Mud Control

Nov. 18, 2010, 9:19 p.m.

usually it's well controlled with my ass and face…

Nov. 19, 2010, 8:03 a.m.

sorry dean , i don't , but i can tell you right off it is way tidier , mo' solid , and more effective than the rig tdiddy has posted there .

it took a bit of trial and error to get the space just right . first i taped the arch to protect it from the chafing , then i placed the fender on top of the arch and guessed how much filler was needed to make it sit right and then taped that on , so it would remain securely in place . the fender then attaches with two zip ties .

when it was dry , the fender comes off , and when i can see some wet weather coming , two zip ties puts it back on .

and we have a lot of zip ties around the WBP :lol:

Nov. 19, 2010, 1:43 p.m.

thanks for commenting on the effectiveness and solidness of my setup. funny how i never had any problems with either. Probably moves less than the lowers on my boxxer, and oddly enough kept all the mud out of my face. but whatevs.

www.travelswithtyler.com

Nov. 19, 2010, 5:31 p.m.

Those look like good set ups. That combined with a downtube fender and your face should be mud free.

Nov. 19, 2010, 6:03 p.m.

there's a video of Damien Spagnolo up on dirt.mpora.com right now that shows the fender they use quite well.

www.travelswithtyler.com

Nov. 23, 2010, 3:17 p.m.

I dont think that gaurd will do much dean as it does not really catch the mud that hits you

I think the most effective guards I have seen are the "ghetto" mud flap on front fork and the mud gaurd on the downtube.

The ghetto gaurd stops the mud at speed from spraying forward and eventually into your face.
The flap on your down tube stops the same mud at lower speed from shooting up at your body and face.

This is am example of one but I have made them out of bottles ect and zapped them on the downtube when its really muddy out there
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=22990

Blogging - Never before have so many people with so little to say said so much to so few.

Dec. 2, 2010, 10:24 a.m.

Similar idea on a kick ass custom motorcycle - www.hellforleathermagazine.com/2010/12/custom-much-much-go/

Dec. 4, 2010, 10 a.m.

The muddy tube contacts the stanchions as the fork cycles. My 66 has nickel coated stanchions and while the scratches may only be cosmetic, they are noticeable.

People always make them the wrong size, either too long, too wide or both.. Make sure you cut it a little short so it always pulls some of the stretch out when you attach it to your bike.

Dec. 4, 2010, 5:45 p.m.

I dont think that gaurd will do much dean as it does not really catch the mud that hits you

I think the most effective guards I have seen are the "ghetto" mud flap on front fork and the mud gaurd on the downtube.

The ghetto gaurd stops the mud at speed from spraying forward and eventually into your face.
The flap on your down tube stops the same mud at lower speed from shooting up at your body and face.

This is am example of one but I have made them out of bottles ect and zapped them on the downtube when its really muddy out there
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=22990

I'm pretty sure that the muckynutz thing (in the OP) does the same thing as the ghetto guard, it just catches the flying mud slightly earlier. But it's the same mud, from the same place, heading in the same direction. The result will be the same and IMHO the mucky nutz fender is much tidier looking than a bit of inner tube strapped to the fork. It also keeps your stanchions and seals a bit cleaner. I actually bought one for each bike because I saw it in this thread, and so far it appears to work very well, so thanks Dean! :)

Dec. 7, 2010, 8:49 p.m.

The MuckyNutz work great. Thanks for digging these up Dean!
My buddy and I have been using them for a couple weeks and they will probably never come off the bike, there is no need to ever remove them. These things fit great and you don't even know they are there, other than the lack of mud on your face!

I will be putting them on all my bikes!
:rocker:

Dec. 8, 2010, 2:58 p.m.

Wow, if it's good enough for Hammerskulls then it's good enough for me! I just ordered one.

My ghetto guard rubs on the front tire when the suspension is compressed, which I find distracting (though this is functional by removing more mud). I do cut them short and stretch them on, however I suspect I'm losing some suspension capacity when doing this. The MuckyNutz looks like a much cleaner solution. And only $14 Cdn shipped!

d

www.fvmba.com

Dec. 13, 2010, 7:22 a.m.

yeah, I just ordered one too, let's hope it works as advertised.
Posted via Android Mobile Device

Dec. 18, 2010, 8:27 a.m.

I just ordered 3 of the 2.0 version… How long did it take to ship for you guys?

Dec. 18, 2010, 8:57 a.m.

Speaking of Muckynutz products, has anyone tried the beer cap bar end plugs they make? They work?

Dec. 18, 2010, 5:59 p.m.

Still waiting, and I got a confirmation that it was shipped on Monday, I figure it's coming from across the pond, and it's crazy time for shipping anything…so who knows how long it will take.