My thoughts on SuspensionWerx

Oct. 16, 2010, 2:13 p.m.

Since there's always recommendations for the SW when people ask about rear shock rebuilds and services, I thought I'd give my opinion regarding them. This is obviously a personal opinion based on my experiences between dealing with SW and Avalanche.

Overall, they do provide a great service with the exception of being hard to contact. I understand they have a business to run but the lack of available contact caused my first dissatisfaction with them, which was more my lbs' fault than theirs, was having to come back for the "fitting". This is definitely where Avalanche has the points over SW which I'll get into in a minute. My experience was this. Drop off the Swinger 4way at SW. 2 weeks later I had my the fitting appointment. I couldnt make this due to the fact my lbs couldnt finish my build in time (this was after I told the lbs I needed the bike by this date and time, totally different story in itself). I called SW only to receive their voicemail saying they werent accepting voicemails at this time. I emailed them asking if we could reschedule. No response. I decided I wanted to ride and get shock on the bike. I went into NV from Surrey the day after the Apt., picked up the shock and spoke with Arthur. He mentioned I missed the Apt, gives me a speech how about important the setup is and how I might actually damage the shock or shaft while riding it improperly setup for myself. My thoughts were "you guys just rebuilt it to my weight - what the sam hell are you talking about?". I didnt saying anything but 'ok', took the shock put it on the bike and soon got up to whistler.

I didnt realize this and was not told that the shim stack rebuild option on the Swinger 4way they offered actually removed the compression adjustment. I was not impressed with this as I found out up in Whistler trying to fine tune it myself before that oh so needed 'fitting' from SW.

Two park days in Whistler later I finally had the fitting appointment. I bring the bike into NV again and close to 1.25 hrs later, I had a new spring (for free) and the rear did feel noticeably better - which I would hope since if I could tune this thing better… Anyways, that was mid Sept and they said I still needed an even lighter spring which they didnt have in stock, would order me one and call me when its in. No call to this date yet.

So while they provide a great local service, it's not a simple drop off and pick up situation. My experience with Avalanche was quite different and had to be since they're located in Connecticut. You either order one of their shocks, or ship them your old shock to rebuild (if its on their list), give them your weight, riding styles and what you want the shock to do, it comes back ready to go on the bike and you ride. That simple. From all the user comments who have used SW, I was thinking it was along the same lines. Obviously the lbs put a flaw in the system with my situation but that's besides the point. I had the bike with me when I initially picked up the shock, didnt really want to come back for another appointment, and while I understand they have other apt's, I was essentially told I'm SOL - which if they picked up the tele or answered an email, wouldn't have been an issue. Yet when during my fitting Apt., they answered the fone all the time - just my luck. Whereas with Avalanche, it's a system that can't really be messed up by external forces.

So does SW offer a good valuable service? Yes.

Is the finished product good? For the most part, yes. If I was informed that I'd lose the Ext Compression adjustment, I wouldn't have gone with them. I like adjustments and those matters to me.

Does SW compare to Avalanche? Honestly, no. Not only is the Avalanche "ordering" system much more streamlined, the finished product is actually superior. I don't care how much of a SW fanboy you are, Avalanche simply makes better rear suspension products and upgrades.

On the final note about my time driving into SW for these appointments and the cost between SW and Avy since SW's locale factor is almost always mentioned. For pretty much $100 more (or assuming SW ever orders me the proper spring, that difference is only $40), I could've shipped my 4way to Avy, waited for the turn around time which after the missed appointment should've been less or the same as dealing with SW, I could've been riding a product that was setup exactly for me and would've felt better. I can honestly say that b/c I've owned an Avy product in the past before and STILL, the SW final product is not on the same level.

After all the reviews and raves regarding SW, especially with James' being a Manitou gawd, I'd expect them to know that a Swinger 4way needs this rate spring for a guy my weight on this brand bike, I'd expect them to have it in stock for me whenever that appointment is scheduled for as well. I also have come to despise any place in any industry that says we'll order this part for you at your cost and call you when it's in.. and then they do not call. If I'm willing to pay and spend even more of my time driving into NV to get my bike 'dialed', then you better keep your customer's happy. It's not that I hate them or the product, it's just after all the fan fare, I expected something more or on par with Avalanche, which the final product is not.

Yet oddly enough, I'll give them another shot when my Totem Solo Air needs an overhaul. For rear shocks in the future, I'll go with Avalanche again or give Elka a shot.

protect tom mcdonald at all costs

Oct. 16, 2010, 2:34 p.m.

