Modern Slayer versus 2014 E29

Feb. 7, 2019, 5:05 p.m.

Posted by: Ddean

This is where new bike itch starts to take effect...at this point you or anyone else could talk me into pretty much any type of bike!

I tend to believe that you spend your money on what brings you the most joy, in a somewhat responsible fashion. If all it takes is a new dropper and an angleset to get the E29 where you need it then do that first as it's small potatoes compared to getting a new bike. Test it out in the new configuration for a couple weeks and then reevaluate on whether you want/need another bike. Seriously, if you're considering spending $3K on a new bike then $500 should be nothing to make sure you're headed in the right direction. And it's not like it will be a total loss if it doesn't work as you'll have a spare dropper as a back-up or you can sell it to recoup some of your money making that $500 invest maybe only $250 when it's all said and done.

Feb. 7, 2019, 6:25 p.m.

Dump the E29. Get a new bike 

You only YOLO once.

Feb. 7, 2019, 7:14 p.m.

Posted by: Endur-Bro

Dump the E29. Get a new bike 

You only YOLO once.

quote of the day: You only You Only Live Once once.

Feb. 8, 2019, 12:16 p.m.

I vote angleset and new dropper, as said look at the BikeYoke or OneUp as they low stack heights compared to a Reverb. If you can run a 150mm or even 160-170mm that will give you way more confidence on steeps (and I understand, I'm limited to 125mm on my bike and it kinda sucks).

Feb. 8, 2019, 1:13 p.m.

None of the above. 

Buy a Instinct BC and sell the E29. 

Get a L instead of the M and still put an angleset in it to bring it to 64.9 and give it some more wheelbase. For XC find the lightest possible wheels you think you can run.

Feb. 8, 2019, 2:02 p.m.

Posted by: earleb

None of the above. 

Get a L instead of the M and still put an angleset in it to bring it to 64.9 and give it some more wheelbase. For XC find the lightest possible wheels you think you can run.

I'm liking the geometry better on the Instinct with the regular metric shock at 140 mm and a longer travel fork. The BC Edition is pretty tall and steep due to the longer-stroke rear shock.

Feb. 8, 2019, 2:20 p.m.

I didn't look that close at the differences between the two. Offset bushings to bring the bb down on the BC? The angleset would bring it down a touch.

Feb. 9, 2019, 7:24 p.m.

Posted by: earleb

None of the above. 

I don't understand this approach. Buy a brand new bike off the rack and then MOD it up to make it totally different. The angleset achieves the HTA you want but it doesn't reinforece the frame for the increased forces it will endure, nor does it stiffen the frame for the kind of riding you want to do with the bike.  If the slayer isn't the bike you want, something out there is without MODing it.

Get a Slayer! It sounds like you would get full use out of it. I agree with the above suggestion to slim down the tire/wheelset of the specialized and use that for lighter duty ripping. My wife has a V1 Bronson and it is a great XCish bike by nowdays standards.

Feb. 10, 2019, 2:21 p.m.

If the Instinct handles Remy shredding it on the EWS it will be just fine with an angleset and anyone posting on here.

I would have suggested other bikes from other manufacturers but he has a desire for a Rocky.

Feb. 11, 2019, 2:01 p.m.

Thanks all -theres a ton a great advice here. Ive been sick and not going anywhere near a bike so Ive been silent here for a bit.

I think that Im going to get that oneup 170 dropper regardless as my dropper is getting close to a servicing anyways. At minimum it will expand what I can comfortably do on the E29 and it might solve questions right there.

Unfortunately, the proprietary headset of the E29, and probably all the other bikes made by that evil empire,  means that I cant drop an angleset in there it seems. Im stuck with 67.5* which might mean that this E29 is stuck as a trail bike.

I will take the bike directly to the sketchy sections with the dropper and see what difference that makes. Maybe that will give me some clarity!

Feb. 11, 2019, 2:57 p.m.

Thanks all -theres a ton a great advice here. Ive been sick and not going anywhere near a bike so Ive been silent here for a bit.

I think that Im going to get that oneup 170 dropper regardless as my dropper is getting close to a servicing anyways. At minimum it will expand what I can comfortably do on the E29 and it might solve questions right there.

Unfortunately, the proprietary headset of the E29, and probably all the other bikes made by that evil empire,  means that I cant drop an angleset in there it seems. Im stuck with 67.5* which might mean that this E29 is stuck as a trail bike.

I will take the bike directly to the sketchy sections with the dropper and see what difference that makes. Maybe that will give me some clarity!

How about offset bushings? At the cost of a couple of mm of travel you can slacken your head angle by a degree or more: https://www.offsetbushings.com/

Feb. 11, 2019, 3:11 p.m.

Neat - thanks!

Would I be able to fix the STA by moving the seat forward a bit?

Feb. 11, 2019, 6:05 p.m.

run a 24" wheel in the back. that'll sort you out real quick for all the slack you'll need.

Feb. 11, 2019, 9:06 p.m.

I still say you buy a slayer. All these mods will ultimately buy you a season before you go ahead and replace the e29. It sounds like it has been a great bike for you. The Oneup dropper seems like a really great inexpensive dropper. It's on my to buy when my current reverb needs rebuilding.

Feb. 11, 2019, 9:31 p.m.

Yup, skip the upgrades and just buy the slayer. You will be happier in the end.