My YT Canada experience

July 10, 2018, 11:55 a.m.

Posted by: XXX_er

so you detected a  shitty attitude on the the internet ... say it isnt so

you FEEL like I told people to fuck off

so a  common strategy when losing an argument on the internet is to personally attack the person you are arguing with or say something nasty about their mom

I gave reasons why a shop might chose to not deal with a customer, obviously they got enough money, its possible to do more work and net less money but  its all in there ^^  if you want more pain read it again and read between some of the lines

you still haven't suggested any good reason why multiple  shops  might refuse service to internet customers

Whether I personally attacked you is up for debate, but you need to face the fact that your communication skills need some improvement. I don't know if it's bad typing, lack of effort/caring, low English proficiency or some combination of all those things, but the clarity and readability of your posts is pretty low at times. The attitude you take with people is also an important part of communication and affects how they'll receive what you're saying. Give people shit attitude and you're less likely to be seen as credible. Funnily enough that also happens to apply to shops and the attitude they show their customers.

I don't know why I would suggest a good reason why shops would refuse service to internet customers - I'm not arguing for that. I'm arguing for the opposite, that shops should offer good customer service to whoever comes in their door as it's a good business practice. Yes you're correct that a shop has the right to refuse service, but I don't see a good reason why they would -  that's my point. I especially don't see a reason why they would be rude or disrespectful about it to a customer - also my point!  Even if a shop didn't want to service an internet bike, they could still manage to not be rude about it to a customer.

The proof of the pudding is this very thread as there are a few people here talking about bad service at unnamed shops. What's more important though is there are a bunch of people singing the praises of a couple of shops. If someone who didn't know where to take their bike for service was looking through this thread where do you think would go? Are they going to seek out the name of a shop that treated a customer poorly or are they going to go to one of the shops that people say offer great service?

July 10, 2018, 12:47 p.m.

Looks like the private message function on NSMB is broken again.

July 10, 2018, 2:35 p.m.

Posted by: syncro

Whether I personally attacked you is up for debate, but you need to face the fact that your communication skills need some improvement. I don't know if it's bad typing, lack of effort/caring, low English proficiency or some combination of all those things, but the clarity and readability of your posts is pretty low at times. 

Give him a break. He's way up narth in Smitters where teh interwebz connections are spotty, broken up and real sloooooooooooooooooow.

I'm sure if he wasn't using dial up there'd be compleat clarity in communicating.

July 10, 2018, 3:37 p.m.

I say hwy 16 vs hwy 99 Donut eating pilsner drinking competition to sort out who has a more refined opinion on worldly irrelevant internet topics.

July 10, 2018, 3:42 p.m.

so you detected a shitty attitude on the the internet ... say it isnt so

you FEEL like I told people to fuck off

so a common strategy when losing an argument on the internet is to personally attack the person you are arguing with or say something nasty about their mom

I gave reasons why a shop might chose to not deal with a customer, obviously they got enough money, its possible to do more work and net less money but its all in there ^^ if you want more pain read it again and read between some of the lines

you still haven't suggested any good reason why multiple shops might refuse service to internet customers

Whether I personally attacked you is up for debate, but you need to face the fact that your communication skills need some improvement. I don't know if it's bad typing, lack of effort/caring, low English proficiency or some combination of all those things, but the clarity and readability of your posts is pretty low at times. The attitude you take with people is also an important part of communication and affects how they'll receive what you're saying. Give people shit attitude and you're less likely to be seen as credible. Funnily enough that also happens to apply to shops and the attitude they show their customers.

I don't know why I would suggest a good reason why shops would refuse service to internet customers - I'm not arguing for that. I'm arguing for the opposite, that shops should offer good customer service to whoever comes in their door as it's a good business practice. Yes you're correct that a shop has the right to refuse service, but I don't see a good reason why they would - that's my point. I especially don't see a reason why they would be rude or disrespectful about it to a customer - also my point! Even if a shop didn't want to service an internet bike, they could still manage to not be rude about it to a customer.

