My Wheel Plays Like A Harp While I Ride

Sept. 1, 2021, 3:05 p.m.

About 8 months ago I laced up a new DT Swiss EX511 rim to a used 350 classic rear hub. I then had the bike shop dish and tension it. I have had it trued a few times now and at different shops and it still makes spoke noises while I ride. According to both shops it is laced in the correct 3 cross pattern. I used the nipple washers. So why is my wheel making noise while I ride?

The craziest part is I just laced up a new XM481 to a used 350 classic front hub and it's making the same noises!!!!! FML

Both built with DT Swiss brass nipples and normal single butt spokes.

Last edited by: heathen on Sept. 1, 2021, 3:07 p.m., edited 2 times in total.
Sept. 1, 2021, 3:43 p.m.

What do you mean by spoke noises? Are the wheels properly tensioned? Spoke prep used?

Sept. 1, 2021, 4:25 p.m.

Just a thought, but since you've built them with a used hub, do the current spokes come out of the hub flange holes in the same orientation as the previous build? The original spokes often leave a small indentation where they touch the flange, maybe if the new spokes are coming at a different angle it's enough to make them slightly  rub/click on the flange's little indentation/bump?

Last edited by: martin on Sept. 1, 2021, 4:27 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Sept. 1, 2021, 5:11 p.m.

This sounds like a potential culprit - could cause the spokes to be “plucked” by the grooves while the wheel flexes.

Last edited by: tashi on Sept. 1, 2021, 5:16 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Sept. 1, 2021, 6:19 p.m.

Spoke prep was used. 

I made sure to put the spoke in the same orientation as the first build.

Wheels are tight.

The noise is like a Spoke is being plucked like a Harp cord.

Sept. 1, 2021, 6:27 p.m.

When you squeeze the spokes around the wheel, do they feel like they all have the same tension? How tight do they feel? Undertensioned spokes allow the wheel to flex more and make noises. Or the divot in the hub flange thing

Sept. 1, 2021, 6:42 p.m.

All have even tension as far as my hands can tell.

Sept. 1, 2021, 8:23 p.m.

I'm using DT 350 classic hubs too, Sapim double-butted spokes with Sapim brass nipples and Sapim nipple washers. I've used WPL thick chain lube on the spoke threads and nipple heads/washers, tensioned my spokes to 105kgf on the rear drive side and front disc side... never touched them and never heard a spoke sound coming out of there in 3 years. Using WTB KOM Tough and Asym rims without any issue. I've never had this happen on any wheel I've had, that's a weird one.

Did you build the wheels with the same exact spokes brand/model and same brand/model rims as the last ones? Otherwise I'm out of ideas. You could try posting in the  "Wheels and tires" forum on MTBR, there are quite a few professional wheelbuilders actively responding on the forum.

https://www.mtbr.com/forums/wheels-and-tires.60/

Last edited by: martin on Sept. 1, 2021, 8:28 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added link
Sept. 1, 2021, 8:26 p.m.

Grab the wheel with both hands 180 degrees apart, rest it on the ground where the axle goes in and put your entire weight on it.  Then shift your hands ~15 degrees until you've done the whole circumference.

Then do the same for the other side.

At some point it will stop making noise, if it hadn't already.

If it's not making noise there, then it has to be something else...

Sept. 2, 2021, 8:42 a.m.

Posted by: ReductiMat

Grab the wheel with both hands 180 degrees apart, rest it on the ground where the axle goes in and put your entire weight on it.  Then shift your hands ~15 degrees until you've done the whole circumference.

Then do the same for the other side.

At some point it will stop making noise, if it hadn't already.

If it's not making noise there, then it has to be something else...

I am going to try this as I remember an wheel builder that used to do this.

It has also been suggested that I push on the spokes at the hub flange to make sure they are bent at the flange and not pointing away from. The flange.

Sept. 2, 2021, 8:43 a.m.

Posted by: martin

I'm using DT 350 classic hubs too, Sapim double-butted spokes with Sapim brass nipples and Sapim nipple washers. I've used WPL thick chain lube on the spoke threads and nipple heads/washers, tensioned my spokes to 105kgf on the rear drive side and front disc side... never touched them and never heard a spoke sound coming out of there in 3 years. Using WTB KOM Tough and Asym rims without any issue. I've never had this happen on any wheel I've had, that's a weird one.

Did you build the wheels with the same exact spokes brand/model and same brand/model rims as the last ones? Otherwise I'm out of ideas. You could try posting in the  "Wheels and tires" forum on MTBR, there are quite a few professional wheelbuilders actively responding on the forum.

https://www.mtbr.com/forums/wheels-and-tires.60/

I will check this out. Cheers.

Sept. 2, 2021, 9:08 a.m.

Its not sram brake warble?

Sept. 2, 2021, 9:52 a.m.

Posted by: heckler

Its not sram brake warble?

Definitely not. I am very familiar with the Sram Code Turkey call.

Sept. 2, 2021, 6:08 p.m.

Have you tried putting it in rice?

Sept. 2, 2021, 6:30 p.m.

lol