Modern Slayer versus 2014 E29

June 25, 2019, 11:21 p.m.

Man, how du you expect to have fun on such an ugly heap of crap? You'd be better off on a Walmart bike... ;)

Congrats on your find, enjoy the ride :)

June 26, 2019, 1:42 a.m.

Love the classic DX pedals among all the bling!

June 26, 2019, 6:57 a.m.

Those DX pedals are going pronto!!! I ride crank bros and will throw some mallets on today.

June 26, 2019, 4:50 p.m.

Dam that's a sweet looking bike! I have spent some time on one and was impressed by how versatile it is

June 26, 2019, 5:23 p.m.

nice find - glad you got what you wanted by being patient

June 26, 2019, 8:16 p.m.

Posted by: skooks

Dam that's a sweet looking bike! I have spent some time on one and was impressed by how versatile it is

Yeah, I’m surprised too! Took it out tonight in the low and slack position and it pedals great. I used the lock out going up BLT but I didn’t have to. Fewer pedal strikes than in my E29 on the way down Cypress (nothing sketch) and the bike was easy - composed and predictable. Balanced  

I’m not sure I’m even going to try the steeper positions. Maybe my e29 is less lively than I thought, but  I found the Slayer plenty lively in the slack position. Felt like a trail bike to me. I was using all the travel too!

June 26, 2019, 11:17 p.m.

Beautiful build on that man, love the paint too, nice and matchy with the Fox Factory. Only rode a Slayer for one day in Squamish a couple years back but loved it

June 27, 2019, 8:04 p.m.

Thanks all

Had it out for the second ride tonight. Still need to work thru settings but it was better. Still seems very stiff at the top of the stroke. I think I may run extra sag. 

Here’s her stablemate. Also matchy matchy.

June 27, 2019, 9:32 p.m.

Go see Arthur at Suspension Therapy - best $200 I've ever spent on a bike...and I've now done it on two bikes. He is the suspension-whisperer IMO - and a nice guy to boot.

July 4, 2019, 3:06 p.m.

This slayer is living up to my expectations!

I have yet to take it out to some gnarly stuff but on my regular rides it is killing it. Suspension is figured out and I am totally shocked about a few things: 1) how well it climbs, and 2) how on a totally normal (not gnarly) ride like 7th or Upper Tall Cans, or things that I would have thought would make it feel like too big a bike, it feels lively and fun and efficient, even in full slack.

Then when I take it on fast - hold onto the bars kinda stuff (not steep but fast and rough, top part of Wutang before the ladder for example), it takes off and soaks it all up like a DH bike. 

Ive had 5 rides on it - first three were getting it set up, last two were bliss. 

I love how it looks - going to ride wrap it because those orange letters are decals and they will not last (and I love them).

Its now got a OneUp EDC in the stem and pump, and a water bottle. Riding pack-less is awesome!

July 5, 2019, 1:07 p.m.

Nice dude, never heard a bad review of those bikes. Agree on your last point, I'm rocking the fanny pack and love it compared to backpack. Would be nice to go down to nothing on short rides with EDC + water bottle.

July 7, 2019, 1:08 a.m.

I also have a Slayer (2018 C50 XL) and absolutely love it. It actually weighs less than my friend's M Instinct BC (those 29" wheels). I've taken it on all manner of trails, from the bike park to LOTS. Long rides like LOTS are the only times I have used the flip chip.

My only complaint was the stock suspension setup--I was getting lots of flats and kind of wrecked the stock rim. Took it to Arthur who helped me sort that out (stock tune on the XL is for someone far heavier than me) and there have been no problems since.

Only mods are EDC, new rear wheel (Hope Enduro 35W), Ergon grips, and meanwhile warrantied rear axle, dropper and CSU.

July 10, 2019, 10:30 p.m.

Well I wouldn’t have expected this but I sold the E29. Such a wicked bike that served me better than any before it, but the Slayer just works so well everywhere, including on the trails that I was expecting to keep the E29 for. The 29s are faster but I don’t care about that. 

Farewell black and white bike.

July 17, 2019, 1:48 p.m.

Yup, a few people have noticed that my new Slayer is TV's from a few recent movies - which is why its spec'd so well and why it looks diff than others and why it was barely ridden. Movie bike!

Unfortunately, his skills were not included.

July 18, 2019, 10:57 a.m.

Nice scoop, u lucky bastard!! Thomas Motherfuckin' Vanderham's ride.

After borrowing Wade Simmons bike for a spin 20 years ago I think I blurted out the experience to everyone I met for the next decade.