Mid-fat. 27.5+ on the shore?

Feb. 17, 2016, 9:38 p.m.

So who has actually made the leap, switch, investment (joke), to a 27.5+ bike as a daily rider?

Anyone?

They look so cool. Saw the Norco one at John Henry. Not sure about just a hardtail one.

But how do they do as a fun rip all of Fromme and Seymour?

Viable? Capable? A great option? or Just an OK option?

Of course, your pictures proving your experience would validate and authenticate your highly regarded opinions.

Feb. 17, 2016, 10:17 p.m.

Photo from a day on Seymour (Bridle Path)

Using bike exclusively this winter (with all the inclement weather we've been having). It's been awesome.

Depends what you're wanting to do. This isn't my primary bike but it's been a great replacement of my 26" steel hardtail.

Shed head!

Feb. 18, 2016, 9:47 a.m.

I've yet to ride it, but a buddy invested in a set of 27.5+ wheels for his Honzo to try them out. He's not entirely sold on them yet. He's found that the tire pressure is really finicky. 1-2psi too much and you're bouncing around of everything, 1-2psi too little and you're rimming out on the smallest roots and rocks.

He's also tried them on a 111, and really preferred them on the full susser. Way more margin for error with the tire pressures.

I'm really intrigued by them, and want to try one. It's funny how pinner my 292.5 minions look in comparison to a 27.53.0!

Ride, don't slide.

Feb. 18, 2016, 7:11 p.m.

I've yet to ride it, but a buddy invested in a set of 27.5+ wheels for his Honzo to try them out. He's not entirely sold on them yet. He's found that the tire pressure is really finicky. 1-2psi too much and you're bouncing around of everything, 1-2psi too little and you're rimming out on the smallest roots and rocks.

He's also tried them on a 111, and really preferred them on the full susser. Way more margin for error with the tire pressures.

I'm really intrigued by them, and want to try one. It's funny how pinner my 292.5 minions look in comparison to a 27.53.0!

I wouldn't say that those psi values and results are entirely true from my experience, however monitoring your tire pressure is really important. I bought a cheap digital tire pressure gauge and I check it before each ride (which I do now for all my bikes). If you're off by 4-5 psi with the happy number being 15-16 you will experience what you're friend described. If you're pressure is accurate the wheels and tires are hard to beat for traction.

Shed head!

Feb. 19, 2016, 2:34 p.m.

I wouldn't say that those psi values and results are entirely true from my experience, however monitoring your tire pressure is really important. I bought a cheap digital tire pressure gauge and I check it before each ride (which I do now for all my bikes). If you're off by 4-5 psi with the happy number being 15-16 you will experience what you're friend described. If you're pressure is accurate the wheels and tires are hard to beat for traction.

It is the same on the large volume tires like the hans damph on my HT. Anything more that 22psi and it is bone chattering!

I an interested in one of the mid-fat full squishes from Specialized. Interesting bikes. I will have to through a leg over one.

Feb. 25, 2016, 7:41 a.m.

OK not a lot of traction here with this thread.
Perhaps next year a lot more people will have some 'plus' size experience.
I'm waiting to see good deals and what the range of competitive offerings is.
Now that Ibis, Scott, Norco have ones, I think this is getting interesting.
Hope to demo a FS 27.5+ version in the next few months and see how it compares.

Feb. 25, 2016, 12:59 p.m.

Im waiting for the tires to mature a bit…see if they stick around a few years till I would jump on them. I have thought about modding my Prime to fit the big + tires, but just have not done it.

Feb. 25, 2016, 1:06 p.m.

not a dentist, not interested

Feb. 25, 2016, 1:29 p.m.

not a dentist, not interested

Dentists always getting the bad rap.

Doc Kelly of Diamond Head dental in Squampton is a shredder on both ski and bike.

Feb. 25, 2016, 1:48 p.m.

Dentists always getting the bad rap.

Doc Kelly of Diamond Head dental in Squampton is a shredder on both ski and bike.

I know, it's just fun to make fun of others to make ourselves feel better :)

Feb. 25, 2016, 4:48 p.m.

Their rolling diameter is similar to a 29r arnt they? Wouldnt it be easy to put a set of fattie 27.5s on a 29r?

Feb. 25, 2016, 4:55 p.m.

So who has actually made the leap, switch, investment (joke), to a 27.5+ bike as a daily rider?

i've ridden and enjoyed both fat and plus bikes on the shore. i would definitely "invest" in one or the other as a daily driver, because a) they're fun as hell, and b) i could switch in 29" wheels for longer days or to switch things up without f'in up the geometry much

there isn't a production 27.5+ bike i would buy yet, personally, but i'm keeping my eyes peeled. i'll probably give it a year, no interest in paying to beta test new products or market test new standards

Their rolling diameter is similar to a 29r arnt they? Wouldnt it be easy to put a set of fattie 27.5s on a 29r?

fitting a 27.5+ tire on a 29er is possible in some cases but it depends on what rim, tire and frame (clearance). overall wheel+tire diameter is similar - but tire width, and where that width hits, will differ

I know, it's just fun to make fun of others to make ourselves feel better :)

what are you, eleven?

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

Feb. 25, 2016, 10:14 p.m.

what are you, eleven?

at least 50% of the time

Feb. 25, 2016, 10:39 p.m.

You can do that if the fattie tires fit in the chainstays. Most 29ers weren't designed with this much rubber in mind.

Feb. 25, 2016, 10:59 p.m.

at least 50% of the time

oh right - the other half of the time you're a crotchety old man who hates/fears change ;)

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave