My YT Canada experience

July 8, 2018, 7:56 p.m.

Posted by: Koloss

I am surprised that the direct to consumer bike sellers don't partner up with willing shops in areas that they sell a lot of bikes in, and advertise them as their 'preferred service centre'.

They can't even organize delivering the bike they promised on time but follow the money, whats in it for the "willing shop"  ?

July 8, 2018, 9:05 p.m.

Posted by: XXX_er

They can't even organize delivering the bike they promised on time but follow the money, whats in it for the "willing shop"  ?

Ummm, you are aware that the online industry is composed of more than one individual who only represents one bike company in Canada right?

July 9, 2018, 7:57 a.m.

sure but the title of the thread is YT and we are talking about YT so whats in it for YT once they got yer money? Nothing so you either gotta  fix your own YT or go to a shop, if it is to be believed some shops won't deal with the YT customer which from reading  above comments is either wrong headed for the shop or didn't actualy happen

Sure there are other online outfits, I have seen an internet bike parts  reseller that was literally a 15yr old kid working out of his moms basement in the burbs, Trevor was not so much  at mechanics but he was a smart kid and actuly pretty good at the business aspect of delivering what people ordered from him

July 9, 2018, 11:24 a.m.

sure but the title of the thread is YT and we are talking about YT so whats in it for YT once they got yer money? Nothing so you either gotta  fix your own YT or go to a shop, if it is to be believed some shops won't deal with the YT customer which from reading  above comments is either wrong headed for the shop or didn't actualy happen

Sure there are other online outfits, I have seen an internet bike parts  reseller that was literally a 15yr old kid working out of his moms basement in the burbs, Trevor was not so much  at mechanics but he was a smart kid and actuly pretty good at the business aspect of delivering what people ordered from him

It's just that your posts are so rambling and incoherent at times it can be hard to figure out exactly what you're trying to say. I also don't get why you seem to be arguing in favour of the local shop giving bad service to people who have bought parts/bikes online. If someone comes into a shop willing to spend money they should be treated with respect.

July 9, 2018, 11:47 a.m.

Posted by: Brocklanders

I like the idea of the direct to consumer for less money model. I also have a good relationship with a couple of the shops here on the shore. If you buy your bike in the fall when they are trying to get rid of stock you can get a ripper deal, way under retail. So how much is one saving buying the internet bike?

Does anyone here actually pay full retail for a new bike? Seems like something is always getting fixed on my bikes. So they know me pretty well

I did a lot of research last year and my conclusion was that you needed to get 30-40% off Specialized, Santa Cruz, Norco, Devinci, Trek etc. to get the same value/build kit as a $4-5k YT or Commencal. Giant is the only big brand that was comparable without a discount (so discounted Giants were the best value, I almost bought a Reign Advanced for that reason but couldn't find one in the right size). 

I am seeing a ton of Commencals on the shore/sea to sky this summer, and a fair amount of YT's as well. Same in the bike park.

Endur-Bro - agree it would be sweet if some shops were opening later for us Mon-Fri office drone types to deal with service. I have to duck out of work a bit early to make it to BicycleHub to drop off/pick up my rigs... but I do it because the work is always top quality for a good price and Dave seems to be able to get me my bike before the weekend from a Monday drop-off. Those guys were putting in some long hours this spring, props to them.

July 9, 2018, 12:22 p.m.

Posted by: Koloss

I am surprised that the direct to consumer bike sellers don't partner up with willing shops in areas that they sell a lot of bikes in, and advertise them as their 'preferred service centre'.

This would seem the ideal situation for a service-only shop.

July 9, 2018, 12:55 p.m.

Posted by: syncro

It's just that your posts are so rambling and incoherent at times it can be hard to figure out exactly what you're trying to say. I also don't get why you seem to be arguing in favour of the local shop giving bad service to people who have bought parts/bikes online. If someone comes into a shop willing to spend money they should be treated with respect.

read all the posts again,  I suggested why someone might be refused service

nobody has contributed possible reasons why but they  feel unhappy about it   

I did say nobody owes you service but those shops will live or die on their choice's

but you feel  strongly enough the customer is owed service

that you are willing to put words in my mouth

what is so hard to understand ?

July 9, 2018, 1:10 p.m.

I did say nobody owes you service but those shops will live or die on their choice's

I would agree with syncro that your posts are hard to comprehend at times.  Perhaps it is the fact that you dont use punctuation or any semblance of sentence structure.  It makes long posts of text very difficult to read.

Back on topic, I have what I consider to be an 'internet' bike by the definition being used in this discussion.  It isnt the same model as YT or Commencal, but a brand that doesnt have a dealer network in Canada.  I would be pretty surprised if I walked into a shop as a paying customer and was refused service on said bike.  Fortunately, I have never had to cross this bridge, as I do all my own wrenching (apart from major shock/fork overhauls).  I definitely see the value in the new service only shops that have started to appear, and wish them all the success they can get catering to this side of the industry.

