Neck Braces - Leatt and others

June 13, 2012, 12:36 p.m.

In the market for a neck brace - have looked at some Leatt braces. Do most people buy the base model, or is the adjustability of the higher end models quite useful? I think the DBX ride is around 300-350, with the one up from that is about 500. Any recommendations? I would prefer to spend less, but if the unadjustable one doesn't fit properly then I am willing to get the higher end one.

Also, what about other brands? I know Alpine Stars makes one, and a new one is coming out from Atlas, which I have heard good things about, but I don't think it's available yet as far as I know.

Anyone have any advice?

June 13, 2012, 12:42 p.m.

In the market for a neck brace - have looked at some Leatt braces. Do most people buy the base model, or is the adjustability of the higher end models quite useful? I think the DBX ride is around 300-350, with the one up from that is about 500. Any recommendations? I would prefer to spend less, but if the unadjustable one doesn't fit properly then I am willing to get the higher end one.

Also, what about other brands? I know Alpine Stars makes one, and a new one is coming out from Atlas, which I have heard good things about, but I don't think it's available yet as far as I know.

Anyone have any advice?

It sounds like you're prepared to pay local retail prices, so you might as well just go try them all on. If the Ride fits then go with that and save the $200, otherwise you should go with the comp.

I picked up the Comp 2 on pricepoint for under $300, took some time to get it positioned right but I don't even notice it anymore.

June 13, 2012, 12:50 p.m.

Make sure you have a proper fit. I went with the DBX Comp II because of it's adjustability. It's a good thing too, as the way the guy at the bike shop fitted it wasn't right so at least I was able to start at square 1, follow their fit instructions, and adjust to a proper fit.

June 13, 2012, 1:14 p.m.

It sounds like you're prepared to pay local retail prices, so you might as well just go try them all on. If the Ride fits then go with that and save the $200, otherwise you should go with the comp.

I picked up the Comp 2 on pricepoint for under $300, took some time to get it positioned right but I don't even notice it anymore.

Didn't even think about buying online… sounds like a better idea!

Site says they only ship to the USA though… although I'm sure I can find a decent deal on another site

June 13, 2012, 1:24 p.m.

Didn't even think about buying online… sounds like a better idea!

Site says they only ship to the USA though… although I'm sure I can find a decent deal on another site

Not sure where you live, but I ship to the letter carier in pt roberts all the time. Super easy if you're close-ish to the border.

June 13, 2012, 9:45 p.m.

Bought my DBX comp (adjustable front and back) at price point also for under 300. Had it shipped to a family member in the US. Try chain reaction cycles.

June 14, 2012, 12:26 p.m.

The Omega X-1 might be worth a look. I use an older K-1 and really like it. The X-1 has a lower profile and should work with a wider range of helmets. I like the way it distributes force unto the large muscles of your back, rather than onto the T-spine itself the way the Leatt does.

June 15, 2012, 12:21 p.m.

I have the impression that if set up correctl, the spine is not the issue with the Leatt's. I set up mine so that the load won't be distributed onto the thoracic spine. Since I always use it together with a core saver, it would not be a problem tho.

I still cannot understand riders who ride with braces, but without upper body armour. Weird in my eyes.

"You don't learn from experience. You learn from reflecting on the experience."
- Kristen Ulmer

June 15, 2012, 9:52 p.m.

Leatt has solid engineering, and the fact is, any other company that comes out in this industry who wishes to compete with Leatt will have to find some kind of Achilles Heel in the Leatt product and branding. So, the way it works is - maybe Leatt doesn't put pressure on the spine - but the competition will make you think through inference that this __is__ a problem. Furthermore, the whole "new shape" means it's basing it on the full-round-collar style of what's out there now with Astars and Leatt. What if the above shape was the first style?? The other companies would come along with a full-round-collar stating THAT was the new shape.

I'm happy with my Leatt. In short, it's better than nothing, which is fine by me and for me.

BTW, hit me up if you want the eBay handle of a great cat in the States who shipped my DBX-Comp 2 with zero duties and full warranty at a price I couldn't resist.

DS

"I'm addicted to surfing."

June 16, 2012, 8:11 p.m.

The Omega X-1 might be worth a look. I use an older K-1 and really like it. The X-1 has a lower profile and should work with a wider range of helmets. I like the way it distributes force unto the large muscles of your back, rather than onto the T-spine itself the way the Leatt does.

I own the X1 and got it for $119 on sale. Fits great once it is set up and I do not even notice it is there either when riding unless I try to look way over my shoulder.