Most pedal-able knee armour?

July 3, 2015, 8:06 p.m.

I tried on poc vpd 2.0s and they felt comfy on the calves and upper leg but the area around the knees felt kind of roomy.

Any input if this normal? I liked how they felt.

Mine are a tiny bit loose at the upper strap but I just snugged them up and they've been great. I really like these pads. I've only taken one big hit on them and they stayed in place and saved me. I don't trust the lycra-based pads to stay in place when I really really need them. The POCs are a great compromise. Good protection (enough around the sides and they go low enough below the knee) and flexible/breathable enough to leave them on for the climb too. Worth the extra bucks.

There's nothing better than an Orangina after cheating death with Digger.

July 3, 2015, 9:29 p.m.

I use POC VPD 1.0 although I find on a real pedal ride I raw dog the knees.

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

July 5, 2015, 3:11 a.m.

RF Ambush here. Tried the Indys but they were too tight in the calf and the bottom of the gel pad would scrape into my shins over time. Ambush is fine to wear but gets hot on longer days so I often drop or take them on for long climbs (shoes stay on).

July 5, 2015, 8:37 a.m.

I bought the POC air knee pads a couple of months ago from my LBS. I love the fit of them - super easy to slide on and off. I typically put them on at the top of my first lap and the leave them on for the next climb and don't even notice them.

The coverage for the POC is better than the RF ambush for me as it is much wider over the top of the knee.

Before yesterday I had a couple of minor crashes that they performed well. Yesterday when I went otb I landed on a rock. Pad saved me on the impact, but then slid down so I skinned my knee. Would be nice if the outside fabric wasn't so grippy. Not sure how you get around that without going to a plastic cap.

Maybe I should try wearing them a bit higher on my knees.

s.

July 7, 2015, 4:34 p.m.

So I tried on some size L Indy's. Not bad but they're quite snug (the velcro at the top could hardly be done up) and I'm a skinny 170 lb 6 ft human. Apparently I've got bigger legs than I thought. Anyway some concerns…no side padding. I am ALWAYS having a spaz-style off where I smoke the inside of my knee on the frame. But the knee cap itself is nicely covered so I'm probably fine. The other thing I noticed is the knee protector itself feels weird when I'm moving bending/straightening my legs. Does anyone else notice this when they're pedalling? Does the pad eventually conform? I think I expected teh Indy's feel a lot more cool and out of the way considering they don't have a hell of a lot of protection but they don't feel significantly better than my Kyle Straights. Likely a bit cooler, and I guess that's all I can ask for. But they sure don't have protection even remotely similar to the Kyle Straights.

As for the Ambush…they're too bulky. I think they're bulkier than the Kyle Straits.

I will probably go with Indy's…they're not insanely expensive and I think they will be close enough to what I need. But I have to ask, what's like the Indy's but with a little more protection and a bit more ventilation, less tightness?

Maybe I should try the XL's but if my legs are XL's what the hell do people with normal size legs wear? XXXL?
:|

Wrong. Always.

Sept. 13, 2015, 6:23 a.m.

Tried the VPD 1.0 on in Are, Sweden, this summer. Others on sale were Sweetprotection bear suit and their lighter version, Race Face Ambush, Scott and VPD 2.0

Of all the pads I liked the 1.0 the most, and have not looked back since. Actually I always wear them when I go riding - unless my son and wife come along.

So comfy when pedalling and not too bulky and hot. Well spent money.

"You don't learn from experience. You learn from reflecting on the experience."
- Kristen Ulmer

Sept. 16, 2015, 4:47 p.m.

http://products.ixs-sportsdivision.com/en/mtb-gravity-selection/lower-body-armour/ixs-flow-kniepad.html

looks good as well.

Been using these last couple months. I'd recommend them. Minimalist but then I use them about every ride, where I'd normally use nothing. I still have the heavier pads for riskier days. Pads don't slide down, stay cool- and I've used them in 30°+ humid weather. Mesh back, silicone gripper on top, elastic strap on bottom. Fit is pretty tight, if you've got tree trunks maybe size up.

https://nsmba.ca/product-category/memberships/

Sept. 16, 2015, 6:03 p.m.

"size L Indy's. Not bad but they're quite snug - Fit is pretty tight"

Yeah who/what do they use as an anatomical model anyways?
I can barely top velcro my size L Indy's. :stupid:

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.

Sept. 16, 2015, 6:08 p.m.

I went with xl Indy knees. Not bad. Not sure what somebody with muscle legs would do Xxxxxl!?

Wrong. Always.

Sept. 16, 2015, 8:02 p.m.

"size L Indy's. Not bad but they're quite snug - Fit is pretty tight"

Yeah who/what do they use as an anatomical model anyways?
I can barely top velcro my size L Indy's. :stupid:

I agree! Their shorts cut is ridiculous too.

Aug. 1, 2016, 11:23 a.m.

I think the OP is looking for pedally pads for pedally rides for riding lower seymour trails like a krazy man. but no too krazy.

This is me, but substitute "newb" for "krazy man".

I'm looking at the RF Charge, or maybe the IXS Flow or Hack Evo (I like the idea of having at least one adjustable strap to keep things in place), to prevent the scrapes and cuts that my knees have been accumulating as I move alone the learning curve.

I've noticed that a few online shops specifically mention they have "Charge 2016", which I assume means there was a design change this year. Does anyone know if that is true, or what the changes (hopefully improvements) were? For those who have Charges, how have they been holding up?

Aug. 1, 2016, 12:26 p.m.

I have been isn't ixs. Carve pads for three years. Great pads super comfy and stay put.
I just retired them and replaced them with troylee raid. Knee pads.
The troylee are more svelt but have more protection in places that the carve did not .
The raid pads are very comfortable …

Aug. 1, 2016, 8:19 p.m.

GT, did you have your robot type that in or what?!

Aug. 1, 2016, 10:38 p.m.

I had the RF Indys and slowly destroyed them over about a year and a half. They weren't bad but the fabric around the actual pad wasn't beefy enough. Now using Dakine Slayer pads. Better fit and beefier fabric. But I've had to hand sew a seam together again. But overall tougher than the Indys.

Have to say I am not impressed with the durabilty of any of the MTB apparel brands i have tried. Gloves seams, short seams, pad seams etc. The sewing just isn't up to the task. Roach needs to come back or if they are going to charge $100 bucks for a pair of shorts I better not have to sew it back together again in half a season.

vegetarian: an ancient word for "likes to stay home with the ladies…"

Aug. 1, 2016, 11:17 p.m.

Anyone try the 7ipd pads yet?

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.