Minion SS for the shore

May 22, 2016, 11:08 p.m.

When you say straight line traction….you must mean climbing or ecelarating?

Yeah, grabs better on climbs and descents than other semi slicks I've tried. I'm not on the shore though.
I've also run the Slaughter, Rock Razor, and am currently on the Riddler. In the wet there is a lot less control going on with a semi slick, as in none, but like others said you kinda learn to enjoy it.

I think the ideal semi slick has yet to be made. Maxxis has got the casing, weigh and size, but the profile is fucked- makes leaning in vague and sketchy. Slaughter needs to shave weight. Rock Razor is too big and thin feeling. Riddler is right size and has a great profile, but the casing is thin and flimsy, yet heavy, somehow.

Aggressor rear is another option, if you want something fast, but still need to occasionally stop. I've been really impressed with this tire.

https://nsmba.ca/product-category/memberships/

May 23, 2016, 10:23 a.m.

Yeah I'd say on a dry shore day that type of tire is a good option. I only have experience with the Slaughter and in general it was good to me. The times I felt like I wish I had a tire with a deeper tread were when I rode something really dusty. Braking deep into a turn was a scary thing as that style of tire just doesn't have the bite when the dust is deep.

Jon-boy.

May 23, 2016, 10:57 a.m.

Yeah, grabs better on climbs and descents than other semi slicks I've tried. I'm not on the shore though.
I've also run the Slaughter, Rock Razor, and am currently on the Riddler. In the wet there is a lot less control going on with a semi slick, as in none, but like others said you kinda learn to enjoy it.

I think the ideal semi slick has yet to be made. Maxxis has got the casing, weigh and size, but the profile is fucked- makes leaning in vague and sketchy. Slaughter needs to shave weight. Rock Razor is too big and thin feeling. Riddler is right size and has a great profile, but the casing is thin and flimsy, yet heavy, somehow.

Aggressor rear is another option, if you want something fast, but still need to occasionally stop. I've been really impressed with this tire.

Aggressor is the other tire I'm looking at. Might be a much better choice for me.

May 23, 2016, 11:10 a.m.

dude at Vedder a couple weeks back raced with the WTB version front and rear .

I ran the RockRazor and really liked it , and yesterday while in staging in Williams Lake I chatted with several racers running the SS and they loved it .

#northsidetrailbuilders

May 23, 2016, 3:09 p.m.

dude at Vedder a couple weeks back raced with the WTB version front and rear .

The WTB Trailboss is a good compromise and has really good grip for a rear tire. I ran that two seasons ago on my hardtail and really liked it for summer use. It got pretty torn up riding at Whistler on all the rock slabs though.

The Riddler is a step on from that in terms of lots and lots of small short knobs.

Jon-boy.

May 23, 2016, 5:09 p.m.

Hoping maxxis makes this tire in 275 x 2.5

May 23, 2016, 5:39 p.m.

Hoping maxxis makes this tire in 275 x 2.5

I'd buy this tire. On my fourth 2.3 Slaughter (2x Control / 2x Grid) and I could definitely do with a bit more air volume on the hardtail.

Mean People SUCK! Nice People SHOVEL!

Trails For All; Trails For Weather

May 24, 2016, 9:51 a.m.

Aggressor is the other tire I'm looking at. Might be a much better choice for me.

I've been running the Aggressor on the rear for a few rides now. Good all arounder, dual compound so it rolls relatively well and should have decent tread life, lighter than the HR2 but slightly heavier than the DHR2. Seems predictable in loose over hard conditions. So far I'm really liking it.

I'm putting it up front and using a Minion SS on the back for the dry season/summer, which seems to be pretty much already started. I also ran a Slaughter Grid last year, liked the faster rolling but the weight was overkill for most of my riding. (If anyone wants a used one with 90% tread, hit me up.)

I like a business up front/ party in the back tire setup for summer, the lighter minion ss might be the ticket.

May 24, 2016, 9:59 a.m.

I personally couldn't stand the rock razor, almost put me into the ground more than a few times last year with it's sketchiness, I'll stick to real, not ss, tread.

May 24, 2016, 10:49 a.m.

I'd buy this tire. On my fourth 2.3 Slaughter (2x Control / 2x Grid) and I could definitely do with a bit more air volume on the hardtail.

Ever try a Rock Razor? Corners even better than Slaughter, and has a bigger volume. Snakeskin casing won't tear in my experience, but if you are running through rock gardens at high speed and such a thicker casing would be nice so it doesn't ping around so much.

https://nsmba.ca/product-category/memberships/

May 24, 2016, 11:07 a.m.

Since I had one laying around, last summer, I ran a Racing Ralph on the back, and Hans Dampf on the front. It was fun on the dry trails and did alright on straight-line breaking (not amazing but adequate). Drifted on corners a bit, but the side nobs did ok in biting into the turn.

Has anyone else ridden a RaRa on the shore or am I an odd-ball?

-Gord