More Totem Problems, and RockShox Warranties

Aug. 31, 2007, 12:42 p.m.

robholio, check yer pm

Aug. 31, 2007, 1:27 p.m.

anyone know when '08 versions will come out and how RockShox is attempting to rectify these problems? I'm still sorta interested in the fork, but there's no way I'd buy one until all these horror stories are addressed

WTB Frequency i23 rim, 650b NEW - $40

Aug. 31, 2007, 3:46 p.m.

If they fix the problems, does anyone know when retro-fit kits will be available? Mione has been in twice for a total of 5 weeks of no riding this summer….

Aug. 31, 2007, 5:24 p.m.

That's the problem with internet… we hear all the horror stories but in reality there are a lot of totems out there that have never had a problem. I've had a totem since last September and I have run the same seals since then and only opened the fork 3 times in almost 3 years and it has never leaked. Internet is good a lot of the times people tend to makes things look a lot worse then it actually is

vaporizer wholesale

didnt know nsmb was only for pros

its not, its only for dicks.

My Flickr

Sept. 4, 2007, 2:49 a.m.

we hear all the horror stories but in reality there are a lot of totems out there that have never had a problem

I agree alot of BS gets talked about on the internet forums

however, I have personally sold a bunch of Totem forks (Coil, Air and 2-Step) to riders who frequent our shop, and every single Totem fork has broken, some multiple times

I have owned both Coil and Air and both have broken in a very short time period

I can only go by personal experience, but each of these riders I sold a Totem to, has now sold their Totem off (at a loss as riders will not pay much for an unreliable fork) after getting it warrantied, as they have totally lost confidence in Rockshox and gone back to Marzocchi or Fox…

its a real shame, as alot of people were excited by the Totem here in the UK, and were willing to give Rockshox another chance (after lots of issues with Boxxer and Pike a few years back, pre-SRAM) but the reliability of the Totem is not looking good, and once you have had a long-awaited yearly holiday to Les Gets or Whistler, ruined by a broken fork, you are not going to take the risk again?

Mythic / Da Kine / Esher Shore / Freeborn

http://hampsteadbandit.blogspot.com/

Sept. 4, 2007, 7:23 a.m.

If they fix the problems, does anyone know when retro-fit kits will be available? Mione has been in twice for a total of 5 weeks of no riding this summer….

I am wondering the same thing. My fork has been fine this year, but I would love to get the retro fit kit and avoid any future problems.

Sept. 4, 2007, 11:49 a.m.

My totem held up so well until my last day on Whistler. I was at Whistler for 12 days and it was leaking mad oil just like most of the other Totem's which seems to be a normal thing. After, what I think was the third day or so, I took it in to see if I could get a softer spring. When I took it in they said that I probably don't need one and that the problem was my mission control was gone and stuck in the harder area rather than letting me turn it all the way to the plush side. Thats one thing. Then on the 10th or so day, I look down at my left stantion, and I see something is wrong. There is about a toonie sized area right above the seal where the gold coating has been COMPLETELY rubbed off in a perfect circle. WTF? I guess it's time to send this baby in for warranty, and hopefully buy the 08 66.

Sept. 4, 2007, 1:59 p.m.

That's the problem with internet… we hear all the horror stories but in reality there are a lot of totems out there that have never had a problem. I've had a totem since last September and I have run the same seals since then and only opened the fork 3 times in almost 3 years and it has never leaked. Internet is good a lot of the times people tend to makes things look a lot worse then it actually is

I agree with that statement but, Totem's haven't been around for three years. How do you get three years in 12 months. Ride three times a day? ;)

Debate? Bikes are made for riding not pushing.

Sept. 4, 2007, 5:24 p.m.

oops! I meant 1 year.

The totems have been on the testing bench of Rock Shox for about 3 years already.

Bryce have you taken the fork apart and cleaned it at all since you've had the fork? If not that might the reason why you are seeing some wear on your stanchions. Also if your oil is leaking thru the seals then you were probably running the fork with no oil left in it which means it was dry and causes excessive heat on the bushings and no lubrication. running a fork dry is not a good idea.

cheap easy vape vaporizer

My Flickr

Sept. 4, 2007, 5:43 p.m.

ya my totem has been pretty good to me so far. i had to send it in for warranty/service one time this summer. i had to send it in because the fork began to top out quite severely and the rebound adjust did nothing. other than that i have just serviced it around once a week when im riding hard. my friend has a 2007 boxxer team and he has had the same problems as me and has also had to send it in. rock shox should include some fork oil or atleast red rum with the forks so people realize they require more frequent maintenance than other forks such as marzocchi 66.

Ben

Sept. 4, 2007, 6:19 p.m.

my totem has been doing great since i got some new seals, I have even rode at whistler, and to my suprise, minimal oil leakage, and good performance. is there any word as to whether or not rockshox has indeed fixed the totem problems, or has at least made tighter seals?

GeoffGangGang

Sept. 4, 2007, 10 p.m.

Speaking of warranty, I got my boxxer WC back w/ a new MoCo unit to fix the leaking oil from the top. After a day at Whistler it's now my oil seal that is leaking. Duh! I would have thought that RS would have replaced that too. Oh well, that I can do myself. Can't help to compare the awesome care James of OGC gave to my Sherman Breakout when it went in for the "mod". it went in once and it came out perfect!

Sept. 4, 2007, 11:18 p.m.

why would they change your seals if they are not leaking?

vaporgenie

My Flickr

Sept. 5, 2007, 1:22 a.m.

Exactly, people love to moan. If you average it out, I expect numerous times over there are a lot more happy customers. You read about all the problems people have been having with '07 66's and they are supposed to be reliable. That would echo my experiences with them last year.

My Girlfriend has a set of Totems, as do I [HTML_REMOVED] still no 'problems'. We had some leaky seals in France after a couple of weeks, but nothing major. And considering the fork hadn't been serviced in the best part of 9 months, I can't really argue. I've since taken them apart, cleaned the seals, put them back together [HTML_REMOVED] they are fine again. I'm confident they will be fine for Fort William next week after the World Champs :)

Every fork has its problems, it just so happens the Totem was hyped up for a long time before release, and it hasn't been greatly reliable. Is it any worse than anything else out there? Probably not.

Blur 4X - Sunday Factory.

Sept. 5, 2007, 6:46 a.m.

Are most of you just doing a quick lube every couple weeks or are you actually taking the fork totally apart and soing a full job?