Inexpesive Mineral Oil for brakes

April 13, 2021, 1:09 p.m.

Instead of paying the ridiculous price for Shimano or other bike brand mineral oil go with the car option instead @ $15 for a litre. TRW LHM Plus is a high quality, non-synthetic oil. You can order it form German Auto Parts and they will deliver or drop ship it for free to a bunch of locations in Metro Van, including the UPS store in the Park & Tilford mall in NVan.

https://germanparts.ca/parts/j4995-jlm9886-trw-trw-lhm-plus-mineral-oil1l/

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Last edited by: syncro on April 13, 2021, 1:10 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
April 13, 2021, 2:30 p.m.

It was back in the day but I've seen drug store mineral oil fack up lever return on Shimano

April 13, 2021, 5:02 p.m.

But did you use lordco tape to wrap the bike first ?

Thanks synchro I had no idea some cars used mineral.

Last edited by: Poz on April 13, 2021, 5:04 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
April 13, 2021, 6:53 p.m.

Last time I bought a liter of Shimano I think it was around $35. Not that much of a premium. 

The little bottles are incredibly expensive per ml though.

April 13, 2021, 7:05 p.m.

Posted by: Poz

Heads up that the drugstore stuff might be thicker than you, 

I sense you don't actualy have anything to add

April 13, 2021, 8:13 p.m.

Posted by: XXX_er

I don’t, you are correct. Just saw Syncro and you in the top of a thread and it was easy picking. 

I have a 1l of the shimano stuff that seems to last forever. But knowing of other options is good. Plus I had no idea done German cats used mineral oil for brakes. TIL

April 14, 2021, 1:06 a.m.

LHM is definitely more viscous than shimano mineral oil at room/garage temp.  This can make bleeding more challenging.  Just buy a big bottle of Shimano and it will last you years, if you use Shimano/TRP/Tektro/etc brakes.

April 14, 2021, 1:53 a.m.

Part of the reason I started looking at alternatives was price, cheapest I saw on a litre of Shimano was $45 USD plus shipping, and lack of availability locally.

April 14, 2021, 8:13 a.m.

FYI - I had found a 500ml bottle at John Henry about a month ago for around $40.

April 14, 2021, 9:16 a.m.

I remember from a Shimano tech seminar years ago, that it's pink dyed Shell Pella A mineral oil. Maybe that will also help find an equivalent? A quick Google tells me it's also used as a cutting fluid.

Because the small bottles are the expensive part, the next most logical thing to do is commit to a 55 gallon drum.

Last edited by: mrbrett on April 14, 2021, 5:55 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
April 14, 2021, 12:04 p.m.

So not worth the risk of poor performance. Years ago I tried some other bike brand mineral oil in my Shimanos. Might have been Finish Line. Total crap! Felt fine in average conditions, but was HORRIBLE in the cold. Brakes and tires are the two things not worth mucking with to save a few pennies. I now always buy OEM brake fluid, even for my current DOT brakes (Codes). There's better places to be frugal, like literally any other part.

April 14, 2021, 12:16 p.m.

Posted by: XXX_er

I don’t, you are correct. Just saw Syncro and you in the top of a thread and it was easy picking. 

I have a 1l of the shimano stuff that seems to last forever. But knowing of other options is good. Plus I had no idea done German cats used mineral oil for brakes. TIL

a 4 " piece of 3M

was/is actualy the correct nomenclature, but as opposed to acting like a cunt did anyone ever wonder why someone would chose to rather pedanticaly mention specifically a 4" piece of 3M ?

because 3M also comes in 6" wide which might not work so well on a bike as the 4" wide, I noticed the last 2 digits of product code were 06 vs 04 which makes sense, so I  posted the correct information in full in case someone actulay  uses it

April 14, 2021, 2:16 p.m.

Posted by: DanLees1978

LHM is definitely more viscous than shimano mineral oil at room/garage temp.  This can make bleeding more challenging.  Just buy a big bottle of Shimano and it will last you years, if you use Shimano/TRP/Tektro/etc brakes.

Based on what? Data sheets indicate the density is the same and Shimano doesn't list a viscosity for the mineral oil

April 14, 2021, 2:49 p.m.

Posted by: syncro

Posted by: DanLees1978

LHM is definitely more viscous than shimano mineral oil at room/garage temp. This can make bleeding more challenging. Just buy a big bottle of Shimano and it will last you years, if you use Shimano/TRP/Tektro/etc brakes.

Based on what? Data sheets indicate the density is the same and Shimano doesn't list a viscosity for the mineral oil

If Shimano oil is indeed Shell Pella Oil (colored pink) as mentioned above, it has a viscosity of 4.3 (@40C). The LHM plus has a viscosity of 18 (@40C). Densities are very similar.

https://shop.sclubricants.com/pub/media/sds/houghton/Houghton-Pella-A.pdf

https://www.penriteoil.com.au/assets/pis_pdfs/LHM%20PLUS.pdf

I would agree with the above posters, that saving 20 bucks on a litre of brake fluid (that will likely last you for years) is not where I personally would choose to cut costs.

If you really want to save some money on brake fluid for you Shimano's, why not just use baby oil?  'Scientifically' proven by Sethsbikehacks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63VIuPiX3CA

Last edited by: shoreboy on April 14, 2021, 3:13 p.m., edited 2 times in total.
April 14, 2021, 3:04 p.m.

Good info. It's too bad I can't find the viscosity of the Shimano fluid anywhere. I can agree about the saving $20 on something that will last forever is not a biggie, I just hate the thought of way overpaying for something. Before the switch, MEC in NVan say they could get me a litre of Shimano for $70. I just hate price gouging and $70 is insane for something that costs maybe a a few dollars to produce.