MIPS Technology - Your guys take?

Feb. 17, 2017, 1:22 p.m.

Just surfed the web for some helmets, given that my current trail helmet is a few years old.

I found out that quite a few helmets are utilizing Mips technology and tried to dig a little deeper. I found two in my opinion quite interesting articles but am not a scientist or very versed in physics.

Here are the links to the articles:

http://www.roadbikereview.com/reviews/does-mips-helmet-technology-really-work/1

http://www.bhsi.org/mips.htm

Interesting that according to the second website quite a few helmet manufacturers have not utilized it properly in their finished products, and that it is not known if the idea is working at all.

What is your guys take on it?

"You don't learn from experience. You learn from reflecting on the experience."
- Kristen Ulmer

Feb. 17, 2017, 1:55 p.m.

I like the tech that Kali is working with over MIPS….but I say it can't hurt to have a little extra protection no matter what it is.

Feb. 17, 2017, 2:15 p.m.

I'm a believer, have had a couple instances of crashes in MIPS helemts that have written off the helemt but really didn't notice the severity of the crash at the time

Feb. 17, 2017, 2:26 p.m.

I have one in my new D3.

Can't say I'm a believer, but what the hell.

Feb. 17, 2017, 2:44 p.m.

I have a MIPS helmet.

Starting to think that while there might be some science behind it, that it's just bullshit marketing. Scientists can't seem to agree on what causes or reduces concussions.

This trip to Kelowna was definately an undertaking - Liam and I had been planning this project for 24 hours. We worked really hard to pull out all the stops in this video. We had slo-mo goggle shots; time lapses; pedal flips; outrageous product shots; unloading and loading the bike; walking through the field with your hand in wheat. At the end of the day this trip was all about just getting out and riding with all my friends.

www.letsridebikes.ca

Feb. 17, 2017, 5:54 p.m.

guy,s I know with have had their bells rung pretty good with it , my helmets don,t have it , and my next ones won,t either . I prefer the fit of a helmet by adjusting the pads not cinching up a Boa , and those can break as well , then what do you do if it happens during a ride or race ??

#northsidetrailbuilders

Feb. 17, 2017, 5:55 p.m.

There ain't no boa with my mips.

Feb. 17, 2017, 6:25 p.m.

There ain't no boa with my mips.

the new Giro I tried had some Boa cinch system to tighten up the liner , could not stand the feeling on my head when tightened up .

#northsidetrailbuilders

Feb. 17, 2017, 7:55 p.m.

BOA is a lot tougher than you'd think. Helmet retention web is a great place for it. I tried on a Specialized AM helmet that utilized a BOA tightening system and was really impressed with it.

None of my helmets have MIPS. Maybe the next one will, who knows.

Surprised so few people ride with a mouth guard

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

Feb. 17, 2017, 9:39 p.m.

I have a POC Cortex Flow DH helmet with MIPS. I got it because it fit me well, was comfortable and light - carbon shell - and on sale. I've read up on the MIPS stuff - it uses slip layers in the helmet liner that are supposed to reduce the rotational energy delivered to your brain which makes it "wobble" in your skull. I've had a couple of small spills on it and I can't say if I noticed anything different, but it seems to do its job just fine.

There is some dispute as to how effective MIPS really is. Ultimately, however, there are some impacts that your helmet can't protect you from (like a neck-spinal injury). So long as you take reasonable measures (like wearing a properly fitted helmet and wearing a neck brace for DH/Park), you are probably doing as much as can be reasonably expected.

PS Found this article

http://www.consumersdigest.com/travel-recreation/article/bicycle-helmets-heads-up/view-all

Many people find mouth guards annoying if they have to be worn for any prolonged length of time.

Feb. 17, 2017, 11:59 p.m.

I recently bought a Bell Super-2R with MIPS, but only because it was the same price (on sale) as the non-MIPS version. It's a nice helmet and fits fine, but I am not convinced that the MIPS system makes it any safer. My other helmets seem to slide/rotate on my head about the same amount as the new MIPS helmet does. I doubt it can hurt, but I don't think I would pay an premium for it. I think the 6D helmets are probably better at decoupling rotating/sliding forces from your head.

Feb. 18, 2017, 7:17 a.m.

There is some dispute as to how effective MIPS really is. Ultimately, however, there are some impacts that your helmet can't protect you from (like a neck-spinal injury). So long as you take reasonable measures (like wearing a properly fitted helmet and wearing a neck brace for DH/Park), you are probably doing as much as can be reasonably expected.

PS Found this article

http://www.consumersdigest.com/travel-recreation/article/bicycle-helmets-heads-up/view-all

Many people find mouth guards annoying if they have to be worn for any prolonged length of time.

Is it just myself or has there been a drastic reduction in people wearing neck braces at both WBP and AMA SX races? I've considered a brace but like MIPS the info seems to be inconclusive.

Logan peat wears a mouth guard and lots of pro snowboarders wear one before getting sendy AF. Likely to protect their chicklets more than anything else.

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

Feb. 18, 2017, 8:27 a.m.

BOA is a lot tougher than you'd think. Helmet retention web is a great place for it. I tried on a Specialized AM helmet that utilized a BOA tightening system and was really impressed with it.

None of my helmets have MIPS. Maybe the next one will, who knows.

i've wondered the same thing about mouth guards. when i think of the speeds hurtling down tight rocky trails lined with trees the potential for trauma is insane. i see some of the local bro brahs get more injured all the time chasing records. lots of facial injuries and of course no one wears a full face (or mouth guard, or elbow pads, etc)

Feb. 18, 2017, 9:08 a.m.

I recently bought a Bell Super-2R with MIPS, but only because it was the same price (on sale) as the non-MIPS version. It's a nice helmet and fits fine, but I am not convinced that the MIPS system makes it any safer. My other helmets seem to slide/rotate on my head about the same amount as the new MIPS helmet does. I doubt it can hurt, but I don't think I would pay an premium for it. I think the 6D helmets are probably better at decoupling rotating/sliding forces from your head.

You can't tell how mips works or doesn't by wiggling your helmet on your head. If you hit the ground hard enough the force of the impact will cause the helmet to stick to your head and ground which introduces the rotational forces to the brain. None of us here have enough helmet engineering knowledge to state whether or not MIPS works, myself included. There is a lot of research going on right now on helmets in all sorts of sports. The rotational issue is something that helmet makers are looking at. There are a number of technologies that are aimed at mitigating that type of force so it seems to be a valid concern.

Debate? Bikes are made for riding not pushing.

Feb. 18, 2017, 9:24 a.m.

mouth guards are nothing new to the sport , meet guys in the early 90,s using them to stop from chipping and cracking their teeth .

If MIPs is the real deal why is it only being used in MTB ??? Neck braces are used is tons of sports along with helmets , but from what I have seen MTB is the only sport pushing it .

For me it,s another standard they are forcing upon the sport .

#northsidetrailbuilders