maxxis swamp thing

Sept. 28, 2008, 11:23 p.m.

has anyone tried these and whats the oppinion on them? i was given a set in 2.5 supertacky, thinkin they may be a good winter tire…

http://www.maxxis.com/Bicycle/Downhill/Swampthing.aspx

Eye on the TV
'cause tragedy thrills me
Whatever flavor
It happens to be like:
"Killed by the husband"
"Drowned by the ocean"
"Shot by his own son"
"She used the poison in his tea
and kissed him goodbye"
That's my kind of story
It's no fun til someone dies

Sept. 29, 2008, 7:51 a.m.

I used them for the garbanzo race and they worked very well in the roots and mud. The slickrock corners were pretty slippery but the other tires (minion) did not work much better. They are pretty much very good on everything and predictable when doing hard cornering because they have a very rounded profile. I'm gonna put mine on soon because they get me stoked.

Sept. 29, 2008, 9:34 a.m.

I haven't used the swamp thing but I do have experience with mud tires.

The ones I have used (Geax) were great in soft dirt conditions and amazing in loam but not great in hard conditions. When it's soft they dig in and go exactly where you point them. It's tough to slow down because they tend to channel but because you can control the bike so well you almost don't need to. From the look of the Maxxis they would be similar. Bad for CBC - great for the Sunshine Coast.

Oct. 2, 2008, 3:16 a.m.

They are the best all round winter tyres for gravity bikes in the UK's 6 months of slop, they seem to do better at all winter conditions than a wetscream.

:r::fruit::r:

Oct. 2, 2008, 9:13 a.m.

In the mess of this years Garbanzo DH I used the Telonix, which I also used for the wet Mt. Washington race. What I like about the Telonix is that it bites into soft ground like a mud tire but still offers very predictable braking with large braking paddles, fantastic cornering grip even on harder surfaces, and still offers good grip on slick roots and rock. A fantastic tire for the wet winters on the west coast.

Biking: As addictive as cocaine, twice as expensive!

:safrica: - :canada:

Oct. 2, 2008, 10:39 a.m.

I had a pair of swampthings on the first RM Slayer that came out.

They were quickly switched over to a Mobster and a Highroller. They were not that good on slippery rocks and roots, but were good in the slop.

Lee then adopted them for his bike and he was cursing them on a wet ride down 7th! SUCKER! After we got home I took them off and cut them in half. Don't need to hear that whining on a ride because of poor cheap choices…

The telonix looks interesting. Super meaty knobs and I"m sure soft rubber.

Looking to ride the shore but don't know where to go?

Get a copy of the Locals Guide to North Shore Rides!

Follow MTB Trails on Twitter

Follow Sharon and Lee on Twitter

Oct. 2, 2008, 10:54 a.m.

The telonix looks interesting. Super meaty knobs and I"m sure soft rubber.

Yes and yes.

Biking: As addictive as cocaine, twice as expensive!

:safrica: - :canada:

Oct. 2, 2008, 11 a.m.

After we got home I took them off and cut them in half. Don't need to hear that whining on a ride because of poor cheap choices…

:lol:

Oct. 2, 2008, 7:03 p.m.

I using them on the rear of my bike and i love them … they suck on wet woodwork .. i mean suck but any were else they hold a line well … i rode burke on it last weekend and it was perfect on the wet loam ….. and the shore 2 weekends before that even cbc …. i think there a great slow speed technical tire as well .. im running the 2.35 version tho …. i do wanna try these new Kenda's Timmy can't shut up about

RIDE BIKES
:canada:

Oct. 3, 2008, 5:01 p.m.

I love the Swamp thing super tackys.

only 35 but still beat the 30-39 BC cup Champion 4 out of 6 races

Oct. 3, 2008, 7:53 p.m.

ya mine are super tacky as well

RIDE BIKES
:canada: