.m.

You can make your own tailgate pad out of any material (like cardboard or its fancy-ass cousin - carbon fiber), but having the words D-A-K-I-N-E on it is mandatory. In most states in the US, its a moving violation if you don't.

Aug. 19, 2014, 9:49 p.m.

I know a few guys that swear against them after having dented frames from hanging the bike over a tailgate with a pad and shuttling a rough road.

Aug. 19, 2014, 10:11 p.m.

^It would be easier to just not buy an intense.

If I had a truck I'd likely get a custom over the tailgate rack fab'ed up or run the NSR still

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

Aug. 19, 2014, 10:49 p.m.

I know a few guys that swear against them after having dented frames from hanging the bike over a tailgate with a pad and shuttling a rough road.

I've ran one for probably 5 or 6 years now. It just lives on my truck. Things to note:
1. Strap the bikes down or you'll dent the frame or have your bikes fighting each other on the drive up.
2. Scuffs the hell out of your tail gate. When I pulled it off my last truck I realized the clear coat on the tail gate was all scuffed up. A power polish would fix it. Solution for the new truck was to 3M the whole tail gate.
3. It tells thieves you have bikes. I'd avoid keeping it on if you have them stored in the garage.
4. I have no idea why I'm making such a list about this. It must be time for bed

Honestly if I could justify getting a north shore rack I would, but I don't have a hitch on my truck so the price goes up.

Aug. 19, 2014, 11:15 p.m.

I've ran one for probably 5 or 6 years now. It just lives on my truck. Things to note:
1. Strap the bikes down or you'll dent the frame or have your bikes fighting each other on the drive up.
2. Scuffs the hell out of your tail gate. When I pulled it off my last truck I realized the clear coat on the tail gate was all scuffed up. A power polish would fix it. Solution for the new truck was to 3M the whole tail gate.
3. It tells thieves you have bikes. I'd avoid keeping it on if you have them stored in the garage.
4. I have no idea why I'm making such a list about this. It must be time for bed

Honestly if I could justify getting a north shore rack I would, but I don't have a hitch on my truck so the price goes up.

It only scratches the clear coat of you leave it on 24/7. Take it off between uses and you're fine.

Aug. 20, 2014, 2:51 a.m.

Or if you has truck, spend $30 at home depot and build one out 2x4s.

protect tom mcdonald at all costs

Aug. 20, 2014, 7:29 a.m.

I never got into tailgate pads and hanging your bike off the back. When I had a truck I made a 3-bike rack out of 2x4's so you could just roll the bikes into slots. Worked well and was a lot cleaner looking having the bikes standing upright in the bed.

Aug. 20, 2014, 1:39 p.m.

I swear half the trucks with Dakine pads don't even belong to mtber's. Its like the modern version of big Oakley stickers

WTB Frequency i23 rim, 650b NEW - $40

Aug. 20, 2014, 4:52 p.m.

I had one. Sold the truck and now have SUV. Miss the DaKine tailgate pad, so easy, so cheap, so fast. Five bikes in a mid-size pickup, plus 3-4 more on back when throwing on a sportworks (thule) rack. They just work. Every rack has it's downside, the pads just seem to have fewer downsides.

-- Founder of Abit Gear MTB shorts --

Aug. 20, 2014, 6:13 p.m.

I have a Yakima hold up that is far better, but the pad is awesome for when I am towing the trailer on a family trip. I can get 7 bikes in the back! Everything I need for a vacation!

Aug. 20, 2014, 7:17 p.m.

I had one. Sold the truck and now have SUV. Miss the DaKine tailgate pad, so easy, so cheap, so fast. Five bikes in a mid-size pickup, plus 3-4 more on back when throwing on a sportworks (thule) rack. They just work. Every rack has it's downside, the pads just seem to have fewer downsides.

Jesus! I don't have that many bikes or friends. Sniff.

Debate? Bikes are made for riding not pushing.

Aug. 20, 2014, 8:14 p.m.

have a EVOC and i have no dents in my bikes m shuttled lots of rough roads , they plain work IMO . takes seconds to load a bike , couple more too attach a bungy cord , and a lock and on your way . don,t have to worry about low overhead drivethrus , same deal when a parking with a bumper rack had those an they are a pain .

#northsidetrailbuilders

Aug. 21, 2014, 3:19 p.m.

I just added a foam pool noodle under my Dakine pad. I found one of the hollow ones and cut it down the center half way and put that over my gate then the pad on top. Just a little extra protection for when things get airborne.

Unfortunately one of my straps is starting to tear away but otherwise love the ease and simplicity of that thing.

Aug. 21, 2014, 3:32 p.m.

I just added a foam pool noodle under my Dakine pad.

Straight up in your face obvious genious right there. Doin' it tonight. Facepalm. :rocker: