NBD!!!!! ...and Giant's "mad lab" paints :D

Aug. 31, 2016, 10:30 p.m.

Reign Advanced 1 in da hizzy… :rave:
Can't wait to give 'er providing it's not pouring buckets tomorrow.

Was hoping to post some shots, but it's occurred to me - the thing looks hideous on film. In fact, I went to pick up some nail-polish after acquiring it today (always good for touch ups, just FYI) and you know?? I think the lads at Giant are purposely making colours that can't be described or properly photographed for that matter. My selection was pretty off - but I'll know better for next time - more green, less blue, more yellow, less teal.

In pictures, the Reign A1 looks kinda like a washed out powder blue teal prom dress circa 80s paint job. On the Giant site, same - it's "meh" at best. Then you get up to one in person - and it's totally not the same. I whipped out 2 cameras, my digital Lumix and my iPhone, and BOTH of them can't "get" the colour right. Side by side, looking through the viewer of either camera - the colour isn't "processed" properly.

I noticed this on the new Reign A1 (2017) model when I went to see it at Cranx. It's definitely a "bright burnt orange", but try getting it on film and it's red. When the light gets it right, it looks more orange so you try and take a pic and more red comes out.

Strange brew in them thar paints.

Anyway, mine came with the Minion and High Roller as opposed to the Hans Dampf and Magic Mary. I'm quite alright with that :scream:

Will be testing this baby ASAP. Props again to the cats at NV DB (North Vancouver Different Bikes)!! Cool guys - great shop - awesome service.

Le Sanch

"I'm addicted to surfing."

Aug. 31, 2016, 11:12 p.m.

its rad. I got to see all the 2017 bikes at the UK dealer launch recently. they had everything but a few road bikes and the 27.5+ XTC which could not be shipped from TW in time

sea change on the MTB front, and in a good way.

we put lots of them up on the feed

https://www.instagram.com/giantdocklands/

Sept. 1, 2016, 5:03 p.m.

[ATTACH]11289[/ATTACH]

Before she got all muddy and nice today :trinity:

Gotta say, quite the ride. Long low and slack. Takes everything 100% on the chin, no squabbling, just plows through everything, doesn't really require "finesse". Bit of a tank. But a very fun, nimble and fast tank.

Sept. 1, 2016, 5:32 p.m.

[ATTACH]11289[/ATTACH]

Gotta say, quite the ride. Long low and slack. Takes everything 100% on the chin, no squabbling, just plows through everything, doesn't really require "finesse". Bit of a tank. But a very fun, nimble and fast tank.

that is fugly! but who cares anyway, mtn bikes look better covered in mud and paint chipped to hell

Sept. 1, 2016, 7:16 p.m.

did u recently win the lotto?

Sept. 1, 2016, 7:39 p.m.

I ride with a guy down here with that bike.
Took him down all the Garbo tech stuff during CWorx on it.

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

Sept. 1, 2016, 7:58 p.m.

That's my favorite Reign paint scheme.

Always wondered how it would look with chrome wheels. Saw a turquoise Tall Boy on a shop floor in Socal with chrome rims, it was just stunning.

https://nsmba.ca/product-category/memberships/

Sept. 1, 2016, 8:34 p.m.

That brings up a good point.

Ok, that Reign is a beautiful bling bike and all, but look how reasonable and well researched that purchase was.

Where the f$ck are the preposterously wealthy cyclists at?? You all on this board are a bunch of sensible a$$holes who make rational informed purchasing decisions based on "value" and "performance" and bullshit like that. WTF.

We want more $10,000+ bikes, bought at random on a whim. Because the color matched your shoes.

Sept. 1, 2016, 8:36 p.m.

Mtbr is loaded with sub-forums of that. Check SC, Yeti, Knolly, Turner and a slew of others for that type of nonsense.

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

Sept. 1, 2016, 9:05 p.m.

that is fugly! but who cares anyway, mtn bikes look better covered in mud and paint chipped to hell

Agreed - and most certainly through any digital reproduction I've been able to render. Here's a slightly darker pic… makes no difference. The "powder blue" is actually a deep aqua green, but as mentioned, I couldn't get any of my cameras to actually replicate the colour. Was a neat exercise in photography. Failed miserably, but interesting to say the least.

[ATTACH]11290[/ATTACH]

No. I just don't have a lot of bad habits.

Biking costs pales in comparison to having a penchant for vintage guitars and owning an operational music studio as a "hobby"… Hey, buying bikes is an "investment in ones health". Period.

Ok, that Reign is a beautiful bling bike and all, but look how reasonable and well researched that purchase was.

Where the f$ck are the preposterously wealthy cyclists at?? You all on this board are a bunch of sensible a$$holes who make rational informed purchasing decisions based on "value" and "performance" and bullshit like that. WTF.

I would have been here all the same with RM had RM been able to deliver the bikes I wanted back in May/June. But waiting till "October" wasn't an option… Enter Giant and the knowledgeable friends at Different Bikes and I'd have to say I'm a committed convert on value and performance alone. Fantastic bikes - very, very impressed. And they're not bank breakers.

Is what it is. They're mindblowing for their spec, quality, ride feel, everything - and then that wee lil' thing at the end called a pricetag?!?!?! Hard to beat.

