MIPS Technology - Your guys take?

Feb. 18, 2017, 1:25 p.m.

mouth guards are nothing new to the sport , meet guys in the early 90,s using them to stop from chipping and cracking their teeth .

If MIPs is the real deal why is it only being used in MTB ??? Neck braces are used is tons of sports along with helmets , but from what I have seen MTB is the only sport pushing it .

For me it,s another standard they are forcing upon the sport .

MIPS is now available for dirtbike, street bike, and snow sports helmets. The science is still suspect, but I figure piece of mind is worth it.

As for mouthguards, my dentist is really suggesting I get one, for dental protection as well as concussion protection. Anyone know about that?

"Constant rage: could people f*cking up all the time be to blame?" - The Onion

Feb. 18, 2017, 1:42 p.m.

What Kali is doing makes more sense to me: https://kaliprotectives.com/technology

Their tech (claims) to offer better protection against both low impact and rotational forces. It's hard to know how effective any of this stuff is without seeing some third-party testing (assuming the testing protocol was valid), but from a theoretical standpoint, it seems to make the most sense. There are a few other companies out there doing similar things as well. I don't think I'd consider buying a regular helmet even with MIPS knowing that there are potentially better technologies out there.

Feb. 18, 2017, 2:12 p.m.

Just found out that Giro is making a helmet with Mips for about a hundred Euros. So there is no longer any reason to not try it, since money is taken out of the equation….if Giro fits your head.

I remember reading about Kali's ideas in Dirt Mag a few years back. And found the ideas pretty interesting, although I have to admit I am in no position to actually criticize any of the ideas, simply not enough knowledge/background.

I think one of the reasons why such tech has not been produced before is simple progression in technology. Just compare a twenty year old car with today's offerings, heck…telephones.

There is constant improvement happening.

6D is offering a helmet in which there are basically two shells sort of "fused" together, similar to the idea behind Mips. It is just friggin expensive for a normal lid.

"You don't learn from experience. You learn from reflecting on the experience."
- Kristen Ulmer

Feb. 18, 2017, 2:21 p.m.

mouth guards are nothing new to the sport , meet guys in the early 90,s using them to stop from chipping and cracking their teeth .

If MIPs is the real deal why is it only being used in MTB ??? Neck braces are used is tons of sports along with helmets , but from what I have seen MTB is the only sport pushing it .

For me it,s another standard they are forcing upon the sport .

There are a few MIPS helmets for snow sports. There is something in football helmets that is similar to the 6d deal that intended to mitigate those rotational inpact forces. Bike helmets are simpler to design perhaps because they are intended for one crash whereas hockey and football need to last multiple hits. Motor sports helmets have to absorb far more energy than bike helmets.

Debate? Bikes are made for riding not pushing.

Feb. 18, 2017, 2:35 p.m.

As for mouthguards, my dentist is really suggesting I get one, for dental protection as well as concussion protection. Anyone know about that?

My understanding is that no one has shown that mouthguards help prevent concussions, but neither has anyone shown that they don't help reduce the force transmitted to your skull when you crash your face into something.

Playing hockey, I've fallen and smacked my head pretty hard on the ice both while wearing, and not wearing, a mouthguard. I'd say having the mouthguard was better, even when the impact was on the back of my helmet. Hockey Canada recommends that kids wear them, even when wearing a full cage.

Feb. 18, 2017, 2:49 p.m.

I chew bubblegum whilst playing ice hockey. Nothing screams backcheck like a pink bubblishious bubble being blown while floating back into my own end.

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

Feb. 18, 2017, 5:53 p.m.

frankly I could care less , it,s been around since 1996 and they are now trying to cram it down our throats now as it,s a added safety feature FUCK THAT!!!

every MIPS version I have tried on was uncomfortable , I will not invest in a design that needs to be tightened onto ones head .

next they will be recommending a HANS Device as they help stop whiplash and are more proven than the Leatt and the likes .

#northsidetrailbuilders

Feb. 19, 2017, 9:05 a.m.

frankly I could care less , it,s been around since 1996 and they are now trying to cram it down our throats now as it,s a added safety feature FUCK THAT!!!

every MIPS version I have tried on was uncomfortable , I will not invest in a design that needs to be tightened onto ones head .

Not sure where you are coming from. MIPS is just a slip plane inside a helmet. Are you referring to a Giro Roc Lock fit adjustment device that nearly all road and XC and half shell helmets have in some form or another? Are you talking those fit things on a full face?

Feb. 19, 2017, 9:35 a.m.

Not sure where you are coming from. MIPS is just a slip plane inside a helmet. Are you referring to a Giro Roc Lock fit adjustment device that nearly all road and XC and half shell helmets have in some form or another? Are you talking those fit things on a full face?

it was the Switchblade , and the newer Bell and another model I tried on and did not like the fit or the feel of the helmet

http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/14416472/

here is another design using similar , the way these designs fit my head I can,t wear them when tightened up

#northsidetrailbuilders

Feb. 19, 2017, 9:55 a.m.

Just to keep reiterating, MIPS is not BOA and has nothing to do with BOA.

Troy Lee D3 full face helmets have a MIPS option where only thing you can notice different is a sticker on the back and it's a fraction tighter.

Feb. 19, 2017, 11:50 a.m.

I have a Maya. I don't know if it has MIPS or not but it feels so good on my head I can't wait to try it out.

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.

Feb. 19, 2017, 12:25 p.m.

I have a Maya. I don't know if it had MIPS or not but it feels so good on my head I can't wait to try it out.

Kali does not use the idea brought forward by Mips, they try to deal with the issue if rotation differently.

Guess that you have found your helmet, then. Congrats.
I have been using a Poc Trabec for a few years now, but after a few hours I find it rather uncomfy. Still not uncomfy enough for justifying a new helmet. The helmets that my head has liked so far have been Giro and TLD ones.

"You don't learn from experience. You learn from reflecting on the experience."
- Kristen Ulmer

Feb. 19, 2017, 1:46 p.m.

Just to keep reiterating, MIPS is not BOA and has nothing to do with BOA.

Troy Lee D3 full face helmets have a MIPS option where only thing you can notice different is a sticker on the back and it's a fraction tighter.

Nice.

And to continue. MIPS isn't the retention web at the back of an open face helmet

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

Feb. 19, 2017, 3:51 p.m.

it was the Switchblade , and the newer Bell and another model I tried on and did not like the fit or the feel of the helmet

http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/14416472/

here is another design using similar , the way these designs fit my head I can,t wear them when tightened up

Yeah like others already said, those fit devices are unrelated to MIPS. I hear you about the Switchblade Rok-loc. Too large and too low. For me though extra pads that raise the helmet up a bit let it fit well.

Feb. 20, 2017, 7:02 a.m.

You can't tell how mips works or doesn't by wiggling your helmet on your head. If you hit the ground hard enough the force of the impact will cause the helmet to stick to your head and ground which introduces the rotational forces to the brain. None of us here have enough helmet engineering knowledge to state whether or not MIPS works, myself included. There is a lot of research going on right now on helmets in all sorts of sports. The rotational issue is something that helmet makers are looking at. There are a number of technologies that are aimed at mitigating that type of force so it seems to be a valid concern.

This post ^^^ is the truth.

I am shaking my head about some of the comments in this thread. Only on the NSMB boards do you have people debating things like MIPS.

www.FVMBA.com 

"If everything seems in control, you're not going fast enough."
-Mario Andretti-