My experience with Push Industries is in line with what you have experienced with Avalanche. Very streamlined, very easy to contact. I spoke with at least 4 Push employees and all were helpful and quick to pick up the phone/answer emails.

thinkin bout bikes

Oct. 16, 2010, 3:53 p.m.

Good honest review! I like it!

"X is for x-ray. If you've been bikin' and you haven't had an x-ray, you ain't goin' hard enough." - Bob Roll

Oct. 16, 2010, 4:40 p.m.

This is a pretty accurate review. So far I have been very satisfied with their service and product…..when I am there at the shop. I have had a fitting and a few items serviced. Getting hold of them is a totally different experience though and I totally understand your frustration with getting lectured about missing and appointment. Really it's their fault they never answered the phone, check messages or read email. By email I can get a response about 10 days after I sent it but I have never had a call returned. I have a fork there now for service and I want to know it's done before I drive out there in rush hour but it looks like I will have to risk it.

Oct. 16, 2010, 5:01 p.m.

My data, for balance:

Have emailed with an accompanying phone message SW twice and both times was answered with a telephone call within a couple days.

Have stopped by three random times for tuning issues and James has done a quick tune/adjust on the bike while I waited.

Stopped by and set up two drop off appts for rebuilds and they were expecting me on the arranged arrival day, and had my shock ready on the agreed pickup date.
(one was a Sunday morning as I picked it up on the way to Whis)

Did a fitting with me on my first rebuild pickups and swapped the spring for one that better suited my weight at no extra charge. Bike felt great.

Swapped in a higher end compression mech at my last rebuild as it was better suited to my weight, at no extra charge. Bike feels great.

Costs:
The three on the bike quick tunes were free.
The two rebuilds with the extras and including new DU's were $80.00 each.

Oct. 16, 2010, 5:41 p.m.

I've never been there, but it sounds like they should hire someone to specifically take care of 'front of the office' type duties. Answer phones, do scheduling, answer emails, all that stuff. Then they could give an experience that allows them to charge more. Just a thought.

www.vitalmtb.com

Oct. 16, 2010, 5:47 p.m.

i think James is a victim of his own success.

his business is larger then he can deal with me thinks..

Oct. 16, 2010, 6:02 p.m.

I've had pretty good luck calling and getting an answer but honestly I've founded it easier to just show up with my fork, quickly explain what I want and then leave it with him. He wasn't great with phoning to tell me it was ready but I phoned him when he said it would be ready and got the scoop. The few times I've been there its been really chaotic. Shop is clean and nice but crazy busy.

vegetarian: an ancient word for "likes to stay home with the ladies…"

Oct. 16, 2010, 6:52 p.m.

it seems a bit unfair to compare a shock manufacturer to a 2 person tuning company working out of a garage.

My experiences with Suspensionwerx have been nothing but fantastic, I don't think I'm just the lucky one because all of my riding buddies that are SW customers say the same thing. In fact I just picked up a used shock this afternoon and gave James a call at 5pm and he opened the doors up to take it in. It's pretty tough to complain about that.

Oct. 16, 2010, 7:05 p.m.

i think James is a victim of his own success.

his business is larger then he can deal with me thinks..

One has to keep in mind the time of year. That being certain times of the year getting any bike work done is an event.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

Oct. 16, 2010, 7:35 p.m.

it seems a bit unfair to compare a shock manufacturer to a 2 person tuning company working out of a garage.

Not really. Avalanche does take a while to get some replies back as well but when it comes down to it, you or at least I know what you'll be getting from them And in the end, they both offer services for our market. One just happens to be a mfgr of different types of products whether its mtb, sled or mx.

I just had different expectations based from the SW fan base.

protect tom mcdonald at all costs

Oct. 16, 2010, 8:01 p.m.

does it actually make a huge difference to a point where people take brand new fork to him?

Oct. 16, 2010, 8:08 p.m.

When I got my shock repaired, James replied to my email within a couple of hours of sending it. The shop was not busy when I dropped it off (late January). I phoned after about a week when it was estimated to finish being repaired. Damping platform rebuild with shim-stack cost $80 and I got a free spring. I would have appreciated getting a receipt for the work done though.

Oct. 16, 2010, 8:12 p.m.

I had James re-build my rear shock (Marz Roco) and have nothing but praise for the result and service. I mailed it to him, he emailed me back with a few questions, fixed it and sent it back. I would absolutely recommend Suspensionwerx - worth every penny AND the work was done for a very reasonable price.

Oct. 16, 2010, 8:19 p.m.

The shop was not busy when I dropped it off (late January).

Not counting emergencies. Best time of year to get work done is in winter. Not as busy so not having to wait in que foe your fork/shocks turn with the tech.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/