Michelin front?

July 26, 2008, 11:36 a.m.

Anyone here running a Michelin on the front? If so what model # is it [HTML_REMOVED] what width? I'm looking to ditch my Kenda Nevegal in favor of either a Michy or a Kenda with the "Stickee" option. My current tire is a bit too narrow [HTML_REMOVED] also seems to wash out too much. I hear they're one of the more expensive tires.

Thread killer

July 26, 2008, 11:42 a.m.

i had the dh 24s on my old bike and i loved em they were 2.5s.
You should consider minions as well, I have 2 DHFs 2.5 on my bike now and i think they'r a bit grippier.
I had Nevagals between the michi's and minions, and i have to agree with the washing out. I only got them because my bro and friend were raving about them. they're good tires for riding in the wet though..

July 26, 2008, 12:25 p.m.

DH16 + 48 psi and you may find yourself going fast down hills
But on the other hand they are uber soft and wear out extra fast

I have no children and my tits are super perky.

July 26, 2008, 12:27 p.m.

Where are you and in what kind of conditions. Tires are generally use specific. Meaning a tire that is good in loose damp loam is not good for dry hard pack.

Biking: As addictive as cocaine, twice as expensive!

:safrica: - :canada:

July 26, 2008, 12:31 p.m.

DH16 + 48 psi and you may find yourself going fast down hills
But on the other hand they are uber soft and wear out extra fast

DH16's are one of the best mud tires but suck balls up in the interior. Hard square edged knobs for this stuff, like a high roller, DH24, DHF, etc. You can use a lot of different tires up here but a DH16 is one of the worse choices.

July 26, 2008, 1:53 p.m.

yeah the Comp 16 is a awesome choice for most of the year here on the NS, but its def out of its element during the dryiest parts of summer and at Whistler.

for drier climes i'd use a Michelin Comp24 2.5" for the frt.

rest of the year i use comp16 2.5", they wear fast but the traction is unbeatable.

as far as Nevegals go,i found them to be overrated..decent traction at first (but not comp16 good) and then u wear throu the outer softer duro onto the harder duro and they turn to crappy tires at best..

same goes for the blue groove.. that was another dud…for a tire that was supposed to be front specific it sure suked.

July 26, 2008, 2:23 p.m.

Once I started using Michelins I quickly realized that I would never go back to any other brand of tires. Comp 24 for hardpack, Comp 16 for mud and craggy steep stuff.

July 26, 2008, 2:27 p.m.

Comp24 is a good alrounder in 2.5.

I would suggest a Maxxis minion DHF 2.5 super tacky (better than 3c IMO).

The minion seems to hold corners a bit better with the long nobs.

July 26, 2008, 2:45 p.m.

Maxxis needs to make a 2.35" - 2.5" Larson TT dual ply for dry conditions. It rolls like a slick, rolls over to the side nicely, and has plenty of braking knobs.

July 26, 2008, 3:45 p.m.

I ran the Kenda stickee for years [HTML_REMOVED] liked it, but now my frends are telling me Michy's are the bomb. This Nevegal blue groove I got now sucks! I also disliked a Gazzalodi tire I tried because there was too much rollover in the tire when turning. I ride the shore all year with side trips to WBP [HTML_REMOVED] Squamish. Does Maxxis make the Gazza?

Thread killer

July 26, 2008, 4:34 p.m.

Maxxis needs to make a 2.35" - 2.5" Larson TT dual ply for dry conditions. It rolls like a slick, rolls over to the side nicely, and has plenty of braking knobs.

They do! : http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=17338

;)

July 26, 2008, 6:09 p.m.

Well call me a bitch and slap me silly!

July 26, 2008, 6:27 p.m.

I ran the Kenda stickee for years [HTML_REMOVED] liked it, but now my frends are telling me Michy's are the bomb. This Nevegal blue groove I got now sucks! I also disliked a Gazzalodi tire I tried because there was too much rollover in the tire when turning. I ride the shore all year with side trips to WBP [HTML_REMOVED] Squamish. Does Maxxis make the Gazza?

Nokian makes the Gazzalodi… it was only cool because it came in 3.0 widths which went well with Monster T's.

I'm running intense Edge FRO Lites, similar tread pattern to the Michelin, I've been thoroughly satisfied with the performance. Wear out pretty damn quick, though.

Check my stuff for sale!

July 26, 2008, 10:42 p.m.

Nevegals make excellent all year round tires. From you post it sounds like you tend to purchase a tire and use it for some time. The Nevegal is a great tire for this purpose. It lasts a long time, offers good performance in all conditions from wet to dry hard pack.

That being said I ride three Kenda tires at the moment. I ride the new Kenda Telonix 2.4" tire front and rear for the Shore and wet weather riding. It is similar to a Comp 16, but I find it has far better cornering bite, offers just as much braking grip, and in my experience lasts longer than the Michi. I use the new Kenda Excavator 2.5" front and rear for loose conditions. This tire offers cornering grip in dry loose conditions like no other tire I have ever used and fantastic braking grip. Because of the large blocky knobs I find the Excavator is less suited to wet weather riding on roots like the Shore.

Either buy an Excavator and a Telonix for summer and winter respectively or look at an all rounded tire like the Stick-E Nevegal, Comp 24 or Minion DHF as a good all-rounder for year round use.

Biking: As addictive as cocaine, twice as expensive!

:safrica: - :canada:

July 27, 2008, 11:17 a.m.

ran dual larson for whistler, it's amazing in wet garbo, and packed, but it lacks front traction in loose downhill pin.