The proof of the pudding is this very thread as there are a few people here talking about bad service at unnamed shops. What's more important though is there are a bunch of people singing the praises of a couple of shops. If someone who didn't know where to take their bike for service was looking through this thread where do you think would go? Are they going to seek out the name of a shop that treated a customer poorly or are they going to go to one of the shops that people say offer great service?

yeah so you lecturing me on how to treat people on the internet is laughable after reading the way you act/have acted now and towards others in the past on NSMB, and so it would seem failure to spel is now reasonable and probable grounds for rude personal attacks

in any case my com has been like this since 2002 and it ain't about to change, especialy for you so don't like it don't read it

as for shops refusing service its happening and you really expect me to believe you haven't got a clue why?

its pretty fucking obvious to me the reason these shops refused service is they were pissed at people who buy on the webz and so I'm interested in that reason  cuz if nothing  illegal or immoral occurred  the right or wrong of it is up to interpretation by anyone

and any refusal of service by a shop is just the value-add of buying on-line

July 10, 2018, 3:44 p.m.

Posted by: skidrc

I say hwy 16 vs hwy 99 Donut eating pilsner drinking competition to sort out who has a more refined opinion on worldly irrelevant internet topics.

i can't leave now someone on the internet is wrong

according to my spelczech you got 2 speling misteaks

July 10, 2018, 3:55 p.m.

no, mi steaks.

July 10, 2018, 4:04 p.m.

Posted by: skidrc

Mel-function the little dude in my computer doesn't like how you spell Doughnut, he also suggests  " pilaster"  is the  correct spelling for Pilsner,  not sure i agree with Mel on that last one

July 10, 2018, 4:48 p.m.

yeah so you lecturing me on how to treat people on the internet is laughable after reading the way you act/have acted now and towards others in the past on NSMB, and so it would seem failure to spel is now reasonable and probable grounds for rude personal attacks

in any case my com has been like this since 2002 and it ain't about to change, especialy for you so don't like it don't read it

as for shops refusing service its happening and you really expect me to believe you haven't got a clue why?

its pretty fucking obvious to me the reason these shops refused service is they were pissed at people who buy on the webz and so I'm interested in that reason  cuz if nothing  illegal or immoral occurred  the right or wrong of it is up to interpretation by anyone

Yeah I've been a bit of a dick in the past to people who deserved it imo, which doesn't make it right. I try to avoid that now. I don't really care about your spelling and didn't mention it at all, but the way you put things together, the readability, it needs work. That's not a personal attack or indictment on you as a person, that's just the way it is. You can take it for what it is and ignore it or make yourself a bit more coherent which may benefit you in the future - your choice. 

Re the rest of your post I'm not sure what you're saying that. I said before I know why the guy got stiffed by the shop. In fact it seems pretty clear we all know why and there is no debate over that. The discussion was over whether shops should be doing it and whether it's in their best interests to treat customers poorly who may have an internet bike or parts. You seem to think it's ok for a shop to stiff an online bike consumer and that person should expect to have to deal with that.  

I tend to think it's not a smart move by a shop to refuse service treat a customer poorly. Not only are they turning away dollars, they're potentially hurting their rep which may cost them more dollars and customers in the future. There's really only a couple of shops I go or would go to and one of the main reasons I go there is because their customer service and attitude are excellent. And that's not just based on how they treat me, that's an observation of how they treat anyone who walks in their store. That shop is Obsession in NVan and I heartily recommend them to anyone looking for service, parts or a complete bike. There's a lot of value in the way any business treats customers, it's too bad there are some that don't recognize that.

July 10, 2018, 5:34 p.m.

its pretty fucking obvious to me the reason these shops refused service is they were pissed at people who buy on the webz and so I'm interested in that reason cuz if nothing illegal or immoral occurred the right or wrong of it is up to interpretation by anyone

Yeah I've been a bit of a dick in the past to people who deserved it imo, which doesn't make it right. I try to avoid that now. I don't really care about your spelling and didn't mention it at all, but the way you put things together, the readability, it needs work. That's not a personal attack or indictment on you as a person, that's just the way it is. You can take it for what it is and ignore it or make yourself a bit more coherent which may benefit you in the future - your choice.

Re the rest of your post I'm not sure what you're saying that. I said before I know why the guy got stiffed by the shop. In fact it seems pretty clear we all know why and there is no debate over that. The discussion was over whether shops should be doing it and whether it's in their best interests to treat customers poorly who may have an internet bike or parts. You seem to think it's ok for a shop to stiff an online bike consumer and that person should expect to have to deal with that.

