MTB shoes are Fugly!!

July 28, 2016, 11:48 a.m.

my answer would be yes, the more $$ shoes last longer.
my $300 giro shoes still function the same today as tehy did when i bought them in 2012.
i did dh races on them, ride in the winter, ride in the summer. sure they look worn with toe scuffs and some worn sole, but the cleats stay in, the velcro and ratchet straps work.
Every pair of Shimano shoes i've had, going back 20 years or so, the soles peel off.
i've had high end shoes from diadora, specialized and now giro, and they seem to last. the only reason i've had to replace them are :
left them on the roof and drove away ( diadora )
i caught a knot on a log and ripped a gash in the shoe ( specialized ) they still work, however, and the rip has not gotten larger.

YMMV of course.

every pair of clipless shoes I ever owned at one point or another the sole peeled off , even adding glue to a new pair did not increase the life much , since switching to flats I get lots of life , and I ride more .

#northsidetrailbuilders

July 28, 2016, 12:59 p.m.

every pair of clipless shoes I ever owned at one point or another the sole peeled off , even adding glue to a new pair did not increase the life much , since switching to flats I get lots of life , and I ride more .

i think it depends on the shoe type as for the sole peeling off. if its soft and squirmy, the chances of it peeling off of the sole are greater. granted my shoes don't have the modern 'enduro' sole, it hasn't affected my riding that much. the island trails are a bit more mellow then north shore style, so i stay on my bike more on the ups and downs with less walking. that might help out the soles? who knows.

July 28, 2016, 5:01 p.m.

If one wants gucci disco shoes that'll last a lifetime go with Sidi as all the shoe parts are replaceable.

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

July 29, 2016, 7:43 a.m.

If one wants gucci disco shoes that'll last a lifetime go with Sidi as all the shoe parts are replaceable.

this is true. Sidi shoes last forever too. i don't know why i don't own a pair, i don't think the fit on my foot was as good as the options i had. i know of a few people that have some old Sidis that are going strong.

July 29, 2016, 11:53 a.m.

Been riding the same two pairs since forever. One for flats and one for spd. Would be fun to try something new but they fit so good.

I do not understand the need to go all pubescent skater like some seem to like. Not very tasteful.

July 29, 2016, 2:59 p.m.

Been riding the same two pairs since forever. One for flats and one for spd. Would be fun to try something new but they fit so good.

I do not understand the need to go all pubescent skater like some seem to like. Not very tasteful.

I have the earlier version they are grey and don,t have the lace covers , I also have the newest AM7,s and I love them , great in the muck as they don,t weigh 800lbs like 5/10,s do , and they are comfy to wear for 6 to 8hrs

#northsidetrailbuilders

July 29, 2016, 6:53 p.m.

5.10s are great.

MTB 'fashion' has always sucked, so who cares.

5/10s are great if you love fixing up parts of the shoe that are coming un-glued with super-glue. Its a pretty small thing to ask of a sole that almost never touches the ground.

July 29, 2016, 10:11 p.m.

i've been on the 5.10 freeriders canvas all summer. very breathable as claimed making them great in the heat, especially compared to the impact vxi (or whatever). the outsole seems to be stitched on so high hopes for longevity. they are however, very flimsy, like there is no midsole guts at all. i use the thickest sole footbed and a custom made stiffener plate to make them comfortable. as far as i know, there are no high quality, high performance flat shoes with appropriate torsional resistance. 5.10 could learn a lot from hiking shoe or even tennis shoe makers.

July 31, 2016, 8:17 a.m.

I've got some 5-10 flats for DH, they're bomber and they've lasted a good 5 years of use (this excluding the few years I was away). Heavy, yes, but bomber.

My most recent SPD compatible shoe is the Giro Chamber and they're awesome. I skate as well, and I dig the understated style of this "pre-pubescent" shoe moreover the uber "high-tech maximum performance" plastic bionic auto-pulley space-age fixture winged and flared Dunbar, Kitts, West Side look-at-me favourites.

No dis either way, so long as we're all having fun, no shits given… Just ride, baby, just ride :clap::rocker:

"I'm addicted to surfing."