Mountain Bike Books

Aug. 29, 2003, 8:51 p.m.

I'm looking for books which cover the following two topics:

1) modern mountain bike maintenance and repair
2) mountain biking techniques

I know I could probably find everything online but I want a quick reference. Any suggestions?

Aug. 29, 2003, 9:20 p.m.

Go down to MEC, they probably have the best selection of MTB-related books that I have seen in one place. I'm not aware of any good books that concentrate on both repair and riding technique, so be prepared to buy one of each.

Personally, I have the Zinn book and find it useful. The Barrett's book is also highly regarded for the repair side of things.

"The song of a bird…We used to ask Ennesson to do bird calls. He could do them. How he could do them, and when he perished, along with him went all those birds…"-Return from the Stars, Stanislaw Lem

"We just walk around, and sometimes we go out and dance, and then we listen to the environment."-Ralf Hutter, Kraftwerk

Aug. 29, 2003, 9:29 p.m.

i think talking to people would be easier than reading books

Aug. 29, 2003, 9:31 p.m.

Alright, I have a question. How to install a headset? Do you need any special tools or just push them in with hands?

Aug. 29, 2003, 9:38 p.m.

Originally posted by sanrensho
**Go down to MEC, they probably have the best selection of MTB-related books that I have seen in one place. I'm not aware of any good books that concentrate on both repair and riding technique, so be prepared to buy one of each.

Personally, I have the Zinn book and find it useful. The Barrett's book is also highly regarded for the repair side of things. **

Which store is MEC and where is it?

Aug. 29, 2003, 9:39 p.m.

Originally posted by rydogg
i think talking to people would be easier than reading books

Unfortunately, I don't know anyone who is sufficiently knowledgeable on bikes.

Aug. 29, 2003, 9:42 p.m.

Originally posted by sanrensho
**Go down to MEC, they probably have the best selection of MTB-related books that I have seen in one place. I'm not aware of any good books that concentrate on both repair and riding technique, so be prepared to buy one of each.

Personally, I have the Zinn book and find it useful. The Barrett's book is also highly regarded for the repair side of things. **

I've heard about the Zinn book. Does it cover modern components like suspension forks and disc brakes?

Aug. 29, 2003, 9:42 p.m.

I saw DK - Complete Bike Book at Chatpers last week. It's pretty good, and is up to date. It has coloured pictures and everything. But I don't think it has anything about biking techniques in there. $40. CND as I remembered.

Aug. 29, 2003, 9:46 p.m.

Originally posted by math314
Which store is MEC and where is it?

Mountain Equipment co-op.
130 West Broadway
V5Y 1P3
604 872 7858

Aug. 29, 2003, 9:53 p.m.

no no i meant when u are out for rides, like ask people their techniques on riding different things. try watching videos too

Aug. 29, 2003, 9:53 p.m.

Originally posted by Chakalaka Rider
Alright, I have a question. How to install a headset? Do you need any special tools or just push them in with hands?

You do need special tools. You don't want to screw up a headset install.

I saw a link once to the Park Tools website. They have a whole tech reference section that has tons of info on how to make pretty much any repairs (except fork and hydro disc repairs unfortunately - you;re best off having someone show you these first-hand anyways). Of course, the instructions all feature park tools, but who cares?

Check it out

http://www.parktool.com/repair_help/howfix_headthreadless.shtml

Good luck

Aug. 29, 2003, 10:50 p.m.

Originally posted by math314
I've heard about the Zinn book. Does it cover modern components like suspension forks and disc brakes?

Yes. However, don't expect to find the latest and greatest innovations and product developments covered in a print book. Also, you won't find a repair book that is oriented specifically for freeriders.

There's no way that a print book can keep up with the constantly updated information you can find online. It's convenient to have this type of information all in one place, and you can augment it with information found online.

"The song of a bird…We used to ask Ennesson to do bird calls. He could do them. How he could do them, and when he perished, along with him went all those birds…"-Return from the Stars, Stanislaw Lem

"We just walk around, and sometimes we go out and dance, and then we listen to the environment."-Ralf Hutter, Kraftwerk

Aug. 29, 2003, 11:07 p.m.

books don't help to much w/ riding technique, maintainence could be usefull
check LBS

"you didn't tell them about my pubes, did you?" -Garth

Aug. 30, 2003, 12:18 a.m.

Originally posted by Chakalaka Rider

I usually just push them in by hand… :D

To do it properly, it's best to use one of these:

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells