Modern DH bike vs. Older FR bike

July 11, 2012, 8:53 p.m.

Ok here it goes.

I currently ride a 2006 Iron Horse 7point7 with a Boxxer with a Avy cartridge and an angle set.
The bike is/has been a great all round "big" bike for me, but I am starting to wonder if a newer full on DH bike would help my ridding or if I am just jonesing to buy something new!
I find my current bike is generally a great ride however when things get fast and steep (In Deep, Goats Gully, No Duff type stuff) the bike starts to feel a litle "overwhelmed".
So NSMB gurus is something like a TR450 or similar going to make me into a DH superstar or am I just trying to make up for my lack of skill with $?

Originally posted by Purecanadianhoney
I don't see how hard it would be to scrape out the head of your cock once in a while.

July 11, 2012, 9:01 p.m.

A "new school" DH bike won't make you a "DH Superstar", but it will certainly help you with your confidence and speed when the trail gets fast and steep.

July 11, 2012, 9:06 p.m.

Rode that frame and felt the same way. Got a Socom with slacker dropouts which gives it geometry that is pretty relevant to current standards.

Yea for the full out dh, a full on dh bike is nice and way more stable at speed. But you also lose some of the flick- ability. I countered that by getting a norco range as a second bike.

The frame is a lot of fun, bike progression has slowed quite a bit compared to the early 2000's. With an angle set in there you're probably not that far off from being modern.

July 11, 2012, 9:07 p.m.

It will definitely make you more confident and faster. DH superstar might be pushing it though, you have to remember that everyone else also has a similar bike…..

You'd be surprised what a difference it makes though.

iforonewelcome.com

July 11, 2012, 9:13 p.m.

Rode that frame and felt the same way. Got a Socom with slacker dropouts which gives it geometry that is pretty relevant to current standards.

Yea for the full out dh, a full on dh bike is nice and way more stable at speed. But you also lose some of the flick- ability. I countered that by getting a norco range as a second bike.

The frame is a lot of fun, bike progression has slowed quite a bit compared to the early 2000's. With an angle set in there you're probably not that far off from being modern.

Same for me. Had a Delirium as my only bike. Bought a Demo, which seemed very racy/long/low/slack at first but now that I'm used to it I seriously love it. The Delirium was too close to the Demo in terms of intention so I switched it for an Enduro and now I'm pretty happy with the two bikes.

There's nothing better than an Orangina after cheating death with Digger.

July 11, 2012, 9:16 p.m.

I am just jonesing to buy something new!

…….am I just trying to make up for my lack of skill with $?

there's absolutely nothing wrong with either of those two things

July 11, 2012, 9:19 p.m.

there's absolutely nothing wrong with either of those two things

Can you talk to my wife… Please!?

I don't see how hard it would be to scrape out the head of your cock once in a while.

July 11, 2012, 9:26 p.m.

new bike will make you super star

July 11, 2012, 9:32 p.m.

Anyone ridden a nukeproof scalp?

July 11, 2012, 9:33 p.m.

Can you talk to my wife… Please!?

July 12, 2012, 1:02 p.m.

DW link is sweet.

If you dont want to spend i huge pile, you can pick up a Sunday for pretty cheep these days.

Or the big bike Devinci has the next generation DW.

I ride a speci D7 and an enduro, but miss my 6.6

July 12, 2012, 1:25 p.m.

I rode a 7 point for a couple years and loved it, if you wanted to make it more dh oriented you could slacken it out even more by getting a 8.75x2.75 shock to replace the 9x2.75 they originally came with. Of course if you've really got the 'new' bike itch just get a new one! Everybody feels that way once in awhile…

July 13, 2012, 1:12 a.m.

Had 2007 7Point and unlike many of you I never felt right on this frame, sold it after one short season. Geo seemed odd and head angle was way too steep.

I may be wrong but 7Points HAD 8.75x2.75 shocks stock aside from Air version?

Replace your IH even with something as "old" as '07-'08 Bighit and you will ba happy :)

G3Riders www.g3riders.org
www.facebook.com/G3Riders/

July 13, 2012, 9:24 a.m.

Had 2007 7Point and unlike many of you I never felt right on this frame, sold it after one short season. Geo seemed odd and head angle was way too steep.

I may be wrong but 7Points HAD 8.75x2.75 shocks stock aside from Air version?

Replace your IH even with something as "old" as '07-'08 Bighit and you will ba happy :)

2005 7point had a 9" I2I while anything later had a 8.75 I2I.

I agree with the head angle issue, tried to fix it with an angleset and is slightly better.

July 13, 2012, 9:47 a.m.

2005 7point had a 9" I2I while anything later had a 8.75 I2I.

I agree with the head angle issue, tried to fix it with an angleset and is slightly better.

I have had a number of IH bikes, quite like them, but agreed with wanting a slacker HA. Back in 2005/6 I had a 7 Point setup with a Roco on the back and 888 RC2X on the front, the bike felt slack, and absolutely flew on the downhill. It was however very heavy, stock wheels with 325 rims, DH tubes and 2 ply tires, it was 44-45 lbs.

Fast forward to my current version, I have a Vivid Air and Talas 180 along with a 1.5 degree angle set. Bike weight is much more reasonable at around 38lbs, but I still feel like it should be slacker, lighter would be good as well. I am still at 66 degrees, if measuring correctly. Perhaps a slightly higher riser bar would help, or may switch out to a Works 2 degree adapter cups.

Don't have much experience on current DH bikes, but the DW-Link bikes IH built like the 7-point and Sunday can't be too far removed from any current DH bike, especially with a little tweaking.

Either way it is just about getting out and riding. If you have the cash, I new bike is always fun, even if it is not all that much different.