Neck Protection

April 8, 2011, 1:17 p.m.

hey guys,

i'm considering getting one of those neck protection thingamings. did a search on here and didn't find a recent thread on it, so i'm asking if anyone can advise which one to get for mtb?

cheers
swine

April 8, 2011, 1:23 p.m.

LEATT PRO Carbon, FTW

I think you heard me just fine, punchy

April 8, 2011, 1:35 p.m.

I just bought the DBX Comp II a few weeks ago and while I havent actually used it yet, it seems like a well made product that shouldn't be too much of a problem to wear. If you decide to get one, go to HuckNRoll.com. When I bought mine I went on the live chat and convinced them to give me a 15% discount and free shipping :D Only cost me about $340 cdn all in.

April 8, 2011, 2:31 p.m.

The Alpinestars looks nice too. I believe that one comes with the straps too, which seem like a good addition.

I'd guess that outside of the price jump due to carbon the real difference will be in the fit.

There's nothing better than an Orangina after cheating death with Digger.

April 8, 2011, 4:59 p.m.

@jayjay22 haha you always go for the priciest stuff! that one is a little too rich for me

@FlatlineDH let me know how it is once you try it out!

thanks

April 8, 2011, 5:28 p.m.

Will do. This should help for now.

http://www.vitalmtb.com/product/feature/Review-Leatt-Bicycle-DBX-Ride-and-Comp-Braces,17

April 8, 2011, 8:29 p.m.

Hey Swine, you can try mine for a day to see if you like it, I won't be using until whistler opens. You would need to get new upper body Armour it won't work well with beast gear. I also have a Troy lee shock doctor upper T for sale. Perfect match with the Leatt.

I think you heard me just fine, punchy

April 8, 2011, 8:36 p.m.

alpinestars strapping system is hokey and i had too big a range of motion with my helmet. i got the leatt moto gpx comp and the comfort, adjustability, and protection are much better. don't even notice it after a few rides. feel naked riding without it now

April 8, 2011, 10:48 p.m.

im rockin the dbx one too, after a few laps i didnt even notice it

WWLMMD?

April 8, 2011, 11:37 p.m.

sweet. i think i'll take you up on that offer jay. i'll be hittin seymour tomorrow but after that i'll give you a shout to see where you're at. thanks!

April 10, 2011, 7:27 p.m.

Ive heard the leatt adventure neck brace had a solid fit from a few people.

On a side note can someone please link me to at least one scientific study or journal that actually says these things even work? Thats a study, not some site saying "buy my product, i think it might work" Im a kinesiology student and looking for facts that the whole neck brace deal is more than a fad. Im probably mistaken but I remember reading somewhere that a few pro moto riders refused to wear them, as its known to actually cause spinal injury if the helmet gets knocked off. Hell I might even do grant research if nothing shows up…. :nerd:

April 10, 2011, 7:46 p.m.

Anyone ever stop to wonder why there is a DBX(DH specific)now in the leatt line ?
I will leave this question to you and see if someone knows :) Also the GPX is MOTO specific.

WhistlerActionCams.com

April 10, 2011, 7:46 p.m.

On a side note can someone please link me to at least one scientific study or journal that actually says these things even work? Thats a study, not some site saying "buy my product, i think it might work" Im a kinesiology student and looking for facts that the whole neck brace deal is more than a fad. Im probably mistaken but I remember reading somewhere that a few pro moto riders refused to wear them, as its known to actually cause spinal injury if the helmet gets knocked off. Hell I might even do grant research if nothing shows up…. :nerd:

Leatt has little information on the site - http://www.leatt-brace.com/company/leatt-lab/testing/

I think they're not saying much to protect the R[HTML_REMOVED]D investment.

"I do like how you generally bring an open-minded and positive vibe to the threads you participate in"

- Morgman

April 11, 2011, 2:04 p.m.

Omega is another option. They now have a lower profile one better suited for mountain biking. I use one and quite like it.

April 11, 2011, 2:59 p.m.

my understanding is the DBX is the same structure as the GPX but with lower-profile padding on top. it doesn't stick as far out the back and is thinner overall. you could actually make a DBX before the a different padding kit for the GPX series.

Check my stuff for sale!