MRP Bartlett Reviews and Experiences

Aug. 2, 2019, 10:25 a.m.

I have been able to find zero reviews or write ups of people's personal experiences with the MRP Bartlett dual crown "enduro / freeride' fork anywhere on the internet. Is there anyone here who is running one of these and can say what they think about it?

Also, what is involved in mounting these in a normal head tube designed for a standard single crown fork with a tapered steerer? What type of headset would I need?

As per this thread (https://nsmb.com/forum/forum/gear-4/topic/any-options-to-stiffen-the-steerer-tube-on-a-fox-36-fork-131197/) , I'm currently running a 2019 Fox 36 Grip2 29er fork at 170mm travel on my bike and really love the damper and air spring but don't love the amount of flex I get, especially over rough terrain at high speed or when using the front brake on steep downhill sections. (I am a heavy guy and I love to plow through stuff so I'm definitely a fork designers worst nightmare).  The Bartlett seems to be a good option to correct this but it's a LOT of cash to put down on a new fork without any independent information or reviews.

Aug. 2, 2019, 10:40 a.m.

My understanding is the Bartlett is a dual crown Ribbon. It’s a shame about the 51mm offset as I was considering it. Surprised no one on mtbr suspension forum has a ride/review of the fork. 

It does use a BOOST 15 front axle. Other option if you hate having money is the Öhlins dual crown. Order down to 46mm offset and travel starts at 150mm up to 200mm. It goes BOOST 20 though ¯\(ツ)

Aug. 2, 2019, 12:16 p.m.

Posted by: Xorrox

I have been able to find zero reviews or write ups of people's personal experiences with the MRP Bartlett dual crown "enduro / freeride' fork anywhere on the internet. Is there anyone here who is running one of these and can say what they think about it?

Also, what is involved in mounting these in a normal head tube designed for a standard single crown fork with a tapered steerer? What type of headset would I need?

As per this thread (https://nsmb.com/forum/forum/gear-4/topic/any-options-to-stiffen-the-steerer-tube-on-a-fox-36-fork-131197/) , I'm currently running a 2019 Fox 36 Grip2 29er fork at 170mm travel on my bike and really love the damper and air spring but don't love the amount of flex I get, especially over rough terrain at high speed or when using the front brake on steep downhill sections. (I am a heavy guy and I love to plow through stuff so I'm definitely a fork designers worst nightmare).  The Bartlett seems to be a good option to correct this but it's a LOT of cash to put down on a new fork without any independent information or reviews.

Headset - probably just a reducing crown race for your existing headset. If not - check out FSA - they'll have a headset that is for a tapered (44/56 or whatever) frame that uses a reducing crown race.

I don't think that reduced offset is as big a deal as it is made out to be.

Aug. 2, 2019, 1:27 p.m.

Posted by: Endur-Bro

My understanding is the Bartlett is a dual crown Ribbon. It’s a shame about the 51mm offset as I was considering it. Surprised no one on mtbr suspension forum has a ride/review of the fork. 

It does use a BOOST 15 front axle. Other option if you hate having money is the Öhlins dual crown. Order down to 46mm offset and travel starts at 150mm up to 200mm. It goes BOOST 20 though ¯_(ツ)_/¯

I think you are correct about the damper being the same as the Ribbon but the air spring is at least slightly different (maybe due to the longer stanchions?) in that it takes volume reducing spacers as well as the ramp control cartridge. (That is good in my books because the ramp control cartridge seems like an odd idea to me: why would you want a speed sensitive air spring that resists fast movement but not slow?   That just sounds like a fork that would not feel very supportive during weight shifts and braking.)

Aug. 2, 2019, 2:27 p.m.

It looks like Burns Bike Parts (https://www.instagram.com/p/BzdH3Z0H6WL/) will CNC custom crowns for the boxxer, dorado, Onyx DC, and 40. That would allow you to get anything you want with a 46mm offset.

Aug. 2, 2019, 7:53 p.m.

Posted by: Cheez1ts

It looks like Burns Bike Parts (https://www.instagram.com/p/BzdH3Z0H6WL/) will CNC custom crowns for the boxxer, dorado, Onyx DC, and 40. That would allow you to get anything you want with a 46mm offset.

I find many of these fork upgrades cost prohibitive. Anything approaching $500 and you may as well sell your fork, throw in that $500 and get the right product (presuming it actually exists).

Sept. 4, 2019, 12:33 a.m.

(spam removed)

Last edited by: [email protected] on May 28, 2020, 12:20 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
May 27, 2020, 7:14 p.m.

I bought a MRP Bartlett earlier this year. Overall very disappointing fork. 