I tend to think it's not a smart move by a shop to refuse service treat a customer poorly. Not only are they turning away dollars, they're potentially hurting their rep which may cost them more dollars and customers in the future. There's really only a couple of shops I go or would go to and one of the main reasons I go there is because their customer service and attitude are excellent. And that's not just based on how they treat me, that's an observation of how they treat anyone who walks in their store. That shop is Obsession in NVan and I heartily recommend them to anyone looking for service, parts or a complete bike. There's a lot of value in the way any business treats customers, it's too bad there are some that don't recognize that.

last time I checked nobody is getting paid to read or write any of this dreck and it probably isn't going to change much

I was not actuly thinking about the morality of a shop refusing a customer service , I was only interested in WHY a shop would stiff the customer because just like internet bikes are new, the customer being refused service for buying them is NEW so its part of the whole internet sales phenomenon and saying Injustice towards the internet bike buyer is wrong  does not make it goes away

I am not saying anybody is a dick for buying a bike on the internet, I am not saying saying a shop is a dick for refusing service, its just what happened and so the guy looking at an internet bike should know this is or could be part of their whole experience

July 10, 2018, 5:52 p.m.

I was not actuly thinking about the morality of a shop refusing a customer service , I was only interested in WHY a shop would stiff the customer because just like internet bikes are new, the customer being refused service for buying them is NEW so its part of the whole internet sales phenomenon and saying Injustice towards the internet bike buyer is wrong  does not make it goes away

I am not saying anybody is a dick for buying a bike on the internet, I am not saying saying a shop is a dick for refusing service, its just what happened and so the guy looking at an internet bike should know this is or could be part of their whole experience

I think we're all interested in why the shop would stiff the customer or give bad service (for most of us it doesn't make any sense) and in this instance it's probably safe to assume that the shop owner/management has a dislike for internet branded bikes. 

The way you've been telling your tale though it almost seems that you think it's ok for a shop to treat the internet bike customer poorly.

July 10, 2018, 8 p.m.

ah yes so here we are getting to the meat of it several pages later, it seems now we are all interested in why, and in fact you arrived at the very same conclusion as I did that some shops were pissed off at internet buyers, but earlier you seemed to have trouble grasping and/or communicating that idea and were instead combative

we could all sit here and have a circle jerk about how being refused service sucks or we could discuss it

from the Urban Dictionary :

devil's advocate
dev·il's advocate
n.
One who argues against a cause or position, not as a committed opponent but simply for the sake of argument or to determine the validity of the cause

July 10, 2018, 9:18 p.m.

ah yes so here we are getting to the meat of it several pages later, it seems now we are all interested in why, and in fact you arrived at the very same conclusion as I did that some shops were pissed off at internet buyers, but earlier you seemed to have trouble grasping and/or communicating that idea and were instead combative

we could all sit here and have a circle jerk about how being refused service sucks or we could discuss it

from the Urban Dictionary :

devil's advocate
dev·il's advocate
n.
One who argues against a cause or position, not as a committed opponent but simply for the sake of argument or to determine the validity of the cause

Well not really. I knew pretty much why this person got refused service and it was never really in any doubt for me (or others it seems). I'm not sure why you'd think I had trouble grasping that though as it wasn't the point I was discussing. What I did disagree with was the analogy you first used and then the idea that it wasn't a bad thing for a shop to disrespect a customer.

But in terms of knowing why they got rejected, if that is the important part then why did you state earlier that you didn't care?

I give zero fucks why a bike store might refuse service, I think money is the same color no matter who gives it to you, but it did happen

From what I saw the discussion was mostly on whether it made sense for a shop to refuse service to someone with an internet bike (or parts) and whether it made sense for a shop to be rude to a customer for any reason. I think I've laid out some pretty solid reasons as to why I think it's not in a shops best interests to refuse to service that internet bike customer or to be rude to a customer in any sense. Who knows, maybe we both think the same thing but the disagreement has come down to a breakdown in communication. Whatever the reason, hopefully my point about why I think it's not in a shops best interest to treat a customer poorly is clear. Feel free to comment on that as you please but I don't think I can explain it any further than I already have.

PS - Being a devil's advocate is a perfectly fine position to take imo, just as long as the discussion is productive and actually moves towards some sort of reasonable conclusion. And if it's not news by now to anyone still following I love a good debate, but it needs to have substance and reasoning that is, well, reasonable.

Last edited by: syncro on July 10, 2018, 9:22 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
July 10, 2018, 9:32 p.m.

I think money is the same color no matter who gives it to you, 

Wrong wrong wrong! Canadian money is coloured differently by denomination!

July 11, 2018, 7:33 a.m.

We've now completely mixed up the "My YT Canada..." thread and "Bike Shops Listen" thread.  Congrats.