Multi-impact street/DJ helmets?

Aug. 28, 2006, 5:45 p.m.

Before I pull the trigger on a Pro-Tec Ace, I thought I'd check in and see if there was anything else out there.

No Bell or Mace products, please. My Faction experience has ensured that I'll never own another Bell product again, and Mace's website made my eyes bleed.

Mighty Riders
On The Rivet Cyclewear
Vallie Components
Novex Clean Delivery Solutions

Aug. 28, 2006, 6:11 p.m.

pro tec ace is the best helmet ever………..just got mine yoinked from the skatepark and i am pissed.

- bike sexual

Aug. 28, 2006, 8:28 p.m.

Triple Eight helmets. I believe it was Chunk who has experience with them, seemed to like them alot and they are designed to take multiple impacts.

22 Pride

Aug. 28, 2006, 8:29 p.m.

Triple Eight helmets. I believe it was Chunk who has experience with them, seemed to like them alot and they are designed to take multiple impacts.

There are no multiple impact helmets. Just marketing.

Aug. 28, 2006, 8:31 p.m.

hahah!! yup. Search for some of my posts including the words "triple eight" or something. I deffinatly wont go into it again like i did in that thread. I was gushing in that thread hahah!! But yes, it fits very well, and will take tons of hits cuz it used flexible foam instead of that brittle hard foam you find in most helmets. Although, i think in the thread im talking about somebody mentioned pro-tec also having a soft foam helmet. So just look around in skate shops and bikes shops. You'll find one.

Its hard to fuck up the design of a brain bucket. But the soft foam is deffinatly the way to go.

PS-

ignore this kid ;) (seriously)

thinkin bout bikes

Aug. 28, 2006, 11:07 p.m.

Care to elaborate?

I'm all for dispelling marketing hokum, but it seems reasonable that softer "memory" foam, which doesn't get destructively compressed on impact, would bear multiple impacts greater than the stiff styrofoam of my very recently retired Bell Faction.

Then again, I know little of physics and even less of materials engineering. Do enlighten us. :)

Mighty Riders
On The Rivet Cyclewear
Vallie Components

Aug. 29, 2006, 3:08 a.m.

helmets here in europe got changed a couple of years back, all the shops and companies had to ditch the skate style helmets with compressed, flexible foam liners and stock a helmet with expanded polystryene foam style liner to meet some new EU safety standard

it means the helmet has to be changed after an impact as the liner cracks, but it also means the helmet absorbs alot more energy as the new liners are way thicker than the old style ones

rob

Mythic / Da Kine / Esher Shore / Freeborn

http://hampsteadbandit.blogspot.com/

Aug. 29, 2006, 6:35 a.m.

TSG helmets, harder to get in US/Canada but thats what im going to replace my bell faction with.

Aug. 29, 2006, 8:57 a.m.

Care to elaborate?

I'm all for dispelling marketing hokum, but it seems reasonable that softer "memory" foam, which doesn't get destructively compressed on impact, would bear multiple impacts greater than the stiff styrofoam of my very recently retired Bell Faction.

Then again, I know little of physics and even less of materials engineering. Do enlighten us. :)

Sorry, slightly disingenuous of me to post that and then walk away.
I have genuinely yet to see one that is designed and sold for biking.
Memory foam is (as far as i can see - is this where your experience of it as a helmet material comes from?) mostly being used for hockey - one of the problems with a multi impact helmet (memory foam or not) is rebound of the material. This is not something that current test rigs are measuring.
Some companies make multi impact helmets for skating - where the level of impact can be lower (depending on what test you are applying). Check out the govts take on this - all the multi impact helmets are being tested to lower/different standards than bike helmets.
The brainsaver for example is not CPSC certified. Show me a helmet that is designed and sold as a bike helmet and i'll gladly retract my statement. And maybe even buy one.

Aug. 29, 2006, 10:41 a.m.

From the Pro-Tec site:
Pro-tec SXP helmets are the only lightweight, multiple impact helmets to be CPSC approved and deliver the style and fit the market demands.

SXP is Pro-Tec's proprietary multi-impact foam.

I'm not only president of Head Clubbing for Men, I'm also a client.

Aug. 29, 2006, 10:50 a.m.

Memory foam is (as far as i can see - is this where your experience of it as a helmet material comes from?) mostly being used for hockey - one of the problems with a multi impact helmet (memory foam or not) is rebound of the material. This is not something that current test rigs are measuring.
Some companies make multi impact helmets for skating - where the level of impact can be lower (depending on what test you are applying). Check out the govts take on this - all the multi impact helmets are being tested to lower/different standards than bike helmets.
The brainsaver for example is not CPSC certified. Show me a helmet that is designed and sold as a bike helmet and i'll gladly retract my statement. And maybe even buy one.

I'm wrong. Dizzy on Lonsdale carry Protec.

Aug. 29, 2006, 12:50 p.m.

You were no more disingenuous than the average gear manufacturer's website. :D Pro-Tec's, for example, states that the "skate" version of the B2 SXP and Ace SXP multi-impact helmets are CSPC-certified; the "snow" and "water" versions of the same helmet are certified to some other standard; and the "bike" version bears no mention of any certification at all.

Mighty Riders
On The Rivet Cyclewear
Vallie Components

Aug. 29, 2006, 3:25 p.m.

I have the same triple eight helmet that chunk has I think (the black and yellow one). it's easily the most comfortable skid lid I've worn, I won't go into it any more than that.

Aug. 29, 2006, 8:47 p.m.

me and my friends transfer or helmets ramp to ramp in the park all the time. you can throw them off buildings and they are a ok.

- bike sexual

Aug. 30, 2006, 11:33 a.m.

TSG helmets, harder to get in US/Canada but thats what im going to replace my bell faction with.

Plenty of shops in the UK will ship to you lot over the pond ive got a tsg and cannot be happier with it. Fit is exceedingly comfortable and paintowrk is as durable as hell luckily ive not came off that many times but when i have i havnt felt a thing. Very good helmet for the money.