Most pedal-able knee armour?

Oct. 1, 2014, 6:56 a.m.

Where did you buy? Any idea how sizing compares to race face knees (usually wear a large)?

I ordered them from a Moto site in the UK. At the time it was the only place that had them. I'm pretty much a medium all day long and these pads were no different. Interesting fit: The straps fit snug, but there is some space between the kneecap and the pad. I stuffed one in the ground pretty good a few days ago and it did it's job.

Oct. 1, 2014, 11:04 a.m.

I talked to the G-Form people at C-worx and there is no Canadian distributor right now but they are working on it. I think you have to order it from their site. I am interested in their body Armour as well.

I hear really good things about the IXS Dagger, may pick up a set if I can find any in Vic.

My RF flanks have slid down in two crashes, they take the initial impact (thank god) but then get caught when sliding along and I have had a few good scrapes because of it. I think this happens because the cloth cover, where plastic can slide better cloth has more friction and more chance to get caught and pulled down.

Oct. 1, 2014, 11:29 a.m.

I'd likely order a set of knees for my dad and maybe for myself as well. I looked at the crash pad boxers as well for bike park and snowboarding/skiing. Just not into playing the return game. Looks like RaceFace makes something similar, as well as the Dianese pads, plus a plastic capped version.

Im looking at getting a set of 7P knees once they are available in Canada. The high end ones have a plastic knee and BOA closure, Dainese is starting to use BOA as well. Be good in the bike park where the POC VPD knees cloth will grab at speed, and the VPD 2.0 pads don't fit the same.

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

Oct. 1, 2014, 11:32 a.m.

I've been using the Fox Launch knee pads (no shin guard) for about a year and the only complaint i have is that you have to take your shoes off to put them on and take them off.

bailed right on my knee onto a rock and felt nothing, so felt they paid for themselves right there. i wear them climbing old buck/fromme and forget they are even there.

i'm coming from race face full leg hard shells, so it's a nice change

Oct. 1, 2014, 2:50 p.m.

Anyone try the Race Face Digs? I like the price and that you don't need to take your shoes off to put them on. How are they for pedalling tho? Fit under 3/4 length manpreees? Comfy and sizing makes sense? The loook is a bit brotard for me but I've seen worse.

Wrong. Always.

Oct. 1, 2014, 3:02 p.m.

This light pad round-up by MTBR might help you:

http://reviews.mtbr.com/round-up-best-new-lightweight-knee-and-elbow-pads

The new Leatt pads look promising

"I know that heroes ride bicycles" - Joe Biden

July 3, 2015, 9:21 a.m.

Any updates on this? I'm a bit tired of carrying the Kyle Straits in (strapped on the outside actually) the pack just to put on for some of the scarier descents. I am still thinking about getting the Race Face Indies (despite some mixed reviews regarding fit and ruggedness). But those Dainese Trail Skins seem to fit the bill…but who sells them locally? I don't want to buy something online without trying them on first.

Wrong. Always.

July 3, 2015, 9:59 a.m.

having the same old issues as well, and my calves are disproportionately large compared to my knee. nothing is comfortable, nothing. G3 sleeves too tight top of calves, RF Ambush same, too much fabric all around. ok once the descent begins. always choking on the price of POC stuff but finally ponied up for the new POC vpd air knees based on the fit and how half my mates seem to love the heavier versions. nice and light, just the coverage i want (not long, just the knee proper and curves around to the top of the knee which i smack against the bars/stem on hard tech climbs). only one ride so far but best fit i've found. the ideal solution for me at this point.

July 3, 2015, 10:45 a.m.

dudes, switchback longboards likely has G-Form pads… I don't know why anyone is having a hard time finding them, I know tons of people with them and who bought them from various LBS or Local skateboard shops (depending on their usage).
I've got unused G form Knee/Shin combos that don't fit me very well, I'd be willing to sell them if you're interested - they are too big on me and would likely fit someone in the 140-160LB range better than me. Feel free to PM me or drop me an email: [email protected] $40 and they are yours

July 3, 2015, 11:44 a.m.

I tried on poc vpd 2.0s and they felt comfy on the calves and upper leg but the area around the knees felt kind of roomy.

Any input if this normal? I liked how they felt.

"You don't learn from experience. You learn from reflecting on the experience."
- Kristen Ulmer

July 3, 2015, 12:02 p.m.

i like the Indy by RaceFACE i use their elbow pads as well

#northsidetrailbuilders

July 3, 2015, 12:59 p.m.

having the same old issues as well, and my calves are disproportionately large compared to my knee. nothing is comfortable, nothing. G3 sleeves too tight top of calves, RF Ambush same, too much fabric all around. ok once the descent begins. always choking on the price of POC stuff but finally ponied up for the new POC vpd air knees based on the fit and how half my mates seem to love the heavier versions. nice and light, just the coverage i want (not long, just the knee proper and curves around to the top of the knee which i smack against the bars/stem on hard tech climbs). only one ride so far but best fit i've found. the ideal solution for me at this point.

Over here it's 119€ for the vpd 2.0. I have a hard time shelling out that much when the competition is cheaper.

For park I still use the RF Indy I bought in 2007. For technical trails that may include pedalling. ..well…as of yet I could not bring myself to spending so much money.

- Kristen Ulmer

July 3, 2015, 1:06 p.m.

Over here it's 119€ for the vpd 2.0. I have a hard time shelling out that much when the competition is cheaper.

For park I still use the RF Indy I bought in 2007. For technical trails that may include pedalling. ..well…as of yet I could not bring myself to spending so much money.

- Kristen Ulmer

July 3, 2015, 3:02 p.m.

I have been using ixs flow pads on lots of long hot rides lately and been happy. Only complaint is they are not great standing+walking, shift a bit on me, maybe due to them being designed for a flexed knee not a straight one or something. But nothing to complain about while riding.

July 3, 2015, 4:51 p.m.

Lacrosse Goalie gear. That's the ticket.
:|

Wrong. Always.