My YT Canada experience

June 15, 2018, 9:27 p.m.

If you like to ride bikes a lot, you should do all your own wrenching *.

* Except cartridges.  That's why Jesus invented the likes of SWerx.

June 16, 2018, 8:02 a.m.

Regarding mail-order bike management - I agree that they should be further dismantled, fully lubed, add suspension fluid if needed - or at least check the levels, ensure bearings are packed, and re-assemble. But not every home-mechanic are willing to spend the 2-3 hours to do this.

However - I think the same thing about LBS bikes. Not every LBS is the same - and many do not go the extra mile to ensure that all the turney bits are properly greased or lock-tited.

In the end, get a wrench set, some grease, locktite and a couple of workbench beers and do a rundown yourself before ride #1. My biggest issue is the undeniable urge to get out there and go for a rip - must be something in the new bike smell.

June 16, 2018, 10:36 a.m.

I plan to do quite a thorough check on the bike before really getting it dirty. Bolts, torque values, spoke tension ect. I will also be doing a 3M cover on different parts of the frame.

June 16, 2018, 3:26 p.m.

Posted by: raidersroll

I plan to do quite a thorough check on the bike before really getting it dirty. Bolts, torque values, spoke tension ect. I will also be doing a 3M cover on different parts of the frame.

There are a couple of awesome local outfits in Vancouver that do full frame wraps. Ridewrap is one. Rockwrap I think is the other.

June 16, 2018, 4:03 p.m.

OR you can wrap top & side of top tube, top & bottom of down tube/ chain stays /seatstays for a 20 $ roll 4" wide 3M from lordco

Last edited by: XXX_er on June 16, 2018, 4:04 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
June 16, 2018, 4:36 p.m.

The Lordco 3M works well for the high wear areas. I bought an Invisiframe kit and wrapped my frame myself. Costs about the same as getting it done at Ridewrap (who I believe are in Whistler). Definitely takes some time, but the results are impressive.

June 16, 2018, 5:35 p.m.

what are they ^^ worth ?

Not a full wrap but the stuff from lordco wraps around the places with the high wear like the top and down the sides of the top tube or the bottom of the down tube, it definalty stops the minor scuff of a shoe or a tree branch, and even makes the bike easier to keep clean ...  definatley a good place to spend  20$

June 16, 2018, 5:50 p.m.

I do believe that if you buy a $5000 + bike you shouldn't have to go around checking all the spoke tensions and bolt torques etc. I was never a wrench in a shop but I worked in bikes shops for about 4 years a few decades ago. I can build a bike from the ground up, build my own wheels etc but I would hope that an actual mechanic in a bike shop full time should be able to do at least as good a job. I made Jenson pay for my tubless conversion and am still waiting for the custom chain guide bolt. It would have been nice to just drop the bike off though and have it all made better. That being said, saving a few thousand doesn't hurt either.

As for wrapping your bike in plastic? I feel the same way about this as I do cell phone covers. You wrap up your belonging in an ugly wrap and keep it that way for it's whole life then when you get rid of it, you unwrap it to expose the beautiful object you never got to enjoy. I say ride it and let it age as a mountain bike should. Cables rub, get over it. I do however love a clean bike - if you are going to spend time and effort keeping your bike looking good I say put that energy into keeping your drivetrain clean and your frame free of dirt and even add a little polish.

My 2 cents.

Oh, and for the guy still waiting for his bike.  I would tell them that if they haven't shipped your bike by the end of the week you want a refund - even if you don't mean it, maybe you can get carbon for the price of aluminum.

June 16, 2018, 6:13 p.m.

Posted by: XXX_er

what are they ^^ worth ?

Not a full wrap but the stuff from lordco wraps around the places with the high wear like the top and down the sides of the top tube or the bottom of the down tube, it definalty stops the minor scuff of a shoe or a tree branch, and even makes the bike easier to keep clean ...  definatley a good place to spend  20$

I got a full wrap for my frame, and the same for the fork.  I think it came out to around $150 with the shipping (and conversion vs GBP).  I also got the matte finish, which is the same finish as my bike.  The stuff from Lordco is usually gloss as it is meant for cars.  You might be able to find the matte finish if you hunt around and dont want gloss.

June 16, 2018, 10:28 p.m.

most bikes are coming with internal routing and cable rubs are a thing of the past

but if you got a gloss paint job its almost impossible to notice where you have stuck the 3M

I can't see why not for a 20$ roll of 3M at lordco

Last edited by: XXX_er on June 16, 2018, 10:31 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
June 17, 2018, 1:51 a.m.

YT’s model seems to sandwich their distributors. I dealt with the oceania one after snapping three cf capra’s and their were friendly, but ultimately perpetuated the same flaws - even supplying a replacement that YT knew had a defect which snapped catastrophically and painfully on its first ride. The Capra rode amazingly but at that point I lost all faith and immediately got something else.

June 17, 2018, 5:17 a.m.

Having used the 3M on several bikes , including my current bike , I will get it pro wrapped next time. 3M works great for straight tube frame , with hydro formed and carbon frames true vinyl is the best process. the 3M leaves one hell of a glue residue as well.

June 17, 2018, 8:15 a.m.

mix up a  little alcohol & water in a spray bottle ( I think it was 25%) and 3M will wrap around those curves and  i'm not planning to take it off

June 17, 2018, 9:10 a.m.

Posted by: XXX_er

mix up a  little alcohol & water in a spray bottle ( I think it was 25%) and 3M will wrap around those curves and  i'm not planning to take it off

hairdryer works wonders too, just heat it up a bit and it becomes way more pliable to make those curves.

June 17, 2018, 1:22 p.m.

A little heat from a hair dryer or heat gun on low. A water-solution; personally I use Windex. A pin and some type of firm yet soft item to flatten out creases/bumps/air bubbles FTW. 

Raw or ano alloy frames FTW. 

I’ve had the 3M tape on my Chromag for  ~ six years now. With proper time and lay out I could’ve wrapped the entire frame had I wanted to.

Bro, Brah, Bruh