MTB shoes are Fugly!!

Aug. 27, 2015, 5:56 p.m.

that shoe is fugly! I would never wear those!

Aug. 27, 2015, 6:12 p.m.

I ride in these, they are OK. I find that they lack mid-sole support, so I use a reinforced insole. When they wear out, I'm going back to the traditional Impact 2 (as opposed to the VXi).

completely agree. still a very good shoe though, high volume and comfy with fitting options via footbeds and socks. i think these will be more appreciated in the winter in particular. i find the toe protection a bit on the soft side along with the midsole. i guess a lot of guys prolly prefer that but i'd like them a bit stiffer and beefier.

Aug. 27, 2015, 6:15 p.m.

^^^

These are the best shoes I've ever had. My second pair haven't held up as well as the first but they're functional, don't look like moonboots and fit me like nothing else.

Aug. 27, 2015, 10:54 p.m.

If you have shoes you like they can be made into awesome riding shoes. My girlfriend made these for me.
They're cheap 3/4 top skate shoes with 5.10 stealth rubber and a stiffened mid -sole layer of some stiffer nylon-ee crap. They're pretty great.. And nearly 3 years (I'm guessing.. I've forgotten when she made them).
Quick Cobbler at 2nd and Cambie.

Aug. 28, 2015, 10:02 a.m.

http://fiveten.com/products/footwear-detail/13888-freerider-vxi-charcoal-black

been on these since they where 1st put on the market , not as big and clumsy as the original Impacts , they work well even with the big bald spot on the sole .

just about time for a fresh pair for next season , maybe after the winter

#northsidetrailbuilders

Aug. 28, 2015, 3:12 p.m.

I am just waiting for the Shimano AM7's to come out. I just hope they are a little stiffer than my AM41's.

Aug. 29, 2015, 7:33 a.m.

http://fiveten.com/products/footwear-detail/13888-freerider-vxi-charcoal-black

been on these since they where 1st put on the market , not as big and clumsy as the original Impacts , they work well even with the big bald spot on the sole .

just about time for a fresh pair for next season , maybe after the winter

Yep. The stock insole doesn't offer enough support for me but otherwise it's an excellent shoe. I like the bald spot as its sticky and grips to the pins but it's easier to reposition my foot than with the impacts.

Wrong. Always.

Aug. 29, 2015, 8:51 a.m.

Yep. The stock insole doesn't offer enough support for me but otherwise it's an excellent shoe. I like the bald spot as its sticky and grips to the pins but it's easier to reposition my foot than with the impacts.

i put in some different insoles with more arch support , helped out forsure .

#northsidetrailbuilders

Aug. 30, 2015, 10:54 p.m.

Post #69….WOOHOO!!!

April 4, 2016, 11:09 a.m.

So I'm looking for new clipless shoes again. My current older beat up shimanos have the cleat as far back as it goes but I would like it back a little farther. Anyway, I went to MEC and looked at the Mavic Crossride SL Elite and thought they fit nicely and felt suprisingly decent walkin in too. But when I looked at the slots for the cleats…they don't go back very far. I would definitely need to mod the shoe to get the cleat to my liking. No thanks. Next I tried on the Shimano M089. Even more comfortable, roomier toe box and the cleat slot goes WAAAY back, even more than I would need. So that's my favorite but I see the AM9 is available at other MECs (not the one I frequent) and am wondering if anyone has experience with the M089 or the AM9 (or both.)

My only concerns about the M089 is lack of toe armor and not too sure if the sole is stiff enough. The AM9 I'm assuming would be a bit more armored (it looks very ENDURO haha) and the sole looks like it would have Five Ten levels off bike traction. But also wondering about the stiffness of the sole.

Wrong. Always.

April 4, 2016, 11:23 a.m.

So I'm looking for new clipless shoes again. My current older beat up shimanos have the cleat as far back as it goes but I would like it back a little farther. Anyway, I went to MEC and looked at the Mavic Crossride SL Elite and thought they fit nicely and felt suprisingly decent walkin in too. But when I looked at the slots for the cleats…they don't go back very far. I would definitely need to mod the shoe to get the cleat to my liking. No thanks. Next I tried on the Shimano M089. Even more comfortable, roomier toe box and the cleat slot goes WAAAY back, even more than I would need. So that's my favorite but I see the AM9 is available at other MECs (not the one I frequent) and am wondering if anyone has experience with the M089 or the AM9 (or both.)

My only concerns about the M089 is lack of toe armor and not too sure if the sole is stiff enough. The AM9 I'm assuming would be a bit more armored (it looks very ENDURO haha) and the sole looks like it would have Five Ten levels off bike traction. But also wondering about the stiffness of the sole.

The shimano m200 shoe has a extra long slot to get the cleat where you want it
Best clip less shimano shoe I have ridden in the last two years

April 4, 2016, 11:25 a.m.

The shimano m200 shoe has a extra long slot to get the cleat where you want it
Best clip less shimano shoe I have ridden in the last two years

Yeah, I don't think MEC carries that model (I have gift cards coming out the ying yang.) But that does look like the best shoe for my needs (assuming it fits like the M089.)

Wrong. Always.

April 4, 2016, 11:52 a.m.

Had to put a foot down in a rocky section at speed and consequently had my large toenail split cleanly in half by a rock despite wearing these
convinced me there can never be enough toe armor. Wouldnt want to know if I had worn bunny slippers Vans.

April 4, 2016, 7:28 p.m.

good timing toying with some new clipless shoes myself , the AM9 I like , will have to check them out , my current shoe is a old pair of DX,s , they don,t have even cleat adjustment to suit my style after riding flats for the last 4yrs

#northsidetrailbuilders

April 5, 2016, 6:48 a.m.

Another shoe that just hit my radar is the new Pearl Izumi X-Alp Launch II. Gets good reviews and it's an interesting look. Doesn't look like the typical disco boot style nor a skate shoe offshoot. The Boa is right on top and adjusts evenly for both sides of the thick padded tongue, the carbon infused shank is stiff and there's grippy tread and some engineered flex for hike a bike. Also at MEC, I will have to hunt a pair down. If they feel good on my feet I think I will go that way. It looks like the cleats can go back pretty far although not Shimano M200 or M089 far.

Wrong. Always.