Inexpesive Mineral Oil for brakes

April 14, 2021, 3:26 p.m.

Posted by: syncro

Good info. It's too bad I can't find the viscosity of the Shimano fluid anywhere. I can agree about the saving $20 on something that will last forever is not a biggie, I just hate the thought of way overpaying for something. Before the switch, MEC in NVan say they could get me a litre of Shimano for $70. I just hate price gouging and $70 is insane for something that costs maybe a a few dollars to produce.

Here you go:

https://si.shimano.com/content/safetydatasheet/HydraulicMineralOil_Eng.pdf

It doesnt specifically call it 'brake oil', but it does say it is 'bicycle hydraulic mineral oil'

Looks like they say the viscosity is about 8cSt vs 18cSt for LHM plus

Last edited by: shoreboy on April 14, 2021, 3:28 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
April 14, 2021, 3:31 p.m.

Posted by: XXX_er

Posted by: Poz

But did you use lordco tape to wrap the bike first ?

Thanks synchro I had no idea some cars used mineral.

Heads up that the drugstore stuff might be thicker than you, 

I sense you don't actualy have anything to add

I don’t, you are correct. Just saw Syncro and you in the top of a thread and it was easy picking. 

I have a 1l of the shimano stuff that seems to last forever. But knowing of other options is good. Plus I had no idea done German cats used mineral oil for brakes. TIL

a 4 " piece of 3M

was/is actualy the correct nomenclature, but as opposed to acting like a cunt did anyone ever wonder why someone would chose to rather pedanticaly mention specifically a 4" piece of 3M ?

because 3M also comes in 6" wide which might not work so well on a bike as the 4" wide, I noticed the last 2 digits of product code were 06 vs 04 which makes sense, so I  posted the correct information in full in case someone actulay  uses it

WTF dude, chill out. It was a stupid joke that had context (recent thread, one started as a joke, the fact one buys both said mineral oil and 3m at Lordco...) 

But hey if you want to be miserable have at it. 

I’m going for a bike ride on my bike that has blue dyed mineral oil in the brake lines.

April 14, 2021, 3:57 p.m.

Posted by: shoreboy

Good info. It's too bad I can't find the viscosity of the Shimano fluid anywhere. I can agree about the saving $20 on something that will last forever is not a biggie, I just hate the thought of way overpaying for something. Before the switch, MEC in NVan say they could get me a litre of Shimano for $70. I just hate price gouging and $70 is insane for something that costs maybe a a few dollars to produce.

Here you go:

https://si.shimano.com/content/safetydatasheet/HydraulicMineralOil_Eng.pdf

It doesnt specifically call it 'brake oil', but it does say it is 'bicycle hydraulic mineral oil'

Looks like they say the viscosity is about 8cSt vs 18cSt for LHM plus

Thanks! I saw a very similar page, but oddly the viscosity wasn't listed. The viscosity of the Shell Pella A is even lower at 4.3.

April 14, 2021, 3:58 p.m.

There's an older thread on PB of guys running something similar to the LHM Plus that say they've had no issues with it.

April 14, 2021, 9:44 p.m.

But did you use lordco tape to wrap the bike first ?

Thanks synchro I had no idea some cars used mineral.

Heads up that the drugstore stuff might be thicker than you,

I sense you don't actualy have anything to add

I don’t, you are correct. Just saw Syncro and you in the top of a thread and it was easy picking.

I have a 1l of the shimano stuff that seems to last forever. But knowing of other options is good. Plus I had no idea done German cats used mineral oil for brakes. TIL

a 4 " piece of 3M

was/is actualy the correct nomenclature, but as opposed to acting like a cunt did anyone ever wonder why someone would chose to rather pedanticaly mention specifically a 4" piece of 3M ?

because 3M also comes in 6" wide which might not work so well on a bike as the 4" wide, I noticed the last 2 digits of product code were 06 vs 04 which makes sense, so I posted the correct information in full in case someone actulay uses it

WTF dude, chill out. It was a stupid joke that had context (recent thread, one started as a joke, the fact one buys both said mineral oil and 3m at Lordco...)

But hey if you want to be miserable have at it.

I’m going for a bike ride on my bike that has blue dyed mineral oil in the brake lines.

it didnt even occur to me you would/ could buy mineral oil at lordco

my buddy used mineral oil from the drug store which wasnt good in Shimano brakesas i pointed out

yes, you might want to chill out and go for a bike ride

I know I did

April 15, 2021, 12:54 a.m.

Posted by: DanLees1978

LHM is definitely more viscous than shimano mineral oil at room/garage temp.  This can make bleeding more challenging.  Just buy a big bottle of Shimano and it will last you years, if you use Shimano/TRP/Tektro/etc brakes.

Based on what? Data sheets indicate the density is the same and Shimano doesn't list a viscosity for the mineral oil

Based on having both in my garage at the same time, it was visibly more viscous.

Also you can't use a density figure (at a given temp) to make assumptions about viscosity.

April 15, 2021, 2:03 a.m.

Posted by: JVP

So not worth the risk of poor performance. Years ago I tried some other bike brand mineral oil in my Shimanos. Might have been Finish Line. Total crap! Felt fine in average conditions, but was HORRIBLE in the cold. Brakes and tires are the two things not worth mucking with to save a few pennies. I now always buy OEM brake fluid, even for my current DOT brakes (Codes). There's better places to be frugal, like literally any other part.

Absolutely agree! Even though you might find some different oil that is cheaper and that works, there is a big enough chance that you put something in your brakes that doesn't work somehow. Pitch in with some riding friends and buy a liter of the Shimano stuff and not risk anything. Even if it is just long term seal degradation or whatever. Even a small bottle lasts for a couple of bleeds, the actual savings can not be big.

April 15, 2021, 2:52 a.m.

$5k+ bikes... trying to save $20 on brake fluid, ha!

April 15, 2021, 8:26 a.m.

I've heard that Shimano Mineral oil is actually in a shortage state in many areas, so alternatives have relevance in these Covid shortage times. That said, I've heard that the alternatives (such as "Clarks" from CRC) suck compared to the Shimano stuff and the viscosity info above seems to point to why. I have been working on my 1L bottle for 3 years now, I service all 4 sets of Shimano brakes in my household, and I'm only half-way through it now. Definitely worth it to buy a big container.