Maxxis Ignitor or Larsen

March 22, 2011, 11:09 p.m.

well I am in a bit of a dilemma here. I am running Larsen tires on my ust Deemax wheels. when I bought the wheels the guy included some Maxxis Ignitor tubeless tires basically brand new.

Im leaning towards tubeless mostly because I have heard nothing but great things and fixing a flat on a Deemax wheel is a bitch when you are trail side without heavy duty tire levers.However I really like my Larsens probably one of my favorite tires yet.

Will I be sacrificing traction switching to the Ignitors from my Larsens?

March 23, 2011, midnight

I haven't tried Larsens but the Ignitors sure sucked in the wet. I ended up switching to 2.35 DHFs instead.

March 23, 2011, 6:10 a.m.

It's wierd, i have met about 10% of Ignitor users who love them. Everyone else hated them.

March 23, 2011, 6:21 a.m.

why not just throw some sealant in and run the Larsens tubeless?

March 23, 2011, 7:09 a.m.

Larsons are good, Ignitors suck donkey balls.

March 23, 2011, 7:27 a.m.

I have ran ignitors a few times. Generally becuase I seem to find one laying around the garage when I need a new tire. They usually last me about 2 weeks before I put something better on. What about larsen in the back and dhf in the front? I prefer to run UST specific tires on the rear when I am running tubeless as the sidewalls on regular tires with goo seem to fold a little too easy.

March 23, 2011, 7:43 a.m.

Bit weird to be running a deemax wheelset with super pinner xc tires, no?

March 23, 2011, 8:14 a.m.

why not just throw some sealant in and run the Larsens tubeless?

^^this and that vv

March 23, 2011, 8:34 a.m.

I was thinking the same thing.

www.FVMBA.com 

"If everything seems in control, you're not going fast enough."
-Mario Andretti-

March 23, 2011, 8:49 a.m.

I love my Ignitors. Good balance between weight [HTML_REMOVED] meat. Put them on after a few disappointing rides on Crossmarks (too squirrely in the wet… front wheel washing out on berm carves, etc.) which are similar to Larsens I think. On my XC bike.

March 23, 2011, 9:17 a.m.

I found the Ignitor,2.35 UST OK. Not great just OK, in the summer when it was dry. 2.35 Ignitor is nothing close to super pinner xc. Last night for the first time in maybe ten years of riding tubeless, I folded the tire and the bead popped and the air went away. Schwalbe Nobby Nic, 2.35 tubeless ready with Stan's on Stan's Crest rims with 20 psi. Apparently not enough pressure for whatever I did. Front wheel.

Debate? Bikes are made for riding not pushing.

March 23, 2011, 10:57 a.m.

I have a dual ply 2.35 Larsen DH that I put on my big bike in the summer, it's a big 2.35, and a really awesome tyre for DH/FR use IMO.

Then again, I really do like the Larsen as a rear tyre.

March 23, 2011, 12:09 p.m.

fixing a flat on a Deemax wheel is a bitch when you are trail side without heavy duty tire levers.

Are you thinking that UST tires will go on and off more easily that other non UST tires? Or that with UST flats are less likely and therefore you are less likely to need to remove a tire trail side?

A person shouldn't need tire levers at all with a UST rim. If you pop the bead off the seat into the drop section channel in the middle of the rim you should be able to pull the tire off by hand. And I mean the entire circumference of the bead should be popped off the bead seat.

I have used steel beaded Michelin DH tires on UST rims and did not need tools but I think some tires may be a tighter fit. So maybe that's what you are referring to. That said, a friend of mine was adamant that you needed tire levers to remove a UST tire from a UST rim, the shop told her that. I demonstrated in a good 12 seconds how that was bull crap.

Debate? Bikes are made for riding not pushing.

March 23, 2011, 11:35 p.m.

I dont understand why larsens have such a bad reputation as a freeride/dh tire they hook up way better than nevegals in my opinion. I am also a bit of a weight weenie when is comes to rotational weight.

Im doubting the larsens will work tubeless cause they are folding bead which doesnt seal nearly as well as wire bead.

March 24, 2011, 5:30 a.m.

I dont understand why larsens have such a bad reputation as a freeride/dh tire they hook up way better than nevegals in my opinion. I am also a bit of a weight weenie when is comes to rotational weight.

Im doubting the larsens will work tubeless cause they are folding bead which doesnt seal nearly as well as wire bead.

Have you tried?

I have 2 bikes in my garage running tubeless and folding bead tires.