Most pedal-able knee armour?

Aug. 2, 2016, 7:41 p.m.

My thigh to calf ratio seems to differ significantly from the sizing I'm finding online for various brands, so I need to try some of these on to check fit. RF, iXS and Fox seem easy to find. Who carries Dakine or Dainese pads locally?

Aug. 3, 2016, 11:03 a.m.

I think I posted earlier in the thread but I had a pair of Race Face Indy's that fell apart in under a year (the backing fabric had tons of holes even though I was careful putting them on and only crashed once). I didn't like them as they slipped down and only provided minimal protection.

RF warrantied them and I decided to pay the difference to upgrade to Ambush. I keep them in my pack on the long first climb of the day and then just put them around my ankles on subsequent climbs (although for short climbs I don't mind having them on my knees). They provide a lot better protection and taking them on/off without removing shoes is nice. I use them in the bike park as well and they never slip down. I have big thighs and the XL fit well without any chaffing.

Aug. 4, 2016, 2:01 p.m.

I think I posted earlier in the thread but I had a pair of Race Face Indy's that fell apart in under a year (the backing fabric had tons of holes even though I was careful putting them on and only crashed once). I didn't like them as they slipped down and only provided minimal protection.

RF warrantied them and I decided to pay the difference to upgrade to Ambush. I keep them in my pack on the long first climb of the day and then just put them around my ankles on subsequent climbs (although for short climbs I don't mind having them on my knees). They provide a lot better protection and taking them on/off without removing shoes is nice. I use them in the bike park as well and they never slip down. I have big thighs and the XL fit well without any chaffing.

This is good to know. I have been thinking about the Ambush. They're pretty pricey compared to my Indy's but protection wise they're in line with my Kyle Straits…and I can take them on/off more easily. Sounds like the sizing makes more sense too. I am fairly slim and am on the XL with the INdy's. I'm probably an M or an L in the Ambush.

Wrong. Always.

Aug. 4, 2016, 6:11 p.m.

While we're on the topic here…

Just got my wife a killer new steed and she loves it. She's petite, 5'4" but super athletic and in awesome shape. Sports some gorgeous legs too (no pics, fawgettabadit!! LOL).

Wait… Drifted for a second there, forgot what I was posting. OH, RIGHT… Okay, so anyone out there know of decent shin/knee protection combos/brands that are good for chicks?? She's kinda leaning towards the G-Force slip-ons - anyone out there assist their betties with the fitment and function of good protection without added weight, bulk or discomfort??

Hit me up PM not to clutter the board. Or post it here, care not - I just get a sense this is a pretty manly forum so manly things take precedent over asking about womens wear :cougar:

Peace Homies
Dirtier Than You Can Imagine, Le Sanch

Been using g form pads for years. First pair lasted 3 years before the stiching pulled out. Mostly from pulling them on. Size large was a bit small, second pair is xl and much better for my chicken legs.

They are very comfortable, wear them sledding ,sking touring xc….. put em on and forget about them.

Aug. 5, 2016, 10:32 p.m.

http://7protection.com/product/transition-wrap-knee/

buddy of mine swagged me up with a pair of these knee pads and I have been out on 2 rides with them and I like them a lot , got around 800m of climbing with them on and I forget they are there truthfully , did a quick lap to-nite and they where not stupidly hot to wear . They have a few other versions as well I may look into as all my pads are beat after several seasons of abuse .

#northsidetrailbuilders

Aug. 5, 2016, 11:11 p.m.

Somebody mentioned IXS Flows already? I'm too lazy to read any other post besides my own.

As far as pedallable knee armor that you won't notice even in smokin' hot weather that doesn't slide down this one wins.

It also gets all stretched out and destroyed after a while. But it's a pretty good long while. Why are pad manufacturers still using $#@[HTML_REMOVED]ing elastic straps after all these years?

https://nsmba.ca/product-category/memberships/

Aug. 6, 2016, 9:03 p.m.

I think I posted earlier in the thread but I had a pair of Race Face Indy's that fell apart in under a year

Sales guy at Obsession today said the RF Indy's had about a 90% failure rate, but RF was good with the warranty.

Been using g form pads for years. First pair lasted 3 years before the stiching pulled out. Mostly from pulling them on. Size large was a bit small, second pair is xl and much better for my chicken legs.

They are very comfortable, wear them sledding ,sking touring xc….. put em on and forget about them.

My wife is looking to try on some G-Form pads. Does anyone know a shop that carries them in the GVRD/Squamish/Whistler?

Aug. 7, 2016, 1:33 p.m.

Bump. Yeah where? And I gotta pair of of Indys size L worn twice first $40 takes……

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.

Aug. 22, 2016, 6:44 p.m.

My wife is looking to try on some G-Form pads. Does anyone know a shop that carries them in the GVRD/Squamish/Whistler?

Bump. Yeah where? And I gotta pair of of Indys size L worn twice first $40 takes……

FYI, Kinetic Cycles in Coquitlam carries G-Form pads. Apparently Different Bikes does too, but we never made it out there.

Damn expensive though.

Aug. 22, 2016, 7:56 p.m.

Thank you.

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.

Aug. 22, 2016, 9:47 p.m.

I ended up ordering some for my wife from CRC. Bike Co., Summit, Tantalus - I've heard they all carry G-Form, but they were slim on inventory. Going rate for knee/shin was $190 for any of the shops, CRC was $123 plus a $10 discount for some random incentive bonus thingy. $113 plus I ordered a whack of other business - we'll see if we get hit up by Zed and the Gimp, so far, 2 aces in the hole - fingers crossed for 3.

Filthier than when yer parents made you…
Le Dirty

"I'm addicted to surfing."

Aug. 23, 2016, 7:37 a.m.

I ended up ordering some for my wife from CRC. Bike Co., Summit, Tantalus - I've heard they all carry G-Form, but they were slim on inventory. Going rate for knee/shin was $190 for any of the shops

wow, Kinetic was $144 for the knee/shin, so good for them. Still too much for a lightweight kneepad though. Will be checking out different brands.

Aug. 23, 2016, 7:59 a.m.

"Sales guy at Obsession today said the RF Indy's had about a 90% failure rate, but RF was good with the warranty."

RF soft goods are all crap, has to be the worst quality I have ever seen.
Will not be buying anything from them again except bike parts.
So far the Dekine Slayer pads have been bomb proof. Worn 3 times a week since April, haven't broke down at all.

People always ask me what's the phenomenon
Yo what's up? Yo what's goin' on- Adam Yauch

Aug. 23, 2016, 9:31 a.m.

G-Form pads are currently 25% off at SportChek. https://www.sportchek.ca/search.html#q=g-form

Yuho Sports also has them at what look like good (for G-Form) prices. http://www.yuhosports.com/?product_cat=knee-pads

Aug. 25, 2016, 1:03 p.m.

G-Form pads are currently 25% off at SportChek. https://www.sportchek.ca/search.html#q=g-form

Thanks man. :beer:
They're in transit from Brampton as I type.
Won't here 'till the middle of next wk though…. :crybaby: