My YT Canada experience

July 3, 2018, 4:26 p.m.

Call up the great people at Velofix, they come to your house...get the work done and then leave with it all done. if I bike shop will not deal with you because you bought something on the Internet it's their loss. Deal with shops that understand the new paradigm and let them be busy...till they aren't because they have alienated all their potential customers.

July 3, 2018, 5:54 p.m.

Posted by: pedalhound

if a bike shop will not deal with you because you bought something on the Internet it's their loss. 

This. 

Other side of the coin is people are idiots and can/will order the wrong parts.  And those people deserve to be charged full rate for shop time.

July 3, 2018, 7:50 p.m.

Posted by: XXX_er

you chose to be someone else's customer so if a shop is running a week behind on servicing their own customers why would they bother with someone else's customers

Because when you walk through the doors with the intentions to pay them for a service you become one of their customers.

I worked at a coffee shop for a while. We sold reusable take out mugs. When someone walked through the door and asked me to pour them coffee in their Starbucks mug we didn't refuse them service just because they didn't buy one of our mugs. This elitist attitude has got to go.

Last edited by: thaaad on July 3, 2018, 7:51 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
July 3, 2018, 10:58 p.m.

yeah except when you bought a YT you ain't trying to buy a 3$ mug of coffee, you bought a cheap bike on the internet which was cheaper cuz there isnt a shop to walk into, so now you walk into buddies shop but he doesn't take your money so you ain't a customer yet so what he is saying is fuck you they don't want you for a customer

I duno if they have to serve you I suppose you could out them on the internet or wait till the fall when they ain't so busy and maybe they will want the business

or maybe starbucks will fix it?

July 4, 2018, 9:12 a.m.

yeah except when you bought a YT you ain't trying to buy a 3$ mug of coffee, you bought a cheap bike on the internet which was cheaper cuz there isnt a shop to walk into, so now you walk into buddies shop but he doesn't take your money so you ain't a customer yet so what he is saying is fuck you they don't want you for a customer

I duno if they have to serve you I suppose you could out them on the internet or wait till the fall when they ain't so busy and maybe they will want the business

What,s funny is the Giant only bike shops will work on any bike go figure. Take it to the Wheel Thing , don,t think Jeff and his crew will play games like that. Business is business and they are mechanics not bike shop owners , big difference.

July 4, 2018, 9:32 a.m.

Am I part of a minority bike user group that has never bought a bike off the floor from a shop and has never had a problem getting my bike in for any service or to purchase/install any part?

July 4, 2018, 1:10 p.m.

Posted by: tallguyridesabike

Another odd thing is that I had a few bike shops completely refuse to service my faulty brakes or dropper post, even if I fully paid for the parts and labour and didn't worry about the warranty piece. They basically decided that they're busy enough with their own clientele and don't want to create longer service times by fixing direct-to-consumer brands, I guess?

sez it all ^^

you chose to be someone else's customer so if a shop is running a week behind on servicing their own customers why would they bother with someone else's customers even if they are willing to pay, sounds like tough love, they probably should have been nicer ... fixed it and charged you double

if an end loser hasn't got an extra bike to ride when their new YT shows up 2 months later than promised, if they can't do ALL their own service, if they don't have multiple spares sitting around for when shit breaks on warranty ... maybe they should reconsider YT ownership

Makes no sense.  You mean to say a guy who walks into a shop with a reverb to be rebuilt deserves tough love because they didn't buy it there? I guess tough cookies for guys on their road trip from out of town?  

I would love to know who the shops are this is nuts!

See Dave at Bicycle Hub, he's fast, will bend over backwards and prices are better than most if not all shops.

July 4, 2018, 1:19 p.m.

Yeah that’s ludicrous. 

Refuse the service = lose that sale and likely many more in the future. Likely spread negative word-of-mouth as well, which spreads at approx. 10x the rate of positive. The bike sale was already lost, how does your business benefit by losing even more sales?

Perform the service = make that profit and probably gain a customer. 

My staff would get fired for that type of shit.

July 4, 2018, 2:09 p.m.

Apparently at least " a few "  bike stores are pissed off enough so they refuse to deal with a YT owner, it might been have been an employee it might have been the owner.

So maybe don't tell them if you want a part serviced on a bike you bought on a direct to buyer internet deal

The standard move for getting rid of unwanted shop work is to quote a high price with a long ETA so refusing work happens any way you want to call it

July 4, 2018, 2:17 p.m.

you chose to be someone else's customer so if a shop is running a week behind on servicing their own customers why would they bother with someone else's customers even if they are willing to pay, sounds like tough love, they probably should have been nicer ... fixed it and charged you double

If a shop is running a week behind, they need to get better at scheduling/estimating jobs, stop overbooking, or hire more people.

I'll give another thumbs up for BicycleHub.  I've gone there twice for jobs that were more complicated than I could do myself, and both times the work was completed when promised and the prices were fair.  Dave was also willing to take time to answer a few questions.  Way better than my experiences at a couple of the local shops, one of which was where I bought my bike.

July 4, 2018, 2:25 p.m.

Maybe if these shops stopped refusing paying customers and dropped the elitist attitude there would be less shops going out of business.

Take the money.

July 4, 2018, 2:27 p.m.

How drunk were you when you wrote this?

July 4, 2018, 2:52 p.m.

there is what should happen in Unicorn land and then there is what actuly happens

apparently that is what happened if we are to belive what buddy wrote

I'm merely pointing out why 

I think I was high on espresso

Last edited by: XXX_er on July 4, 2018, 3:14 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
July 5, 2018, 3:47 p.m.

www.bicycleretailer.com/opinion-analysis/2017/12/04/opinion-its-end-road-ibd-say-hello-ibs#.Wz6f5N

Article is related.

July 5, 2018, 8:37 p.m.

Posted by: tallguyridesabike

I made an NSMB account just because of this thread.

I've posted this similar thing elsewhere as well so those that have Pinkbike or Vital accounts have probably read this before.

I have similar stories to the above.  Ordered my bike, told Date X but didn't get it until Date X + 2 months.  It was winter time so it didn't really bother me at the time.

However, when stuff started needing warranty work was where the big flaw in YT's business model shows up.  My dropper post failed in three rides and my rear shock blew up after a month of regular riding.  Both times, it was difficult to get JM on the phone or get him to respond to an email.  After a lot of waiting, he did get my stuff warranty repaired for me but I had to drive to Squamish to pick things up.  I was living in Vancouver at the time so it wasn't too bad.  But only a small percentage of customers would be able to do that.

When my Sram Guide RSCs failed, and I couldn't get a hold of JM for almost a month, I had had enough.  I eventually got a hold of him and he had me send in my brakes to him, and he'd send them on to Sram.  Seven months (7!) went by before I saw them again.  After about a month I started emailing and texting JM once a week asking questions...never heard back.  I put in a complaint to head office...never heard anything.  My theory is they were shipped to YT canada, and they laid around on a table somewhere for a few months before somebody noticed and sent them off to Sram.

I ended up buying a set of Shimano XT brakes online for cheap and installing them so I wouldn't miss a very important 3 week road trip I had been planning for almost a year.  If I were to have waited for YT...I would have had to either cancel my trip or rent bikes along the way.  My Guides were shipped back to me a few weeks after I got back from my trip.  Except....they were shipped to the wrong address and I had to get a random dude in Vancouver to forward them to me.

I actually really like the XTs and I'm sticking with them, but the whole thing was a pretty big inconvenience.  JM was nice about it, and sent me some swag as an apology, but even that took a long time to get to me.

Fast forward to this year, and things seem to be a bit better.  My dropper post died again (it IS a reverb, after all), and I had it fixed and returned to me in a week.  So that was top notch.  But I pretty much feel that I can't be a repeat customer until they have things sorted out.

Another odd thing is that I had a few bike shops completely refuse to service my faulty brakes or dropper post, even if I fully paid for the parts and labour and didn't worry about the warranty piece.  They basically decided that they're busy enough with their own clientele and don't want to create longer service times by fixing direct-to-consumer brands, I guess?

Funny, I wonder if those were the brakes that sat under our Service Writer desk for a long time..... Got shipped to us in error, left message for YT the day they landed, labelled them clearly and put them aside for them to collect.