Neck Braces

Feb. 13, 2012, 9:48 p.m.

The hype may have calmed down, but the price sure hasn't. $650+ for the high-end model.

For those of us who aren't on the World Cup circuit, the $285 version works just fine.

Feb. 13, 2012, 9:53 p.m.

For those of us who aren't on the World Cup circuit, the $285 version works just fine.

But unfortunately I don't settle for anything less than the best.

Feb. 13, 2012, 9:56 p.m.

you don't need the carbon bs. but I would recommend the one with the adjustable decks especially if you have a helmet that isn't "brace friendly"

Check my stuff for sale!

March 7, 2012, 4:30 p.m.

I use an Omega on almost every ride (unless I am on the low trails at Fromme, and even then, really). I was wearing it this last summer when I overshot the biggest step up on the island in the Garbo zone and landed on my head. Broke a brand new Kali Avatar helmet, gave my self a concussion, and may have cracked one of the vertebral processes at the CT junction. Without the brace I would have been in MAJOR trouble I think. Personally, I can easily put up with the small range of motion limits imposed by the brace. I'd rather have it than not. If I replace my Omega (K1 model), I think I will go with the X1, which is the lower profile version of the same brace.

March 7, 2012, 7:43 p.m.

I just picked up the Omega X1 and a Kali Avatar to go along with it… haven't had a chance to test either but the fit is excellent… looking forward to trying out the combo when the snow melts.

March 7, 2012, 8:05 p.m.

I was wearing it this last summer when I overshot the biggest step up on the island in the Garbo zone and landed on my head. Broke a brand new Kali Avatar helmet, gave my self a concussion, and may have cracked one of the vertebral processes at the CT junction.

Damn, was this very long after you drove all my stuff home that super day in late June?

March 7, 2012, 8:22 p.m.

How about the EVS collars?

Less expensive models… $110 - $175 US

March 7, 2012, 9:07 p.m.

It looks like Leatt is finally feeling the pressure of competition. Seeing sales for their braces all over the place. Think Fanatik is selling them for $100 or $200 off retail right now.

March 7, 2012, 9:08 p.m.

I just picked up the Omega X1 and a Kali Avatar to go along with it… haven't had a chance to test either but the fit is excellent… looking forward to trying out the combo when the snow melts.

Can you still wear a camelbak with the brace on?

March 7, 2012, 9:20 p.m.

I wear one with my Leatt DBX II just fine…

March 7, 2012, 10:29 p.m.

I second that, you can wear a hydration pack, however I was feeling a little cramped …. Mostly cuase its winter - all the extra warm gear etc…..so,
I have since resorted to a waist hydration pack and am loving the freedom of no weight on the upper back along with the added breathability of no chest me side harness that come with a back pack.

One other benifit I found with the brace ( I have a Leatt) is that my riding improved due to proper posture that the brace kinda makes mandatory. My posture improved being that I was no longer slightly arching my back, and because of this I found I was in attack position more often, thus having a better ,more responsive ride.

March 8, 2012, 5:53 a.m.

I am only guessing yes at this point… will have to try it out.

I got my X1 brace for $150 on Ebay… good deal.

March 8, 2012, 7:14 a.m.

Cheaper models may be better in terms of Leatt. I have heard of the carbon spine thing on the back splintering in a crash and carving up the wearer's back. Digging in to his spine actually.

Stick with the cheaper one, and I use the A star, as i really don't like how the Leatt sits directly on my collarbones.

Yes I have seen someone fall with a Leatt and pop a collarbone when I don't think it would have happened without it on….

C4 Rider Training 2013

Contact me at: [email protected]

I am not so good at returning PM's as some have noticed.

c4race.com

March 8, 2012, 7:42 a.m.

does anyone know what brace markus pekoll wears? saw a shot in the vital feature of him and brook mac and noticed it has a rear brace that sits on either side of the spine, but couldn't figure out what kind it was…

March 8, 2012, 8:59 a.m.

Cheaper models may be better in terms of Leatt. I have heard of the carbon spine thing on the back splintering in a crash and carving up the wearer's back. Digging in to his spine actually.

Stick with the cheaper one, and I use the A star, as i really don't like how the Leatt sits directly on my collarbones.

Yes I have seen someone fall with a Leatt and pop a collarbone when I don't think it would have happened without it on….

I lawn-darted with mine on.. no worse for wear at all in my upper body. Collar bone and upper back was completely unscathed. However a major concussion and a Galeazzi fracture kinda ruined my day, errr, months.