MTB Gravel Bike Conversions

March 6, 2023, 1:08 a.m.

I posted this a few times in the Hardtail Thread, but I guess it fits here too. A Stooge Scrambler 20" frame with drop bars. I think the Scrambler would be too small for me with flat bars (lanky 6'2") but it fits very well with drops.

It has a very short, upright stem right now (60mm Analog Gnomehopper), that's mainly because I wanted to try the Analog Cycles upright posture drop-bar Kool-Aid. The build was heavily inspired by the Tanglefoot Moonshiner. It's great for general-purpose dicking around in the woods, which is exactly what I wanted. Tame singletrack is a little spicier, and with enough precision and patience you can ride pretty much anything on it. Still working on jumps/drops with drop bars, that feels very weird, but I think I just need more practice.

I have 2.35 Mezcals on her now, but when I move back to the States and sandier climes then I'll probably swap the front to something bigger. A 2.6" at least or maybe up to a 3.25".

I'm taking her to a couple events around Europe this summer - Grinduro Germany in May, the Salzkammergut Trophy Gravel in July, and the North Wales 400 in August, so I'll really put her through her paces then.

March 6, 2023, 8:13 a.m.

Posted by: TristanC

the Salzkammergut Trophy Gravel in July

Ha, this is now a gravel event? I did the B course (110 km I think) ~15 years ago, back then it was called XC marathon but of all the marathon races I did in the alps this one was probably the closest to what is now called gravel so it makes sense.

Bike looks great!

March 6, 2023, 10:11 a.m.

Does sticking dropbars on a Kona Unit count as a "conversion" ? I've seen some pretty lovely examples, but they all seem to have the bars really low, which does add to aesthetic but feels like it may be painful

March 6, 2023, 10:54 p.m.

Posted by: [email protected]

the Salzkammergut Trophy Gravel in July

Ha, this is now a gravel event? I did the B course (110 km I think) ~15 years ago, back then it was called XC marathon but of all the marathon races I did in the alps this one was probably the closest to what is now called gravel so it makes sense.

Bike looks great!

It's still a MTB event, but they added a few more courses, including an only-gravel one. I was signed up for the A course, but then I read the (extensive) rules and found out drop bars aren't permitted :(

The "gravel" course is pretty much the same as the C course.

March 7, 2023, 8:45 a.m.

As I was riding through snow (especially snow with a layer of water on top a la freshly zamboni'd ice rink) I thought to myself, thank god for these wide riser bars.  I would probably be sporting a broken collarbone if I had been on drop bars.  That said still drop bar curious for my mtb to gravel/city/commuter conversion.

March 9, 2023, 2:41 a.m.

The Krampus Gravel bike AKA - Kravel.

March 9, 2023, 7:51 a.m.

Nice, Marty!

The plastic bag stuffed under the saddle is for when it rains and the saddle gets wet... or??

March 9, 2023, 12:09 p.m.

Posted by: [email protected]

Nice, Marty!

The plastic bag stuffed under the saddle is for when it rains and the saddle gets wet... or??

Exactly.  It's when I lock it up so the saddle stays dry.

March 9, 2023, 11:20 p.m.

Posted by: fartymarty

Does the odd brifter routing with the shifter cable out of the side bother you? I've got 2 bikes with Microshift brifters, and I alternate between "whatever, it's a cable," and "WHY ISN'T IT UNDER THE TAPE."

March 9, 2023, 11:39 p.m.

Does the odd brifter routing with the shifter cable out of the side bother you? I've got 2 bikes with Microshift brifters, and I alternate between "whatever, it's a cable," and "WHY ISN'T IT UNDER THE TAPE."

I get what you mean about the cable but I went cheap so I'm cool with the compromise.  You're right though it would be a ton nicer under the bar tape but then I would have to run an empty outer on the left so they feel the same.

March 18, 2023, 8:39 p.m.

I've built up a 2019 Kona HonzoST into a rigid gravelpackingX bike.

edit: I can't seem to post pics. I have posted pictures in the past over the years. Not sure what the issue is this time around.

Last edited by: RideEverything on March 22, 2023, 5:30 p.m., edited 3 times in total.
March 22, 2023, 5:54 p.m.

I seem to have figured out how to post pictures again!

2019 Kona HonzoST XL

RSD Boost 510 fork

Carbon knockoff Corner Bar 640mm

Tektro Orion knockoff 4 pot brakes with 180mm rotors F/R

I fully bought into bikepacking and got all the stuff!

March 23, 2023, 2:55 a.m.

Very nice!!

March 23, 2023, 4:41 a.m.

Looks well fast.

I bet the bars weigh a whole lot less than the Surly equivalents.

March 26, 2023, 5:12 p.m.

Looks well fast.

I bet the bars weigh a whole lot less than the Surly equivalents.

It is surprisingly fast!

I need the go up a size or two in chainring. I've only ridden on paved surfaces so far as commuter so I may not need to go to much bigger in chainring for slogging up fsr's.

The bars do have a lot more flex than anything I've ridden before. It is mildly worrying.