July 9, 2018, 3:54 p.m.

Reading all the posts again would be a bit of a painful process IMHO. Re putting words in your mouth, no, not at all. That's why I said it seems you're arguing for a certain point, which I and others seem to think is pointless. That point you're pushing for seems to be a potential customer can get stuffed or go pound sand if they have an online bike; that they should have zero expectation of getting their online bike services at a local shop.

I get it if you want to support your local shop (which I think is a good thing) but the days of expecting a customer to buy their bike and all their parts from the LBS are long gone. There are countless scenarios where a potential customer comes into a shop looking for service and/or parts and they have never purchased anything from that shop before. It makes zero sense from a business perspective to turn a customer away just because they have a bike or parts they got online. Shopping habits are changing and if shops don't shift their business model to meet the changing consumer demands then they might find themselves in trouble in the future.

July 9, 2018, 6:49 p.m.

read all the posts again, I suggested why someone might be refused service

nobody has contributed possible reasons why but they feel unhappy about it

but you feel strongly enough the customer is owed service

Reading all the posts again would be a bit of a painful process IMHO. Re putting words in your mouth, no, not at all. That's why I said it seems you're arguing for a certain point, which I and others seem to think is pointless. That point you're pushing for seems to be a potential customer can get stuffed or go pound sand if they have an online bike; that they should have zero expectation of getting their online bike services at a local shop.

I get it if you want to support your local shop (which I think is a good thing) but the days of expecting a customer to buy their bike and all their parts from the LBS are long gone. There are countless scenarios where a potential customer comes into a shop looking for service and/or parts and they have never purchased anything from that shop before. It makes zero sense from a business perspective to turn a customer away just because they have a bike or parts they got online. Shopping habits are changing and if shops don't shift their business model to meet the changing consumer demands then they might find themselves in trouble in the future.

Yes I understand, it is easier/preferable to be too lazy to read a few posts than admit you were wrong but then your posts are so often rambling or incoherent

I give zero fucks why a bike store might refuse service, I think money is the same color no matter who gives it to you, but it did happen

July 9, 2018, 6:55 p.m.

Posted by: shoreboy

a brand that doesnt have a dealer network in Canada.  I would be pretty surprised if I walked into a shop as a paying customer and was refused service on said bike.  Fortunately, I have never had to cross this bridge, as I do all my own wrenching (apart from major shock/fork overhauls).  I definitely see the value in the new service only shops that have started to appear, and wish them all the success they can get catering to this side of the industry.

well as i pointed out already, if you can fix your own stuff , if you don't worry about when you will recieve delivery ... it doesnt matter what bike or where you bought it

July 9, 2018, 6:58 p.m.

Yes I understand, it is easier/preferable to be too lazy to read a few posts than admit you were wrong but then your posts are so often rambling or incoherent

I give zero fucks why a bike store might refuse service, I think money is the same color no matter who gives it to you, but it did happen

Reading your posts is the equivalent to deadlifting 900 pounds for reps.  Don’t bring the word easy into this.

The notion your LBS has the parts you need when shit happens is laughable to those who regularly ride their bikes.

Queue the article how a 28.99mm spindle is for our good.

July 9, 2018, 7:10 p.m.

So you  seem to also be dog-piling on in this subject but again

did i actualy suggest its ok to refuse service OR are you also wrong ?

July 9, 2018, 7:47 p.m.

So you  seem to also be dog-piling on in this subject but again

did i actualy suggest its ok to refuse service OR are you also wrong ?

If Google-Translate was true to its word, you were implicating that your local shop could help you out when you were in a bind.

I ride every day in Whistler.  I go through A LOT of parts.  I start the year with a few bikes worth of parts.  Every year there is one thing I never thought of (punctured headset cup?  Are you kidding me?).  Every year I need to go to four or five shops with that, "Oh geeze, don't know if we got that".

All this said, LBS did not cause this.  It's sites like this and the manufacturers that are causing this fucking mess.

There's a reason why Apple has so few SKU's.

And as for your responses, there is a reason why Jesus invented punctuation.

July 9, 2018, 7:50 p.m.

" All this said, LBS did not cause this. It's sites like this and the manufacturers that are causing this fucking mess."

well yes why would a shop stock everything if peeps buy everything somewhere else than the LBS, again just making an observation not a judgement on whether this is good or bad

you could/should have said the reason you were wrong is that you couldn't understands my posts but its too late eh

you guys spend lotsa time working out on each other acting like right cunts over nothing/for no helpful reason but to one up,

but thats ok ... bad spelling is not Ya ?

Last edited by: XXX_er on July 9, 2018, 8:24 p.m., edited 4 times in total.