Minion or High Roller for wet riding?

Aug. 30, 2017, 9:36 p.m.

I just ordered a 2018 Trek Remedy 8. It comes with Bontrager Line Comp 30 rims (27.5), and 2.4 inch Bontrager XR4 tires. Those tires are apparently quite good, but perhaps more of a summer tire. 

I've been riding Minions because, well that's the tire I see the most here on the shore. For the new bike, I was thinking of getting some wet winter tires: a DHF 2.5 for front, and a DHR II 2.4 for the back. But then I noticed on the High Roller packaging, that the High Roller might be a bit better in the wet.

Any thoughts?

I'm not thinking of going tubeless for now. Guess I gotta do some research on that as well...

Aug. 30, 2017, 10:50 p.m.

Sticky compound really helps.

Aug. 31, 2017, 7:01 a.m.

High Roller on the front works for me in the wet, in the stickest compound you can get a hold of.

Aug. 31, 2017, 3:51 p.m.

Maybe Maxxis market it that way as the HR could shed mud better than DHF? I don't find we have sticky mud that clogs tires here, so DHF 2.5 in 3C Max Gripp up front is the way to go in the winter. Or get the SuperTacky if you go DH casing and don't mind faster wearing.

Aug. 31, 2017, 8:12 p.m.

I got a 2.5x29 minion DHF on the front and a 2.3x29 aggressor on the back which doesn't have a lot of knobbage so would it be a good idea to get another 2.5 minion DHF to put on the rear or swap front to back or sft , is the DHF minion any good as a rear tire would be the real question I guess, so far its been great on the front

Sept. 1, 2017, 12:52 a.m.

Try DHF Super Tacky.

Sept. 1, 2017, 1:44 a.m.

Posted by: XXX_er

I got a 2.5x29 minion DHF on the front and a 2.3x29 aggressor on the back which doesn't have a lot of knobbage so would it be a good idea to get another 2.5 minion DHF to put on the rear or swap front to back or sft , is the DHF minion any good as a rear tire would be the real question I guess, so far its been great on the front

I've been liking the DHRII front and rear better than the DHF since, forever. 

Have a Magic Mary I'll strap on the front of a trail bike once the rains come.  Might consider a Shorty as well.

Sept. 1, 2017, 9:32 a.m.

Posted by: XXX_er

I think lots of riders have a favourite front tire, and just move it front to back every time they get a new, identical, front tire. Others may have a favourite front, and a different favourite back. I'm happy to use the 1st scheme, but for a new bike, I can choose the perfect front/back combo (DHF + DHR, or HR x 2, or even DHF + HR) .

Question is which is better for the wet. I like the idea of the DHF 2.5, just to know that I'm riding the widest possible tire that my bike will allow.

Compound choices for the DHF 2.5, as per Maxxis website, are: 3C MAXX GRIP , 3C MAXX TERRA  , and DUAL   

The ones available at MEC are the Maxx Terra, but I could order the Maxx Grip off internet if they are a better wet choice. Any thoughts on Maxx Grip vs Maxx Terra?  how much better in the wet?  how much less durable?

Winter is coming.

Sept. 1, 2017, 8:56 p.m.

I've ridden the Shore on the XR4's through a winter and they're actually pretty good. However, if you're a hard charger you may prefer the new XR5's or even the SE5's, which I'm currently running. I find they're just as good as the Minions. But maybe that's just me. Plus they're cheaper by about $20 per tire.