:clap:

Sept. 1, 2016, 9:34 p.m.

Still going to wait for a pic of someone's new impractical 15k bike among their stable of 20k bikes in a climate controlled private bike show room being maintained by a personal mechanic with white gloves, who also has an assistant who is standing by with a silver tray of caviar.

You peasants all seem to do your own maintenance and keep your bikes in the garage with the lawn equipment.

;) Btw, just kidding. I've got the same RA1 Sanch, turquoise and all. Love that carbon Giant peasant bike, even if it doesn't match my shoes. :D

Sept. 1, 2016, 9:57 p.m.

Still going to wait for a pic of someone's new impractical 15k bike among their stable of 20k bikes in a climate controlled private bike show room being maintained by a personal mechanic with white gloves, who also has an assistant who is standing by with a silver tray of caviar.

You peasants all seem to do your own maintenance and keep your bikes in the garage with the lawn equipment.

;) Btw, just kidding. I've got the same RA1 Sanch, turquoise and all. Love that carbon Giant peasant bike, even if it doesn't match my shoes. :D

i have a bike cobbled together from used parts including a frame held together with duct tape and a round piece of plywood for a front wheel.

i feel woefully inadequate.

t'd up.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Sept. 1, 2016, 10:05 p.m.

[ATTACH]11289[/ATTACH]

Sanch, how do you find it on the climbs compared to your Trance? I'm coming off a spesh enduro 26 and am concerned about how much I'll be sacrificing in the climbing department. I'm having a tough time looking at anything else, the value just seems so good here, but worried it'll be too sluggish uphill.

Also, agreed the colour is much better in the flesh.

Sept. 1, 2016, 10:16 p.m.

Hey, you don't have to wait long… Just park down by Function tomorrow at 3pm and watch all them $20K bikes atop perfectly polished (and clear coat waxed) BitchMoanWhines and whatever other luxury AWD Euro sedan or SUV comes marching up to the all great and mighty whizzler for the long weekend :zzz:

That said, and due to the presumed inclement weather, the bikes will likely be housed in aerodynamic fully contained carbon fibre "cases" for their "delicate and safe" travel. Only to be removed by [bondable] concierge service staff at the awaiting luxury hotels, and moved swiftly to the suite's foyer where their respective owner can dry hump it while staring at themselves in the rooms well appointed and overtly large mirror (because these kinda guests like to look at themselves…a lot) murmuring in demented lustfulness towards their beautiful boutique bikes how they beat their other UBC alumni acquaintances to whistler.

"I got here first, and I get to hump my incredibly beautiful and ridiculously expensive bike first. In this ridiculously expensive hotel room. Hahahahahaha, they lose!! I am so much win!!!!"

Yo hepcat, it really is a dopeass colour :D

Sept. 1, 2016, 10:29 p.m.

Sanch, how do you find it on the climbs compared to your Trance? I'm coming off a spesh enduro 26 and am concerned about how much I'll be sacrificing in the climbing department. I'm having a tough time looking at anything else, the value just seems so good here, but worried it'll be too sluggish uphill.

Also, agreed the colour is much better in the flesh.

Only one ride out today so the jury's still out - especially since it was raining pretty heavily and things were pretty slippery… I wasn't in 100% power to the pedal mode - there was a lot of dance and prance to avoid slipping and the like.

First impressions though? They're vastly different bikes. The Reign sits lower and "slacker" but it doesn't feel dead. The suspension is more supple on first impressions. How does it climb compared to the Trance? It climbed well. Very well in fact. And that was with the rear shock in "medium" mode, not stiff. I did get out of my seat a couple of times and it spun out, but that was more a function of rain/wet than anything else.

I'll have a full review of both bikes back to back if the NSMB community would like, just remembering that opinion are like assholes - everyone's got one and if it ain't yours, you'll likely think it stinks. But if I had to summarize first day thoughts comparing the two? The Trance feels more upright and twangy and reactive to the terrain. It's light and very flickable. It's surprisingly adept at a lot of "stuff" one wouldn't expect from it. It can handle some serious gnar even though it's not meant for serious gnar. But it's COM seems higher, but it works well for the Trance as an all-terrain, XC, Trail'esque bike. And it's bloody agile!! The Reign comes in kinda like its cooler more low key bro… It didn't require suspension fidgeting, it didn't require much of anything other than pedal and GO. I found its linear stability to be super impressive - I was expecting more of a light front end uphills but it tracked well. And on the slippery skinnies today where I'd normally opt out of an SPD for balance I just righted the front and went - and it just did exactly what I wanted it to with more of a softer approach - it wasn't as responsive and reactive, but it wasn't by any means "dead and lifeless". It was just uber smooth.

It's not the wand, it's the magician as they say… but the Trance is definitely a "faster" XC bike in uphill terrain and the like. But the Reign is NO slouch in the up and most certainly not the down. I'd say they got it dialled in uncannily well for "everything" including uphill.

Need more time with it. But it's a keeper.

And for the record, I've got a 770mm bar and 50mm stem incoming to open the cockpit of the Trance up a bit. That's my only beef with it - cramped quarters up front. Otherwise it's a "perfect" bike. I got the Reign to handle the gnarlier shiznit… I'll see how it does when the opportunity presents - hopefully tomorrow :D