Maxxis DHF MaxxGrip or Assegai MaxxGrip

June 15, 2020, 8:37 p.m.

Posted by: andy-eunson

Another option that I really like a lot is the Michelin Wild Enduro front and rear. Excellent tires.

I like the Wild Enduros too (currently running some in Magi-X front, Gum-X rear), but they’re pretty different from the Maxxis options. Both the DHF and Assegai in MaxxGrip feel quite forgiving and compliant, like they conform to the ground. The Wild Enduro Front feels like the knobs are quite a bit stiffer. They achieve grip by biting into dirt rather than conforming to it, which makes them great in soft and loose conditions, but less good than the Maxxis tires on wet roots and rocks, and requiring of a more committed riding style to get them to bite.

Another tire that I ran recently that I think is quite underrated is the Continental Der Baron. It has tall, widely spaced knobs that dig in nicely, but is somehow good on wet rocks and roots, striking a good balance between compliance and support.

Last edited by: D_C_ on June 15, 2020, 8:40 p.m., edited 2 times in total.
June 15, 2020, 9:26 p.m.

Does Maxxis have a DHF Exo Maxxgrip in 29? Looking at the Maxxis website and not seeing it there...

June 15, 2020, 10:15 p.m.

Posted by: Bull_Dozer

Does Maxxis have a DHF Exo Maxxgrip in 29? Looking at the Maxxis website and not seeing it there...

Yup. I'm running one now on the front of my hardtail. It's this one (3CG = MaxxGrip):

TB00144000 29X.2.50WT 63-622 60 FOLDABLE 1,017 TRIPLE 50 3CG/EXO/TR Black MOUNTAIN

Last edited by: D_C_ on June 15, 2020, 10:16 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
June 15, 2020, 11:47 p.m.

I've not tried the assegai yet but if you are going dd and maxx grip (always) I can recommend the shorty up front in wt width. The weight is much the same and the softer compound means it doesn't act like a spike at all on harder ground and grips like no other tyre I've ever run literally everywhere else. Doesn't roll fast or last long but you can't have everything.

June 16, 2020, 6:57 a.m.

For trails on the map for summer DHF MaxxGrip. For off map trails Assguy MaxxGrip. You really can't go wrong with DHF MaxxGrip, it is an extremely versatile tire. As mentioned the Assguy can pack up in the slop. But in dry to hero loam the Assguy is deadly.

June 16, 2020, 7:53 a.m.

Other than the tried and tested DHR II in the back - what other rear tires are folks running?

I tossed on an old Aggressor lately (2.3 on a wider rim...so its more square than should be), and its performing decently well...even in the mud. I know it can have a vague feeling in the dry stuff. I've got a back-up HRII I could use if needed but I know they roll slow. the Onza that I bought was crap, so that's headed to the bin. I also have an almost-new Specialized Hillbilly that I will toss up front once my DHF dies...

June 16, 2020, 1:02 p.m.

Posted by: D_C_

Yup. I'm running one now on the front of my hardtail. It's this one (3CG = MaxxGrip):

TB00144000 29X.2.50WT 63-622 60 FOLDABLE 1,017 TRIPLE 50 3CG/EXO/TR Black MOUNTAIN

Thanks - it's funny to me how confusing/technical tires can be. 

Anyone know where these are available for cheap(ish)? Couldn't seem to find them on the regular sites and I refuse to pay $120/tire that most shops seem to charge. Have the DD Assegai Maxxgrip, which I really like, but would be good to shed 300g on the front tire for the summer.

June 16, 2020, 1:11 p.m.

Posted by: D_C_

Thanks - it's funny to me how confusing/technical tires can be. 

Anyone know where these are available for cheap(ish)? Couldn't seem to find them on the regular sites and I refuse to pay $120/tire that most shops seem to charge. Have the DD Assegai Maxxgrip, which I really like, but would be good to shed 300g on the front tire for the summer.

TBS has the MaxxTerra, but not the MaxxGrip in the size you want for $69. Not sure if that helps or not.

https://www.tbsbikeparts.com/product/maxxis-minion-dhf-3c-maxxterra-tr-exo-29-x-2-5-tire/

June 16, 2020, 1:42 p.m.

Posted by: shoreboy

TBS has the MaxxTerra, but not the MaxxGrip in the size you want for $69. Not sure if that helps or not.

https://www.tbsbikeparts.com/product/maxxis-minion-dhf-3c-maxxterra-tr-exo-29-x-2-5-tire/

Thanks but looking specifically for the Maxxgrip. Seems like Maxxgrip is pretty rare to find for multiple types of Maxxis tires. Tried the Assagei in Maxxgrip and now I don't think I can go back to harder rubber (for the front tire). I don't know about you guys, but my front tires rarely wear at all... so might as well go for the softer compound to get the extra grip.

June 16, 2020, 2:40 p.m.

Posted by: Taz123

Other than the tried and tested DHR II in the back - what other rear tires are folks running?

I tossed on an old Aggressor lately (2.3 on a wider rim...so its more square than should be), and its performing decently well...even in the mud. I know it can have a vague feeling in the dry stuff. I've got a back-up HRII I could use if needed but I know they roll slow. the Onza that I bought was crap, so that's headed to the bin. I also have an almost-new Specialized Hillbilly that I will toss up front once my DHF dies...

I'm running a new Gen 3 e*13 LG1 EN Race in the back (their version of Double Down but about 60g lighter). Have the lighter TRS Mopo on the front (similar to a Maxxgrip Exo+). Suuper happy with this combo for riding around Squamish and Pemby. Not too heavy, rolls reasonably well, and grip better than Maxxis DHR IMHO....I had 3 straight Maxxis tires with wobbly casings that I had to warranty so no more Maxxis for me...

June 16, 2020, 2:42 p.m.

I think I found it: https://www.wiggle.com/maxxis-minion-dhf-mtb-wt-tire-3c-exo-tr-1

June 16, 2020, 10:53 p.m.

Posted by: Jenkins5

I'm running a new Gen 3 e*13 LG1 EN Race in the back (their version of Double Down but about 60g lighter). Have the lighter TRS Mopo on the front (similar to a Maxxgrip Exo+). Suuper happy with this combo for riding around Squamish and Pemby. Not too heavy, rolls reasonably well, and grip better than Maxxis DHR IMHO....I had 3 straight Maxxis tires with wobbly casings that I had to warranty so no more Maxxis for me...

Keen to experiment again with a non maxxis next, e13 are high on the list. Tried magic marys last time but liked minions more. Maxx grip dhfs front and back on now but they're not going to last much longer!

June 17, 2020, 10:32 a.m.

Posted by: Kevin26

Posted by: Jenkins5

Keen to experiment again with a non maxxis next, e13 are high on the list. Tried magic marys last time but liked minions more. Maxx grip dhfs front and back on now but they're not going to last much longer!

Try the combo I listed above for sure.... If you like the softest combo front and rear do an LG1 EN Mopo for the rear instead of the Race compound. Race compound is similar to Maxx Terra so wears a bit better as a rear tire.

June 17, 2020, 7:28 p.m.

Has anyone ordered stuff from Wiggle.com? Hit or miss on extra fees like duty/taxes?

Last edited by: Ouch on June 17, 2020, 7:28 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
June 18, 2020, 8:33 a.m.

I think I did long ago. Dont remember there being anything out of the ordinary. Since they own CRC, I wonder if they ship in a similar way? Taking the option of all shipping/taxes up front is usually the safest bet (at least it was with CRC)