Most pedal-able knee armour?

March 17, 2014, 11:56 a.m.

What'r you usin'?

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.

March 17, 2014, noon

RaceFace Dig

March 17, 2014, 12:14 p.m.

The new Raceface Indy knee pads look good in terms being pedal friendly yet still provide real protection. Has anyone tried these? Also looking to buy pedallable knee protection in the near future.

March 17, 2014, 12:25 p.m.

I'm not using them but did you see Morgan's review here?
http://www.nsmb.com/race-face-charge-leg-reviewed/

March 17, 2014, 2:01 p.m.

POC Joint 2.0

This trip to Kelowna was definately an undertaking - Liam and I had been planning this project for 24 hours. We worked really hard to pull out all the stops in this video. We had slo-mo goggle shots; time lapses; pedal flips; outrageous product shots; unloading and loading the bike; walking through the field with your hand in wheat. At the end of the day this trip was all about just getting out and riding with all my friends.

www.letsridebikes.ca

March 17, 2014, 2:10 p.m.

The new Raceface Indy knee pads look good in terms being pedal friendly yet still provide real protection. Has anyone tried these? Also looking to buy pedallable knee protection in the near future.

Ya me too. They look like a good compromise. I have some Flanks which offered a lot of protection but were a bit bulky over the knee.

I like the look of these over the RFs because they offer a bit more protection below the knee cap. But I haven't tried them. http://www.ion-products.com/bike/men/protection/k-sleeve/

There's nothing better than an Orangina after cheating death with Digger.

March 17, 2014, 2:17 p.m.

I'm not using them but did you see Morgan's review here?
http://www.nsmb.com/race-face-charge-leg-reviewed/

The Charge and Indy are different pads. The Indy has some D3o so will provide some impact protection, whereas the charge is more of a highly durable leg warmer that will protect against abrasion. The Indy look like the perfect pedaling knee pad on paper, can't say I have tried them though.

Dainese has a new low profile knee pad as well that looks promising.

http://m.vitalmtb.com/photos/features/2014-Mountain-Bike-Apparel-Protection-at-Eurobike-2013,6302/Dainese-Trail-Skins-Knee-Guards,62717/bturman,109

March 17, 2014, 2:30 p.m.

I bought a pair of the Indy's today and went for a ride in them. No crashes of note yet but initially impressed. Stay in place very very well. I went for a 2 hour xc ride and found them very comfortable. Also like that they go lower on the shin than my previous 661 pads. I put a nice hole in my shin this spring and these pads would have prevented that. Don't feel up to really hard impacts but overall look good for general AM riding.

vegetarian: an ancient word for "likes to stay home with the ladies…"

March 17, 2014, 2:52 p.m.

I bought a pair of the Indy's today and went for a ride in them. No crashes of note yet but initially impressed. Stay in place very very well. I went for a 2 hour xc ride and found them very comfortable. Also like that they go lower on the shin than my previous 661 pads. I put a nice hole in my shin this spring and these pads would have prevented that. Don't feel up to really hard impacts but overall look good for general AM riding.

Thanks for the review - sounds like exactly what I am looking for.

March 17, 2014, 8:28 p.m.

i wear RaceFace Flanks and forget they are on most of the time they fit very well

#northsidetrailbuilders

March 17, 2014, 10:06 p.m.

i have the RF charge and ambush. charge is what it is. mostly for warmth and a freak fall/abrasion. the ambush are excellent, easy to doff and don and seem very protective. if i land that hard square on the knee, i'm not going to hold any pad accountable. my fancy dam bauer shin pads in hockey haven't prevented abrasion and bruising this season, so i don't want to even test my mtn bike pads…

March 17, 2014, 10:25 p.m.

I have the charge…they are way too hot for real pedaling. If they were only as warm as regular knee warmers they would be awesome.

March 17, 2014, 11:50 p.m.

I went for a 2 hour xc ride and found them very comfortable. .

How do you reckon they'll breath in hot weather?

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.

March 18, 2014, 3:36 a.m.

still using the 661 Kyle Strait for XC rides when its too cold for bare knees. also used then many times for more aggressive riding in warm weather

never found them uncomfortable. the slightly more rigid shape of the plastic cap that is hidden inside the fabric layering seems to keep the inside of this pad away from the knee whilst pedalling

this is in contrast to the 661 d3o I also own, which I found too flexible causing rubbing on the knee(no cap inside) and hardly ever wear, when the opposite should be true according to the reasoning behind a d3o style pad?

March 18, 2014, 3:48 a.m.

Everyone over here rates the G-Form pads.

All I can say is don't get the Nukeproof ones. They're hot and one of mine has a bit that constantly digs in just below my knee. Fine on a DH day but it'd get so annoying on a longer pedally ride.