Recommended air settings are way out. I ended up with 90psi in pos, 95-100 in neg. that’s 30psi less than chart to get sag and avoid it being very hard. NZ distributor even confirmed similar on his. 

Dampener doesn’t seem to be able to react to bumps, hits fast enough, even with no compression dampening. Loses traction easily in corners. 

Compression knob does little until turned right round, then fork becomes unusable - nothing there for first bit of travel then hard loud clonking as if the dampener is a bit of wood floating inside the leg, bottoming out violently at every move. Something seriously wrong with it from new or just plain crap.  

Switched back to my old RS Lyrik - much better. Hope I can get a refund or something .....

May 28, 2020, 8:14 a.m.

Fox 38?

May 28, 2020, 10:58 a.m.

Posted by: Kenny

Fox 38?

Already heard a particular user have gone through 3 CSU's....  high speed compression is also non existent.  Vorsprung has a comprehensive breakdown of the fork.  Boxxer at 180mm is the best option right now but it needs a lot of work to make it work...  like 9 tokens.  Hoping the new 38mm RS is better than the other options.

May 28, 2020, 11:07 a.m.

Posted by: LoamtoHome

Posted by: Kenny

Fox 38?

Already heard a particular user have gone through 3 CSU's....  high speed compression is also non existent.  Vorsprung has a comprehensive breakdown of the fork.  Boxxer at 180mm is the best option right now but it needs a lot of work to make it work...  like 9 tokens.  Hoping the new 38mm RS is better than the other options.

How about the Manitou Mezzer option. 37mm stanchions.

May 28, 2020, 11:31 a.m.

MODO welcome aboard my man, thanks for the solid content.

Although your experience does contradict the esteemed Patrick6 a couple of posts above you.

May 28, 2020, 12:22 p.m.

Posted by: Hepcat

Although your experience does contradict the esteemed Patrick6 a couple of posts above you.

Spam post removed, Patrick6 must have slipped through the filter 🙄

May 28, 2020, 3:04 p.m.

I have put very little thought into if this, but is this what would go into it?

• Buy a boxxer with desired offset (-$$$)

• Find a worn stanchion from one of the 2010+ boxxer models, you'll be sticking it 20mm deeper into the lowers anyway so the wear won't matter (-$)

• Find an air spring assembly from a Yari/Lyric (prevents you from needing to add any spacers below your boxxer's air spring) (-$)

• Drill a hole in the yari/lyric air spring (now it's not an air spring).

• Get a coil spring from the 2010+ Boxxers (-$)

• Assemble the coil and drilled air spring in your worn stanction
  • Put that in your fork and drop your damper to match height

• Keep your original stanchion and air spring to re-assemble it correctly later for resale (+$$$)

Please do not use these as directions.

June 2, 2020, 9:29 a.m.

Posted by: Cheez1ts

I have put very little thought into if this, but is this what would go into it?

• Buy a boxxer with desired offset (-$$$)

• Find a worn stanchion from one of the 2010+ boxxer models, you'll be sticking it 20mm deeper into the lowers anyway so the wear won't matter (-$)

• Find an air spring assembly from a Yari/Lyric (prevents you from needing to add any spacers below your boxxer's air spring) (-$)

• Drill a hole in the yari/lyric air spring (now it's not an air spring).

• Get a coil spring from the 2010+ Boxxers (-$)

• Assemble the coil and drilled air spring in your worn stanction

• Put that in your fork and drop your damper to match height

• Keep your original stanchion and air spring to re-assemble it correctly later for resale (+$$$)

Please do not use these as directions.

These are some seriously crazy thoughts on how to get a 180mm travel Boxxer! It's WAY easier than this. Here are the steps I took:

-Buy any air-sprung Boxxer 2019 or newer (I HIGHLY recommend getting one with the Charger 2.1 damper).

-Buy and install 180mm travel Debonair spring kit (it's cheap - like $60 and easy to install).

-Aaaaaand, you're done.

As stated above, I found getting the air spring right was a bit challenging. I'm not exactly sure why - I think when you drop the travel it does funny things to the air chamber volumes. Keep in mind that the Boxxer is ideally suited to a DH bike at 200mm travel, so getting it to work on an enduro bike at 180mm travel requires some tinkering. I experimented quite a bit, but have settled on 122psi with 9 tokens. This gives me fairly supple initial stroke with plenty of ramp-up and support. I'm running one click of HSC and quite a bit of LSC.

I'm really happy with the fork - only drawback I have found is that it's challenging to get a Boxxer-equipped trail bike into a North Shore car rack. Before I decided on the Boxxer, I briefly considered the Bartlett. Seeing the comments above, I'm glad I didn't go there.