My YT Canada experience

June 18, 2018, 1:36 p.m.

Posted by: shoreboy

Posted by: XXX_er

what are they ^^ worth ?

Not a full wrap but the stuff from lordco wraps around the places with the high wear like the top and down the sides of the top tube or the bottom of the down tube, it definalty stops the minor scuff of a shoe or a tree branch, and even makes the bike easier to keep clean ...  definatley a good place to spend  20$

I got a full wrap for my frame, and the same for the fork.  I think it came out to around $150 with the shipping (and conversion vs GBP).  I also got the matte finish, which is the same finish as my bike.  The stuff from Lordco is usually gloss as it is meant for cars.  You might be able to find the matte finish if you hunt around and dont want gloss.

If you're going to wrap the underside of the down tube and chainstays you should use Shelter Tape - it's way tougher than the 3M stuff which is really only good for abrasion protection. Shelter Tape can absorb some impact. 

https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5054-967/Shelter-Bike-Frame-Protection-Tape-%281m-roll%29

June 18, 2018, 3:23 p.m.

Here is today's update. JM has upgraded me to the Capra CF model and I received the tracking information today. I'm not sure how long it will take to get from North Vancouver from Kelowna via DHL, but hopefully I will be shredding this weekend.  Pretty stoked.

Its tempting just to unbox it and go straight up Seymore, but I know I need to check it over and frame protect it first.

June 18, 2018, 8:06 p.m.

Posted by: raidersroll

Here is today's update. JM has upgraded me to the Capra CF model and I received the tracking information today. I'm not sure how long it will take to get from North Vancouver from Kelowna via DHL, but hopefully I will be shredding this weekend.  Pretty stoked.

Its tempting just to unbox it and go straight up Seymore, but I know I need to check it over and frame protect it first.

That sounds like great customer service by JM.  Happy for ya!

June 19, 2018, 8:21 a.m.

Pricey but worth it. Shelter tape is excellent. 

That plus mastic tape for the dropouts have bullet proofed most of my bike. I just wish rockshox used a  better black paint as it rubs off from cable ties. Thats really annoying.

June 19, 2018, 11:08 a.m.

Posted by: PSY

Posted by: ReductiMat

At least tell me the Capra is worth the wait!

I’m a bike slut. I love them all so my opinion shouldn’t be held in high regard.

That said, it’s a fuckin’ beaut.  (As soon as I replace those e13 tires that would flat on a sea wall ride).

hahaha. time to get some minions on that Capra boi!

I've had great luck with those tires. Definitely way more durable than any EXO casing Maxxis. Not DH casing strong but more similar to a DD casing....

June 19, 2018, 3:16 p.m.

It has arrived.

A day after it actually shipped, it has arrived.

The original bike I ordered (the Al Comp) still shows as 'order not processed', but the Capra CF JM upgraded me to arrived this afternoon.

I will be building it up tomorrow and am expecting everything to be good to go.

Moral of the story?

If you are buying a bike from YT Canada, I think you should call of email JM first and ask what he has in stock. You might get it the very next day.

Last edited by: raidersroll on June 19, 2018, 3:17 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
June 20, 2018, 1:07 p.m.

It has arrived.

The original bike I ordered (the Al Comp) still shows as 'order not processed', but the Capra CF JM upgraded me to arrived this afternoon.

Moral of the story?

If you are buying a bike from YT Canada, I think you should call of email JM first and ask what he has in stock. You might get it the very next day.

glad to hear it all worked out for you in the end. Enjoy the bike! Hopefully YT Canada cleans up their logistics cause I want to get my next bike from them.

June 20, 2018, 4:56 p.m.

It has arrived.

Moral of the story?

Wow, JM has stepped up the customer service/resolution this year. ReductiMat and I both had 2ish month delays on our bikes last spring (April 20ish original date, actual delivery June 15th) and received jack squat in compensation. As always, the bikes themselves are amazing and JM is a decent dude but the company overall needs to improve the customer experience as Commencal is way ahead of them in that regard, at least in Canada.

That said, I will probably order a Capra in the next couple years (after confirming it's physically in Canada and ready to ship, and not before selling my current bike).

Glad it worked out for you.

June 20, 2018, 8:24 p.m.

This doesn't sound too far off my YT experience. 

- Ordered a CF the week the new bikes came out. Was told the bikes were in stock and I would have it in 2.5 weeks.

- Sell my process, eagerly await first carbon bike.

- 2 weeks nothing, 4 weeks nothing, 6 weeks nothing.

- Every week I was told the bike may arrive that week as it gets to YT HQ on Wednesday and they try to ship before the weekend. 4 weeks in a row JM told me there was a 50/50 chance my bike would show up, and he never activated the tracking info...

- When the bike does arrive it was shipped to wrong the depot and I had to drive across Vancouver to pick the bike up before 5pm or not have it for the weekend after 6 weeks off the bike. (shipping was refunded to JM's credit)

- 3 rides in my Lyric blew and needed to be sent back LTP.

- 3 more rides my super deluxe blows up and is also sent back...

The bikes ride awesome, and I think jM is a nice guy... but with huge demand and one guy servicing all of Canada, the customer experience leaves something to be desired.

June 22, 2018, 9:23 a.m.

What do you mean your suspension blew up? what happened?

June 22, 2018, 11:44 a.m.

What do you mean your suspension blew up? what happened?

It's really irrelevant what the exact issue was, just what it took to address the problem. Sounds like a nightmare.

June 22, 2018, 1:42 p.m.

It has arrived.

Moral of the story?

Pics?

July 3, 2018, 1:24 p.m.

I made an NSMB account just because of this thread.

I've posted this similar thing elsewhere as well so those that have Pinkbike or Vital accounts have probably read this before.

I have similar stories to the above.  Ordered my bike, told Date X but didn't get it until Date X + 2 months.  It was winter time so it didn't really bother me at the time.

However, when stuff started needing warranty work was where the big flaw in YT's business model shows up.  My dropper post failed in three rides and my rear shock blew up after a month of regular riding.  Both times, it was difficult to get JM on the phone or get him to respond to an email.  After a lot of waiting, he did get my stuff warranty repaired for me but I had to drive to Squamish to pick things up.  I was living in Vancouver at the time so it wasn't too bad.  But only a small percentage of customers would be able to do that.

When my Sram Guide RSCs failed, and I couldn't get a hold of JM for almost a month, I had had enough.  I eventually got a hold of him and he had me send in my brakes to him, and he'd send them on to Sram.  Seven months (7!) went by before I saw them again.  After about a month I started emailing and texting JM once a week asking questions...never heard back.  I put in a complaint to head office...never heard anything.  My theory is they were shipped to YT canada, and they laid around on a table somewhere for a few months before somebody noticed and sent them off to Sram.

I ended up buying a set of Shimano XT brakes online for cheap and installing them so I wouldn't miss a very important 3 week road trip I had been planning for almost a year.  If I were to have waited for YT...I would have had to either cancel my trip or rent bikes along the way.  My Guides were shipped back to me a few weeks after I got back from my trip.  Except....they were shipped to the wrong address and I had to get a random dude in Vancouver to forward them to me.

I actually really like the XTs and I'm sticking with them, but the whole thing was a pretty big inconvenience.  JM was nice about it, and sent me some swag as an apology, but even that took a long time to get to me.

Fast forward to this year, and things seem to be a bit better.  My dropper post died again (it IS a reverb, after all), and I had it fixed and returned to me in a week.  So that was top notch.  But I pretty much feel that I can't be a repeat customer until they have things sorted out.

Another odd thing is that I had a few bike shops completely refuse to service my faulty brakes or dropper post, even if I fully paid for the parts and labour and didn't worry about the warranty piece.  They basically decided that they're busy enough with their own clientele and don't want to create longer service times by fixing direct-to-consumer brands, I guess?

July 3, 2018, 1:54 p.m.

Posted by: tallguyridesabike

I made an NSMB account just because of this thread.

I've posted this similar thing elsewhere as well so those that have Pinkbike or Vital accounts have probably read this before.

I have similar stories to the above.  Ordered my bike, told Date X but didn't get it until Date X + 2 months.  It was winter time so it didn't really bother me at the time.

However, when stuff started needing warranty work was where the big flaw in YT's business model shows up.  My dropper post failed in three rides and my rear shock blew up after a month of regular riding.  Both times, it was difficult to get JM on the phone or get him to respond to an email.  After a lot of waiting, he did get my stuff warranty repaired for me but I had to drive to Squamish to pick things up.  I was living in Vancouver at the time so it wasn't too bad.  But only a small percentage of customers would be able to do that.

When my Sram Guide RSCs failed, and I couldn't get a hold of JM for almost a month, I had had enough.  I eventually got a hold of him and he had me send in my brakes to him, and he'd send them on to Sram.  Seven months (7!) went by before I saw them again.  After about a month I started emailing and texting JM once a week asking questions...never heard back.  I put in a complaint to head office...never heard anything.  My theory is they were shipped to YT canada, and they laid around on a table somewhere for a few months before somebody noticed and sent them off to Sram.

I ended up buying a set of Shimano XT brakes online for cheap and installing them so I wouldn't miss a very important 3 week road trip I had been planning for almost a year.  If I were to have waited for YT...I would have had to either cancel my trip or rent bikes along the way.  My Guides were shipped back to me a few weeks after I got back from my trip.  Except....they were shipped to the wrong address and I had to get a random dude in Vancouver to forward them to me.

I actually really like the XTs and I'm sticking with them, but the whole thing was a pretty big inconvenience.  JM was nice about it, and sent me some swag as an apology, but even that took a long time to get to me.

Fast forward to this year, and things seem to be a bit better.  My dropper post died again (it IS a reverb, after all), and I had it fixed and returned to me in a week.  So that was top notch.  But I pretty much feel that I can't be a repeat customer until they have things sorted out.

Another odd thing is that I had a few bike shops completely refuse to service my faulty brakes or dropper post, even if I fully paid for the parts and labour and didn't worry about the warranty piece.  They basically decided that they're busy enough with their own clientele and don't want to create longer service times by fixing direct-to-consumer brands, I guess?

I remember reading about your challenges on that other website.  

That's crazy about your brakes.  Was it because SRAM had no parts?  A massive amount of brakes were affected. My experience was different than yours - JM responded within a day or two and offered to either send me the repair kit or I could send him the brakes. I chose the former and the kits arrived within days.  The fix was easy and no problems since.

Shops refusing you service is BS. As stated in many previous posts, good customer service will take on the customer no matter what bike they have and where they bought it.  If you're still in the GTA I suggest a shop like Bicycle Hub for your maintenance needs. 

I'm curious what the timeline is if you need to warranty the frame. I have not seen any posts about that process.  Maybe this is a good sign?

July 3, 2018, 2:24 p.m.

Posted by: tallguyridesabike

Another odd thing is that I had a few bike shops completely refuse to service my faulty brakes or dropper post, even if I fully paid for the parts and labour and didn't worry about the warranty piece. They basically decided that they're busy enough with their own clientele and don't want to create longer service times by fixing direct-to-consumer brands, I guess?

sez it all ^^

you chose to be someone else's customer so if a shop is running a week behind on servicing their own customers why would they bother with someone else's customers even if they are willing to pay, sounds like tough love, they probably should have been nicer ... fixed it and charged you double

if an end loser hasn't got an extra bike to ride when their new YT shows up 2 months later than promised, if they can't do ALL their own service, if they don't have multiple spares sitting around for when shit breaks on warranty ... maybe they should reconsider YT ownership