MTB frame for BMX Cruiser?

Oct. 17, 2007, 5:25 p.m.

This year I decided to join both my niece [HTML_REMOVED] nephew (7[HTML_REMOVED]9yrs) and race BMX. I entered Cruiser (24" wheels) and raced a free agent ambush 24. I did really well this year and did it on a bike way too small for me. So now that the season is over I am going to replace it with a bike that is taller and longer. So this brings me to my question.

Has anyone used a MTB frame built fully rigid with 24" wheels and how did it ride? include geometry, weight and specs if you can. Thanks for all your help bro's. :beer:

Oct. 17, 2007, 6:39 p.m.

This year I decided to join both my niece [HTML_REMOVED] nephew (7[HTML_REMOVED]9yrs) and race BMX. I entered Cruiser (24" wheels) and raced a free agent ambush 24. I did really well this year and did it on a bike way too small for me. So now that the season is over I am going to replace it with a bike that is taller and longer. So this brings me to my question.

Has anyone used a MTB frame built fully rigid with 24" wheels and how did it ride? include geometry, weight and specs if you can. Thanks for all your help bro's. :beer:

I ride street and park (badly) on a rigid .243 FR with 26" wheels, and I find it too long, and too heavy as well.

The problem is that MTB frames are designed around suspension forks, with slack geometry to compensate for the head angle steepening up under fork compression. You can play around with axle-crown measurements and see how various rigid forks are going to affect your head angle, though. I'm running the shortest fork I could find, and it's actually pretty techy up front. Remember, for every three inches of fork height you lose from the axle-crown measurement the frame was designed with, it's also going to lower your BB height by roughly an inch.

Mighty Riders
On The Rivet Cyclewear
Vallie Components
Novex Clean Delivery Solutions

Oct. 17, 2007, 7:36 p.m.

I ride street and park (badly) on a rigid .243 FR with 26" wheels, and I find it too long, and too heavy as well.

The problem is that MTB frames are designed around suspension forks, with slack geometry to compensate for the head angle steepening up under fork compression. You can play around with axle-crown measurements and see how various rigid forks are going to affect your head angle, though. I'm running the shortest fork I could find, and it's actually pretty techy up front. Remember, for every three inches of fork height you lose from the axle-crown measurement the frame was designed with, it's also going to lower your BB height by roughly an inch.

The axle-crown height was the main issue I was thinking, but you can get height correction rigid forks.

What is the typical weight of an aluminum frame? (p.3, ect…)

Oct. 17, 2007, 8:03 p.m.

I raced a DMR for 3 years up till the end of this year when I got a Supercross Cromo frame. The DMR had a 16.5" chainstay length and the Supercross can go as little as 15.5" . This measurement alone I have found makes a huge difference for acceleration out of corners and the gate, and manualing your way through the rhythm section. I liked the stability of the DMR in the air but after 3 races on the Supercross I didn't notice the tight geometry anymore. The frame weights are about 1lb difference but it feels like alot at first try. The other big adjustment was the steep head angle of the Supercross. I went from 71 to 74. Once again it felt sketchy for about three races and then it wasn't an issue.

See if you can get your hands on a xxl cruiser frame with a longer top tube if you need a bigger bike. The short CS is a BIG help compared to MTB frames. The only MTB fram I would consider racing is the Black MArket MOB because of the short chainstays but its Top tube probably isn't any longer than your Free Agents.

That being said, I happily raced my DMR and didn't really like full on race bikes until I had spent a few years back racing and then I knew I was at a disadvantage racing a MTBMX frame.

"May a commune of gay, Marxist Muslim illegal immigrants use your tax dollars to open a drive-thru abortion clinic in your church."

Oct. 17, 2007, 9:02 p.m.

I have one of these that's just sitting at my house, it's really light, and has awesome MTX geo. You could have it cheap…

http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/1544284/

Is there a Vancouver in Taiwan?! I had no idea!!

Nothing sums up my life's achievements like my stuffed corpse, suplexing a cougar.

Oct. 18, 2007, 8:15 a.m.

The axle-crown height was the main issue I was thinking, but you can get height correction rigid forks.

What is the typical weight of an aluminum frame? (p.3, ect…)

5+ lbs

"May a commune of gay, Marxist Muslim illegal immigrants use your tax dollars to open a drive-thru abortion clinic in your church."

Oct. 18, 2007, 1:42 p.m.

I raced a DMR for 3 years up till the end of this year when I got a Supercross Cromo frame. The DMR had a 16.5" chainstay length and the Supercross can go as little as 15.5" . This measurement alone I have found makes a huge difference for acceleration out of corners and the gate, and manualing your way through the rhythm section. I liked the stability of the DMR in the air but after 3 races on the Supercross I didn't notice the tight geometry anymore. The frame weights are about 1lb difference but it feels like alot at first try. The other big adjustment was the steep head angle of the Supercross. I went from 71 to 74. Once again it felt sketchy for about three races and then it wasn't an issue.

See if you can get your hands on a xxl cruiser frame with a longer top tube if you need a bigger bike. The short CS is a BIG help compared to MTB frames. The only MTB fram I would consider racing is the Black MArket MOB because of the short chainstays but its Top tube probably isn't any longer than your Free Agents.

That being said, I happily raced my DMR and didn't really like full on race bikes until I had spent a few years back racing and then I knew I was at a disadvantage racing a MTBMX frame.

Thanks for the info. I would like to try a xxl cruiser si maybe I will hunt around and see how it feels. I want to keep a steep HA on my bike, hmmm anyone else got any opinions on this?

Oct. 18, 2007, 8:54 p.m.

http://www.staatsbikes.com/Default.aspx?tabid=840

22" TT and 15.75" CS. That may give you some more room.

http://www.crupibmx.com/frame_proxl_cruiser.htm

22.5" TT and 14.75-16" CS. Both roomy and short in the rear.

Oct. 18, 2007, 9:57 p.m.

http://www.dobermannbikes.com/en/framespinscher.html

Comes in 22.5 or 21.5 toptube. Has something like a 14.75inch chainstay this year. Might fit the bill.

Canadian as well.